Sponsored

How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo?

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Solo and remote areas of CA and NV, multi day trips. Does it concern me? Yes. But if i sat around waiting for dudes to not flake out I'd never go.
So solo it is, every time with sat phone and Zoleo.
Sponsored

SmallCrawler

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Can't beat the satellite communicators others have mentioned. Here are some things I bring along when I park my rig in the middle of nowhere and explore things on foot. The G-Shock Rangeman is not much of a navigation tool, but it has a terrific backtrack feature which can help get you back to your jeep. I also use it to supplement my ONX offroad maps to help get me back to familiar surroundings.

Jeep Wrangler JL How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo? IMG_0559.JPG

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The thing about living in an extremely overpopulated state.. we hate to see other people in the backcountry but those same people will save your ass...

I looked into SAT phones but if you're only doing 2 trips a month that $200 bill is crazy.. however a SAT phone is the best thing you could have.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
It's funny, before all of the nanny devices started becoming available in vehicles along with countless mobile devices, all I kept with me on excursions was a AAA full sized mapbook of all the states and then picked up maps of individual states at the welcome centers. I never thought twice about how far off the main roads I'd go into nowhere by myself.

Now, I feel naked without some type of tech after years of having access to them via GPS, NAV systems, apps, etc.

I think the younger me was far more brave and perhaps reckless than the older me is now and would be far more willing to continue to go solo to heck knows what places, whereas the older me will go as far as the apps guide me and suggest to go šŸ˜†

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maps and compass yes!!

Let's be honest.. unless your cliffed out you can walk out.

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Just activate/deactivate the garmin service before your trip, ez. Pretty cool to be texting buds in middle of nowhere & them able to track your trip on the map link if they care to look (they donā€™t)

Yeah w/ the tech now Iā€™d say biggest danger is just having a seizure or some weird personal mental episode where people fold their clothes and go off randomly etc, nobody around to stop you. Otherwise itā€™s about avoiding the PIA inconvenience/cost of being mud bogged, flipped etc not actual serious danger so much. Although some areas are so wide open I actually can understand agoraphobics a little šŸ˜‰

Jeep Wrangler JL How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo? 1671224286161

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
The thing about living in an extremely overpopulated state.. we hate to see other people in the backcountry but those same people will save your ass...

I looked into SAT phones but if you're only doing 2 trips a month that $200 bill is crazy.. however a SAT phone is the best thing you could have.
SAT phones aren't nearly as reliable as Inreach type texting. It's the same as being on the edge of mobile service, you can't reliably talk, but you can send/receive texts. Inreach also includes a link to a map with your exact coordinates, can a Sat phone do that? Inreach is cheap per month and you can suspend service as others have indicated.

I have a buddy here in CO who takes a 200x 4cyl (basically the same motor as the bulletproof 6cyl chopped in 1/2 :)) manual trans TJ all over the state. He even rolled it on it's side a few times. They just flipped it back over and continued on.

I would LOVE to have a 4L TJ with some 5.13 gears on 35's. I guess it would need aftermarket axles for that...
Rubicons have D44's so 35's shouldn't require new axles. With automatic, 4:1 xfer case, 4.1 differentials, regear not needed for low range.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WTF

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Just activate/deactivate the garmin service before your trip, ez. Pretty cool to be texting buds in middle of nowhere & them able to track your trip on the map link if they care to look (they donā€™t)

Yeah w/ the tech now Iā€™d say biggest danger is just having a seizure or some weird personal mental episode where people fold their clothes and go off randomly etc, nobody around to stop you. Otherwise itā€™s about avoiding the PIA inconvenience/cost of being mud bogged, flipped etc not actual serious danger so much. Although some areas are so wide open I actually can understand agoraphobics a little šŸ˜‰

1671224286161.jpeg
We're more worried about a breakdown (ESS fails, broken FAD) than getting stuck. We won't roll it solo, we take the easy lines solo. We're worried about a break down and having to spend 20+ hours getting rescued.

Wife and I are fortunate to travel full time in an RV towing the Jeep. She has Visible (Verizon) and I have Cricket (ATT). Often only one or neither, will have signal. So we purchased Starlink for RV. Its expensive, but it doubles as our internet and cable TV solution. In regards to this thread, when set up we can make wifi calls as long as you have battery power and view of the sky.

Its $500 for equipment and $135/mth which can be paused. It has been a game changer for us. We eliminated a mobile hotspot and ditched dish.

We will be taking it along on future remote jeep trips in this home depot case with a 300w pure sine inverter.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...ainer-with-Hinged-Lid-in-Red-248921/313861297

Jeep Wrangler JL How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo? 1671224286161
For sure we'll add that sometime, problem is, wife wants the $2,500 for in-motion hardware so she can youtube while we're wheeling.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The his depends on how you are equipped. I feel comfortable going great distances because I am well equipped. I always have a full set of camping gear with me, a fridge full of food, water and bourbon. A container with more food, a lot of recovery gear. Like 300ft of reach with the winch, a very well maintained Jeep, extra fuel, a quality first aid kit, satellite communications, and emergency rescue insurance. Plus we stay in good hiking shape so we are capable of 20 mile hikes in a day if necessary and do keep backpacks in the Jeep.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I solo mostly. It's always been good. "Until it isn't" thing is in the back of my mind and @ 70, weighs in more than it use to.
As I approach 70, and having lived with all the modern conveniences for a couple decades now, going out to really remote country in these electronic controlled vehicles worries me a lot more than when it was a carburetor and a points distributor. At least I could fix one of those if something went south. So, when I bought the most recent GPS dog system for hunting, I got the one with Garmin's Inreach system built-in. I figure it will do dual duty for hunting and jeeping.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
No tech for me. I venture out on vacation to GET AWAY from all that.

My favorite place in the world (mountains) has no cell service. If something happens and I don't make it out, then I'll die in my favorite place in the world. I'm okay with that.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
No tech for me. I venture out on vacation to GET AWAY from all that.

My favorite place in the world (mountains) has no cell service. If something happens and I don't make it out, then I'll die in my favorite place in the world. I'm okay with that.
Iā€™ve said it a million times, people die in commute traffic every day. The last thing Iā€™m going to do is stop doing what I love out of fear. We will all die some day, and Iā€™d rather it be on a solo trip than at work because I was scared to go out alone.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Plus we stay in good hiking shape so we are capable of 20 mile hikes in a day if necessary and do keep backpacks in the Jeep.
Probably one of the most important and less regarded things. I've helped people in the backcountry who got winded bending down to attach recovery gear. I'm like damn you'd be dead in the first mile if you had to walk :)

Oh and yes, I do carry an inreach mini.. I've used inreaches and PLB's for years.. never travel alone w/o one.

I'm also a western/backcountry hunter so a PLB is something you don't leave home w/o
Sponsored

Last edited: