Sponsored

How fast do you drive your 2 door JL on the Highway?

droadrunner

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 1500 ,2018 Jeep Cherokee , 2018 JL wrangler
I am 68 years old with a new 18 JLR 2 Door and 2.0 liter with the Stock 33" tires. I find that I have been highway traveling at about 62 MPH when I am not paying attention and relaxed. The speed limit is 70. Again, it may be an age thing, but, I am gripping the wheel at 70 and feel like things could get squirrely with the short wheel base. I probably just need to drive more highway miles.

What speeds are people cruising at with their 2 doors. The 4:10 axels may be part of it or maybe I need to adjust my tires.

Has anybody ever gone 90 MPH in a 2 door? Has anybody ever checked on top speed? Assume both questions imply on a Certified High Speed track or in West Texas on I-20 (last time I was there the posted speed limit was 85).

v/r rch
We just came back from a trip ,we have a jl 2door sport with a set of rubicon wheels and a set of bf Goodrich k02s and a Falcon steering stabilizer, we ran 70 to 75 mph in the rain without a problem also got 21 mph !
Sponsored

debjl2018

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have a 2 Dr JL, stock everything except the antenna lol. Speed limit in Michigan is 70. I routinely drive 75-80 and no, not because I’m running late...I actually usually leave home early lol. Just have a lead foot I guess. Sometimes passing other cars I’ve hit high 80’s without realizing it, and even low 90’s a few times. Only reason I knew I hit the 90’s was I looked at the speedometer. That freaked me out more than the actual handling....it handles beautifully....but I did slow down a little. I also slow down in rain, snow and windy conditions, and when I’m in the mood, I’ll ditch the freeway and take the scenic route home. Then I stick to the speed limit and do a lot of waving ;). By the way I’m a 64 year old “girl” who’s loving her first Jeep :)

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Me again. I will drop my tire pressure today. May try 30-35 and see how it feels. Thanks to all who make this forum great. Anybody driving the Texas I-10 or I-20 where the posted speed limits run 85 MPH?
v/r rch
What does your factory door sticker say your tire pressure should be? Have you looked? That is the pressure I would run.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Usually drive my 2Dr between 45 and 65 because that is where I am comfortable driving (and its the best for mileage).
I am 57 and tire pressure is alway 41-43. I have driven in the 70's for extended periods of time and the Jeep feels like its handling fine....but like "Jayvis" wrote in his post; I drive in my comfort zone...which typically is slower than other drivers on any given road and I am passed by everyone..... Its okay because I am enjoying the ride...and I try not to get in a hurry. (plus no worries of speeding tickets).
Now when I am driving my Corvette....its the opposite; I am passing everyone. But between the two, I prefer the Jeep :):jk:.

Why are you running 41-43 PSI? Just curios..

Jeep spec says 37, I am thinking that is too high contributing to squirliness in all new jeeps (+ death wobble, yes mines back too, 4k first, 8k next, but that is another thread)..

I was talking to the Maxxis tire engineer, he said 22-25psi max because the JLUR is very light... I have owned my jeep for 6 months with multiple trips to Tahoe area from So Cal (8 - 9 hours on I5)… mostly, I have run right at 37 PSI but I have experimented with 25 psi and it is a big difference in handling and MPG..

Others on this forum recommended the chalk test.. I have not done that yet.. but I know the BFG are wearing flat at 37PSI at city speeds because I can see the print in dirt and from dirt to pavement, so I think there is more to it than the full tread contact...

Meaning when I pull off the freeway after hours at 70+ to fill the tank running at 25 PSI, I could see the contact was only about 8 inches wide due to the centrical force at speed. This was on both my BFG AT and my 37" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers (about 6" of 12.5" contact @ 37 PSI)..

As others have stated well, keep the speed down, the tires and Jeep are not designed for it...

If I was going to run often at 70+ I would put adjustable shocks to tighten it up and 125+ speed rated tires...

Then the Jeep would be fine..

Just my cents for your amusement and consideration..

Thanks for your posts!

TC

You all are great!

TC

Shawnslady

First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon
I've had my jeep for two weeks now. I'm feeling more comfortable each day. Coming home in a wind storm and frost heaves in Vermont spooked me on day 1. I have mud tires on, thinking all terrains might help. I find I'm fine on good roads doing the speed limit. Frost heaves....forget it !

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I have mud tires on, thinking all terrains might help. I find I'm fine on good roads doing the speed limit. Frost heaves....forget it !
You might wanna try the BFG T/A KO2s. I'm running at around 33 psi (cold) and they are pretty quiet and smooth... especially compared to M//T tires.

OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
Dropped my pressure to 33 cold which takes me to 36 after warming up (TPMS). Much better tracking. Thanks to all. rch

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Why are you running 41-43 PSI? Just curios..

Jeep spec says 37, I am thinking that is too high contributing to squirliness in all new jeeps (+ death wobble, yes mines back too, 4k first, 8k next, but that is another thread)..

I was talking to the Maxxis tire engineer, he said 22-25psi max because the JLUR is very light... I have owned my jeep for 6 months with multiple trips to Tahoe area from So Cal (8 - 9 hours on I5)… mostly, I have run right at 37 PSI but I have experimented with 25 psi and it is a big difference in handling and MPG..

Others on this forum recommended the chalk test.. I have not done that yet.. but I know the BFG are wearing flat at 37PSI at city speeds because I can see the print in dirt and from dirt to pavement, so I think there is more to it than the full tread contact...

Meaning when I pull off the freeway after hours at 70+ to fill the tank running at 25 PSI, I could see the contact was only about 8 inches wide due to the centrical force at speed. This was on both my BFG AT and my 37" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers (about 6" of 12.5" contact @ 37 PSI)..

As others have stated well, keep the speed down, the tires and Jeep are not designed for it...

If I was going to run often at 70+ I would put adjustable shocks to tighten it up and 125+ speed rated tires...

Then the Jeep would be fine..

Just my cents for your amusement and consideration..

Thanks for your posts!

TC

You all are great!

TC
I am running 41-43....ON THE ROAD, the Jeep handles like a Mini-Van and it gets excellent mileage...typically 21.5-22 in town stop n go traffic.
37 psi is typically good for both on and off road. Off road I will air down to about 15-17. Of course Jeep doesn’t recommend airing down as low as we do....but we do it none the less.
I find that 41-43 range allows the Jeep to roll easier and it maintains speed longer when coasting.
With the exception of my mileage.....my observations are “seat of the pants “ science.

As far as squirrels go.... Over 8.5K on the odometer and I haven’t experienced any squirreliness or death wobble.

Death Wobble is NOT caused by air pressure. If you are getting death wobble....something else is DEFINITELY causing it.....not a few extra psi in the tires.

I can’t comment on “Maxxis tires as I have never had any. But it’s my Jeep, and we are all different here...and no doubt we all do things a little different......so to answer your question why do I run 41-43 PSI....I don’t know...except the Jeep “Feels” like it’s handling better......(for the street only).

Nordy

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Blue
18k miles so far, stock Rubicon tires and lift. Daily comfortable 75-80mph. Vehicle was speed limited by the engineers to about 98-99mph in my experience. Takes a while to get used to but it's the most work to drive a modern vehicle I've ever experienced. Lots of play in the steering/a large dead spot.

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
On a clear day (light gusts of wind) on a Stock everything Sport 2DR 2.0T Soft Top/ 39 PSI all around -

Highest speed 98mph - passing traffic going 85-88mph.

It felt fine. Not as flat as the Camaro I traded in for my Jeep - Named MashPotato. I'm learning how to take corners in this thing. Making a wide slow(ing) turn 31-26mph - over a pothole. First set of wheels went off the ground second set of wheels went off the ground. I was midair (think horse jumping over pole) and the MashPotato did a torso twist landing. Scared me more than going 98mph - this thing moves.
Do you ever regret trading in a muscle car for a Jeep? Thinking of doing the same

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
When I had my JK 3.8 6 spd I buried the speedometer many times, same with the JKU, this JLU I've hit 100mph, this JLU 3.6 appears to be bat shit faster than the JKU 3.6 6spd.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
2017 JK Rubicon Hardrock 66-speed manual. New road, concrete 4 lane with median. Hit 100mph. All she had. Held it for about 2 minutes and let out of it. Fairly stable. Hood flutter was off the charts.

Goat

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler jl sport 2.0
I don't go over 70, I don't see a need to be any higher. It's a jeep not a corvette

Watchthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
When the speed limit allows and not to windy it feels solid to me running 80.

68A93A2D-ADD7-4757-A21A-5D5F36A6CB73.jpeg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Do you ever regret trading in a muscle car for a Jeep? Thinking of doing the same
Wranglers are as much or more fun then sports cars. Just in a different way. I have a couple of pretty fun sports cars and my Rubicon. I hardly ever drive the sport cars now. City is just too crowded to be able to open it up. I usually prefer the JL on a daily basis even if it's bumper to bumper. The JL is a lot better over all the pot holes also. I don't even worry about bending rims or damaging tires anymore. It's a lot more stress free driving experience. Trust me, you will not regret your Wrangler.
Sponsored