Sponsored

How fast do you drive your 2 door JL on the Highway?

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I am 68 years old with a new 18 JLR 2 Door and 2.0 liter with the Stock 33" tires. I find that I have been highway traveling at about 62 MPH when I am not paying attention and relaxed. The speed limit is 70. Again, it may be an age thing, but, I am gripping the wheel at 70 and feel like things could get squirrely with the short wheel base. I probably just need to drive more highway miles.

What speeds are people cruising at with their 2 doors. The 4:10 axels may be part of it or maybe I need to adjust my tires.

Has anybody ever gone 90 MPH in a 2 door? Has anybody ever checked on top speed? Assume both questions imply on a Certified High Speed track or in West Texas on I-20 (last time I was there the posted speed limit was 85.

v/r rch
Good to hear, I thought I was the only baby boomer that has "slowed" down, literally! I have a stock 4 door, but it is squirrely. Wind gusts, truck turbulents, pot holes keep me 65-70 mph on the highway. That's ok. It's a brick, no aerodynamics. Lowering my tire pressure to 33 ish has helped.​
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Speed limit is 70 around here.

On a trip across Alligator Alley (Everglades), I set the cruise at 78 and it was fine, but it was sucking gas down, dropped down to 14mpg on the computer.. On the return trip I set the cruise at 74 and it rose back up to mid 16's MPG.

Stability wise and handling, I didn't have a problem with either speed, even hit 80+ at times during passing.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I am 68 years old with a new 18 JLR 2 Door and 2.0 liter with the Stock 33" tires. I find that I have been highway traveling at about 62 MPH when I am not paying attention and relaxed. The speed limit is 70. Again, it may be an age thing, but, I am gripping the wheel at 70 and feel like things could get squirrely with the short wheel base. I probably just need to drive more highway miles.

v/r rch
Sounds like your Wrangler has shit steering that plagues LOTS (including myself) of owners.

Huge thread here all about it here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
2-door almost a year in... Takes about 43 seconds to get to 60; I've done 80-85 with no concerns. Stock tires at 36.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just drive whatever the flow of traffic is going, usually 75-80, no problems w/ our stock Michelin A/S, and not much different w/ our 33" Patagonias but a bit noisier. I'll slow it down a bit in heavy crosswinds though.
Same here. Maybe the highest speed of 85 here but typically around 73-78. I prefer several vehicle lengths between myself and whatever is front of me (if its a semi the distance between the Earth and our closest star suffices so I can avoid a cracked windshield). That really is what dictates my speed.

Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
In Cali, I remember doing 90 in my old '78 Honda Accord, and was passed by cops doing 95. The speed limit is 65 only so they can pull you over any time they feel like it, which most of the time they don't.

I do drive my Jeep at 80-95 on SF Bay Area freeways, when traffic allows. I have seen a YJ doing the same. My tire pressure is 28-30 or so, I harp on this quite a bit, the JL gets squirrly with higher tire pressure.

The reality of travel out west is that we have long distances to travel, and outside of heavy traffic, speeds get quite high. On I-10 the semi-tractors do 90-95+, especially if unladen. Go slower, and you will be passed, by every semi on the road. Which sucks, as they all spit rocks, drop dirt, have bad, worn out tires, and tired, overworked truckers driving them.

The real limit to speed on a Jeep, regardless of model or year, is your tires, which are likely rated for 99 or 93 mph. It is not a good idea to exceed those limits, regardless of tire pressure, or fancy lift and aftermarket steering gear.

You really do need to drive a speed you are comfortable with, that feels safe to you, and yet you still need to keep up with traffic to be safe.

I might note that I recently revised the set up on my side mirrors, now my driver side mirror only points directly into the blind spot, and no where else. I also practice high speed driving, to stay safe and fast.

!!! One more thing... the Jeep really likes a little gas in the corners! It unloads the front end, and helps the Jeep settle into the turn. You just gotta let off the throttle before the corner, let the Jeep slow, and ease back on at the turn in point. Just like a race car, only slower and more truck-like. And watch out for negatively banked turns at high speed, those are bad for any car, but extra bad for the live axle Jeep that wants to track every bank it sees.

