Sponsored

How far can you move the keys from your Jeep with it running?

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
  • Banned
2019 rubi
No remote start package
No proximity key package

I've gone out to start it on a hot day to cool it off and gone back inside the house no problem. Figured it wouldn't go much further than that and it would probably kill the engine.

Fast forward to last week. Wife was in a rush to go see her Lasik appointment and just got out of the jeep and went into her eye appointment inside a two story building. She's new to not having to use a key so it was just in her purse. When she came out an hour later it was still happily sitting there just idling.

Is there a range limit where it will shut off or will it just sit there all day? I would imagine it would shut off if you actually tried to put it in gear (like that annoying ass autopark).
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
2019 rubi
No remote start package
No proximity key package

I've gone out to start it on a hot day to cool it off and gone back inside the house no problem. Figured it wouldn't go much further than that and it would probably kill the engine.

Fast forward to last week. Wife was in a rush to go see her Lasik appointment and just got out of the jeep and went into her eye appointment inside a two story building. She's new to not having to use a key so it was just in her purse. When she came out an hour later it was still happily sitting there just idling.

Is there a range limit where it will shut off or will it just sit there all day? I would imagine it would shut off if you actually tried to put it in gear (like that annoying ass autopark).
Once it's running it doesn't matter how far away the fob is. It'll give you a warning that it's not in the Jeep, but everything else works as normal.

OP
OP
turbosix

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
  • Banned
Once it's running it doesn't matter how far away the fob is. It'll give you a warning that it's not in the Jeep, but everything else works as normal.
Nope...it'll keep running till it runs out of gas. If you "remote" start it, then it will only run for about 15 mins.
Thanks guys. This is helpful.

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Just a few hours ago I pulled up to CVS and hit the radio off button instead of ignition. I opened the door quick and radio was off, I didn't think twice about it. I came out to running jeep. Short stop, small problem but I'll try to pay closer attention next time.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So basically you could start the Jeep in your driveway and throw your key fob in the house and drive around all day long as long as you don’t turn it off?

Lol

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
So basically you could start the Jeep in your driveway and throw your key fob in the house and drive around all day long as long as you don’t turn it off?

Lol
Exactly! Some dealers I know start the Jeep for your test drive and they keep the FOB:like:

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is good to know. And also weird considering like I don't think it should function like this lol
Every single push button start vehicle I’ve owned has been like this. The key fob is required for starting the vehicle. Not keeping it running.

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Exactly! Some dealers I know start the Jeep for your test drive and they keep the FOB:like:
Same thing happened to us. Went for a test drive several miles away. We went to switch seat for her turn a notice the light read "fob left the vehicle" I would have been upset had we shut the JL off.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea, only has to be there for the start, doesn't matter after that.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Car Jackers are going to like this
Lol. People are acting like this is new. My wife’s 2009 Highlander and our 2014 Odyssey function the exact same way.

Can you imagine a vehicle that functioned differently? What happens when your fob battery dies or is low enough to not be recognized by your vehicle unless it’s against the push button starter? Should the vehicle only run for a pre determined about of time then shut down? What happens if you’re on the highway?
Sponsored

Last edited: