Sponsored

How fast do you drive your 2 door JL on the Highway?

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
I am 68 years old with a new 18 JLR 2 Door and 2.0 liter with the Stock 33" tires. I find that I have been highway traveling at about 62 MPH when I am not paying attention and relaxed. The speed limit is 70. Again, it may be an age thing, but, I am gripping the wheel at 70 and feel like things could get squirrely with the short wheel base. I probably just need to drive more highway miles.

What speeds are people cruising at with their 2 doors. The 4:10 axels may be part of it or maybe I need to adjust my tires.

Has anybody ever gone 90 MPH in a 2 door? Has anybody ever checked on top speed? Assume both questions imply on a Certified High Speed track or in West Texas on I-20 (last time I was there the posted speed limit was 85).

v/r rch
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
I am 68 years old with a new 18 JLR 2 Door and 2.0 liter with the Stock 33" tires. I find that I have been highway traveling at about 62 MPH when I am not paying attention and relaxed. The speed limit is 70. Again, it may be an age thing, but, I am gripping the wheel at 70 and feel like things could get squirrely with the short wheel base. I probably just need to drive more highway miles.

What speeds are people cruising at with their 2 doors. The 4:10 axels may be part of it or maybe I need to adjust my tires.

Has anybody ever gone 90 MPH in a 2 door? Has anybody ever checked to top speed? Assume both questions imply on a Certified High Speed track OR in West Texas on Hight 20 (last time I was there the posted speed limit was 85.

v/r rch
I'm 66 with a3 month old jl 2dr sport /2 liter. Your doing fine , just drive it as much ad you can. You will get more comfortable in a hurry. Your right at first its kinda spooky. Have had ours up to about 85.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
I was quite comfortable cruising at 75 with the stock suspension & 33's. Even with a lift and 37's, it's pleasant at those speeds. Unless it's really windy.

Is this your first Jeep? Not trying to be facetious, but it does take some getting used to.

OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With spring they are now at 40-41. Feb/Mar temps 37-39. I might do a chalk test.

v/r rch

Sponsored

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, speaking of your tires, what pressure are they at?
Good point. I was running 28-30 PSI on the stock KO2's and it was a nice ride.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
With spring they are now at 40-41. Feb/Mar temps 37-39. I might do a chalk test.

v/r rch
As others have indicated, tire pressure makes a huge difference. 40 psi feels like trying to balance on a beach ball. My experience has been life is a lot better with tire pressures below 34 psi.

I have a 4" lift and 37's, I can drive with one finger at 75 mph, although I tend to drive around 65-70.

OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Irishtim7: First Jeep was in 1965. 1951 CJ3A. Four cylinder f-head. Only went about 58 down hill. CJ-7 1976 (AMC). Drove it for 10 years. 1996 Grand Cherokee (junked last winter). 2014 Cherokee Trail Hawk (wife has custody). Now 2018 2 door Rubi.

Your point is well taken. This is my first short wheel base Jeep (picked it on purpose) since my 76 CJ-7. I know I will have to put some miles on it before I am comfortable again, but, I am looking for what you current "young" drivers consider normal operating ranges and it will give me a goal to work towards.

v/r rch

Last edited:
OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me again. I will drop my tire pressure today. May try 30-35 and see how it feels. Thanks to all who make this forum great. Anybody driving the Texas I-10 or I-20 where the posted speed limits run 85 MPH?
v/r rch

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Irishtim7: First Jeep was in 1965. 1951 CJ3A. Four cylinder f-head. Only went about 58 down hill. CJ-7 1976 (AMC). Drove it for 10 years. 1996 Grand Cherokee (junked last winter). 2017 Cherokee Trail Hawk (wife has custody). Now 2018 2 door Rubi.

Your point is well taken. This is my first short wheel base Jeep (picked it on purpose) since my 76 CJ-7. I know I will have to put some miles on it before I am comfortable again, but, I am looking for what you current "young" drivers consider normal operating ranges and it will give me a goal to work towards.

v/r rch
That's more Jeep experience than me. Haha. I had an XJ back in the day and traded in a 4 door JK for the 2 door JL. Honestly, I think the 2 door JL drives better than my JKU did. As mentioned above, tire pressure makes a huge difference.

Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT

Has anybody ever gone 90 MPH in a 2 door? Has anybody ever checked on top speed? Assume both questions imply on a Certified High Speed track or in West Texas on I-20 (last time I was there the posted speed limit was 85.

v/r rch
I've got the Sport S with the all season tires (I know - no comments- it came w the Jeep) and I keep it around 60~65 and really don't exceed 70 very often.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just drive whatever the flow of traffic is going, usually 75-80, no problems w/ our stock Michelin A/S, and not much different w/ our 33" Patagonias but a bit noisier. I'll slow it down a bit in heavy crosswinds though.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I've definitely hit 90 in mine. I'm not sure what the top speed would be, but I'm also fairly certain there would be a governor on it at 100. I generally travel 75 when I'm cruising. I did spend 7 years driving a TJ on the highway, up to 80, and that was rough to say the lease. So perhaps that desensitized me.

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Me again. I will drop my tire pressure today. May try 30-35 and see how it feels. Thanks to all who make this forum great. Anybody driving the Texas I-10 or I-20 where the posted speed limits run 85 MPH?
v/r rch
Not Texas, but I drive I-10 in Arizona frequently. It's only posted @ 75 here, but the traffic runs 80+. I keep with the flow and have no problems. My KOs are +/-30 PSI and I have an JLUR.
Sponsored