Peace, and safe, fun driving!

Last edited:

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I typically do 70-75 MPH with no problem. Jeep feels very stable, no steering problems/wander. Just lucky I guess.

JL Sport S, 2 door, V6, Auto, 33" BFG KO2's at 34 psi.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I’m 68. My 2018 JL Sport is my third 2 door Wrangler. I have routinely driven them at 75 on the highway. They all seemed to handle it well. The one time it does feel a little iffy to drive that fast is during an extreme high wind weather event. The tall Wrangler is easily buffeted in my experience.
I will say that the turbo 2.0 which I have is a lot snappier accelerating than my previous 6 cylinder Jeeps. It reminds me of my 2015 Subaru WRX which used to make my anus pucker when I goosed it.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
its whatever the fast lane calls for typically 70-80. Had it to 90 coming back from Myrtle Beach no issues, again just going with the flow of the fast lane. I do grip it when coming up on an 18wheeler and also when passing them where the wind turbulence hits.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Gas mileage takes a nosedive when you get much over 60. That said, I typically cruise at 70. I’ll occasionally hit 80, but then I remember I’m driving a Wrangler and ease up.

90 is not safe in a 2dr.

35psi for my stock BFGs.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Me again. I will drop my tire pressure today. May try 30-35 and see how it feels. Thanks to all who make this forum great. Anybody driving the Texas I-10 or I-20 where the posted speed limits run 85 MPH?
v/r rch
All the time in a 4dr Rubicon on 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Love it, no qualms. I slow down when it's wet outside, but I have no issues tooling along at 85 with the 2.0. I do slow down more than I would in my Audi TTRS for turns, though. Wind noise gets pretty high above about 75, but that's my only major complaint.

I had a 2dr JKR, and that was more squirrelly, but up to about 75 it was fine.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This last road trip to Florida from NY (this past Tue.) was a tad over 1300 mi. 99% of the trip on the interstates.

Did the trip in less then 21 hrs. Was pulling an aluminum trailer with my Fatboy 01 on it. Back seat out, and the back was loaded to the gills.. 8-) My gal pal was with me.

My average speed was 72 mph.... but often reached say 83-90 mph. Average mpg was about 16.5. Very aggressive driving so that was expected.

Avg. gas price on trip, was about $2.43 per gal.

My trailer has larger, high speed rated tires.... cause yes, with speeds like I do you want high speed tires.

Anyway, my 2 dr. Rubi, stock tires, pulled terrifically. My aluminum trailer pulls very well. Loaded properly, never a wag.. The JL tracks fine, no wandering. Pulls very strong. A pleasure..

What really made this last road trip a real pleasure was the newly installed, Pedal Commander for JL... What a great addition to my JL.

No, the Pedal Commander does not increase power as it is not a tuner BUT, geeez, the JL is so responsive, throttle wise.

You touch the gas pedal and immediately, the JL flies so to speak.

When you are trailering on the interstate at 70+ mph, especially, it is nice when your vehicle can get a move on when necessary..

The Pedal Commander is a must have in my book... I realize this now that I have experienced/used one.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Owned 2-doors. I had a 2-door TJ, JK and now a JL. Have a totally stock '19 JLR 2.0T now and drive with the flow of traffic with absolutely no issues. That usually means 10+mph over the speed limit. 75-85 is very common. Wind noise picks up around 75 but it's not really annoying if the radio is on. I have the 8.4" with Alpine and the ANC actually works at canceling noise! My friend has a '18 JLR without the ANC and it's noticeably louder under similar conditions. This JLR is a LOT more stable and quieter then my old '15 2-door JK. The acceleration on streets and highway is like night and day between this 2.0 and my old 3.6. The extra torque makes passing effortless. I actually like the speed alert feature because it's so easy to exceed the speed limit unintentionally. By far the most powerful, stable, agile, quiet Wrangler I have owned. It's incredible how quiet the K02s are considering the treads.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The simple and most logical answer is to drive your Wrangler as fast as you feel comfortable, without exceeding the speed limit by much. Try not to worry about all those vehicles passing you. Just relax and enjoy the ride.
Sponsored