Sponsored

How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I’ve said it a million times, people die in commute traffic every day. The last thing I’m going to do is stop doing what I love out of fear. We will all die some day, and I’d rather it be on a solo trip than at work because I was scared to go out alone.
the important part is you don’t have to die because you got stranded out somewhere. There are cheap solutions. Well cheaper than the cost to find your dead body and the cost of a funeral.
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
the important part is you don’t have to die because you got stranded out somewhere. There are cheap solutions. Well cheaper than the cost to find your dead body and the cost of a funeral.
That's the most important. Don't want to get stranded. As mentioned previously have InReach so never loose contact. Just picked up an 06 TJR, 103K miles, 4 speed auto, 3" lift. 12K superwinch and 33x12.5R17 E rated KO2's going on soon (already have new JLR wheels and adapters, $270 on FB).

Now which one is going to break down first, the 2021 JLR with 6K miles and ESS, FFAD (Fragile FAD), a zillion sensors, or the 06 TJR with 103K miles and a lesser computer. It was a bargain at $9,500.
Jeep Wrangler JL How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo? 2022-12-15 11.30.26

The TJR will easily go everywhere we solo, albeit on easier lines.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Honestly for me just depends on how soft the ground is. I'll walk a ways down to trail to see if the ground is too soft, but if it's fairly consistent, then I'm game. I'm not looking to get stuck, or having to get covered in mud trying to winch myself out.

That's what's great about Texas summers, 2 weeks with no rain at 95°f is a surefire guarantee there wont be any mud or clay.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I've been backpacking before cellphones in places where it would be 2 days out any way you went, on trails where we didn't see very many other people if we saw any at all so it doesn't bother me to do that in the Jeep. I do carry a Garmin inreach mini these days.
In Colorado on most trails you will see other people. In Utah on trails that go to some destinations you might not see other people. My daughter goes with me most of the time so I'm not truly alone, a year ago I planned a trip deep in Canyonlands Maze district, 100 miles of dirt beyond the paved road to our farthest campsite. I took my cousin along on that trip just in case I needed more help but there were also a few people on that trail. On our last Utah trip we went 16 miles off of pavement on a very rugged road to our campsite, we didn't see another person either going in or coming out. That's the way I like it. Yes something could break and we would end up in a youtube video, we would be inconvenienced but not in danger.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
With proper self rescue gear, survival gear, and a decent com set up you can travel in safety pretty much anywhere-as long as you keep your brain engaged. Stupid, in the wilderness, can kill you.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
No tech for me. I venture out on vacation to GET AWAY from all that.

My favorite place in the world (mountains) has no cell service. If something happens and I don't make it out, then I'll die in my favorite place in the world. I'm okay with that.
Nobody is o.k. with it. That guy that loved rock climbing sawed his hand off to get home.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Just don’t go anywhere alone that you wouldn’t be able to hike out of on your own.

Treat solo wheeling the same way you’d treat solo backpacking. Have the skills needed to take care of yourself and you’ll be fine. For me, I try not to go anywhere I could potentially roll the vehicle down a slope. A roll over in a rock garden would suck alone but chances are good I’d be ok. If I suffer a mechanical breakdown then I’d hike out, so I always bring a full load out of gear I’d need for a multi day hike. I’ve backpacked for decades so I’m confident in my abilities, I’m cautious, and I’m confident in my gear.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Nobody is o.k. with it. That guy that loved rock climbing sawed his hand off to get home.
Because slowly starving to death sucks? We don't venture out to die, it's how we choose to live. We accept the risk that comes with it. That guy still rock climbs with 1 arm, he is still willing to die doing what he loves but it's obviously not the goal. I want to live forever, if I can still do what I love. If I'm extending my life by hiding in my house waiting to have a team with me to go out into nature, what's the point?

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
There is nothing better than having a ready pack and a well maintained Wrangler at hand. Over the last 45 years I have done more solo off road and backpacking trips than trips with folks.

I love being outside with good folks and the memories we have made, though the solo moments expand your thoughts, challenge your will, and fill one with wonder.

Jeep Wrangler JL How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo? ABFBDB73-D15C-40CA-B4A4-62A66E70C22B

when you reach the end of a road
Jeep Wrangler JL How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo? BB8C767D-99B4-4D7F-974A-51A148F5E47F

go for a walk.

Be prepared, go explore, live each day—

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Because slowly starving to death sucks? We don't venture out to die, it's how we choose to live. We accept the risk that comes with it. That guy still rock climbs with 1 arm, he is still willing to die doing what he loves but it's obviously not the goal. I want to live forever, if I can still do what I love. If I'm extending my life by hiding in my house waiting to have a team with me to go out into nature, what's the point?
Exactly. I knew a guy that took a horse pack trip solo, across the Sierras. He was in his 60s and took a pack horse as well. Some of the pix he took showed some pretty sketchy terrain for a horse. But he was confident in his horses and his abilities. I've had horses on some pretty white knuckle terrain myself. I've been bucked off, crashed, and fallen with horses. I flew my aerobatic airplane under a bridge inverted and did things in it that almost killed me, more times than I can recall. I have made 5 successful dead stick landings after having blown engines and all other kinds of things. I've made over 30 jumps from a plane. Why I'm still here is a wonder. So, yeah, I agree, life isn't much sitting in front of a TV. I've settled down to something pretty tame, jeeping.

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Covid made me build my rig into something that would assist me in getting out further into more remote locations to find solace from the crowds. Recovery gear, winch, tools, extra fuel, etc.. allow you to venture further. How far would I go? As far as fuel and range allow.

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Covid made me build my rig into something that would assist me in getting out further into more remote locations to find solace from the crowds. Recovery gear, winch, tools, extra fuel, etc.. allow you to venture further. How far would I go? As far as fuel and range allow.
Yup.

Covaids did the exact same for me too.

Just added more sauce 🦾🦾.