Sponsored

How fuzzy do you let your winch rope get?

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
I recently took this 11-year old 3/8 Technora line off my old truck, thinking to use it as an extension and backup on my new JT (brand new line came on its new winch).

I get it, ten years is probably a smart retirement schedule. I’ll cut off the ends, which show the most wear, and splice eyes on the fresh ends (just for practice if nothing else).

Would you use this as extension and backup, or put in trash?

Jeep Wrangler JL How fuzzy do you let your winch rope get? 23566E32-8146-4C99-AAFA-297BC0E67386
Sponsored

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I'd probably toss it. It's just not cable enough for me.

verapx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 1982 CJ-8, 2012 Ram 2500 4WD
You might make a couple 10' to 15' assist ropes with grab handles to tie off on a cage or frame or such to help support a tippy rig.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I recently took this 11-year old 3/8 Technora line off my old truck, thinking to use it as an extension and backup on my new JT (brand new line came on its new winch).

I get it, ten years is probably a smart retirement schedule. I’ll cut off the ends, which show the most wear, and splice eyes on the fresh ends (just for practice if nothing else).

Would you use this as extension and backup, or put in trash?

Jeep Wrangler JL How fuzzy do you let your winch rope get? 23566E32-8146-4C99-AAFA-297BC0E67386
The fraying doesn't bother as much as the UV damage. Synthetics do not do well with UV light and after 10 years; it's just time to toss it. There's no recovery situation where this would be worth breaking. It would make a good tire swing rope though or use it for knot tying or synthetic splicing practice/training.

OP
OP
fourfa

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
For what it’s worth, it’s never been in direct sun other than during winching. The winch was totally enclosed in the bumper, with a lid hatch cover (Aluminess bumper for 2nd gen Tacoma), plus webbing sleeve on the hook end of the rope, plus duct tape over the thimble. So minimal UV exposure. But all ten years of ozone, road spray, dust and dirt etc.

Thanks for the advice so far. I can afford a new rope, it’s more a question of how do you decide when to retire gear.
Sponsored