Sponsored

How far can you move the keys from your Jeep with it running?

FERGOTTI

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2016 F150
Maybe this is why the cooling fan is so damn loud! To let you know it's still running!
Sponsored

Eitel

First Name
Eitel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Couple of years back I went to Universal with my son, we had a rental car with a FOB and the wife needed it for the day, so I drove us to Universal and she dropped us and took the car. 15 minutes later as we are walking through the security area, I noticed that I still had the FOB in my pockets. Called my wife right away. "Honey, turn that car around and come back here. And don't you dare turn that car off". :CWL::CWL:

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
I had a 2016 Explorer and just for fun started it and gave the key fob to my Nephew. Drove down the street and turned it off. Hit the start button and it started right up. Turned it off and hit the start button, no go and message "Key not detected" So as far as the Explorer goes it gave me one restart. Wonder of the Wrangler does this? I will find out if they ever finish building mine, D1 for 15 days now : (

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I personally would prefer some type of safe guard built into the JL where it periodically checks for the fob signal and if not present shuts it down, this would deter theft of a running vehicle

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2016 Explorer and just for fun started it and gave the key fob to my Nephew. Drove down the street and turned it off. Hit the start button and it started right up. Turned it off and hit the start button, no go and message "Key not detected" So as far as the Explorer goes it gave me one restart. Wonder of the Wrangler does this? I will find out if they ever finish building mine, D1 for 15 days now : (
Iā€™m not 100% sure but I donā€™t believe itā€™ll start even once without the fob detected.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
As far as dealers letting people test drive without the fob, thatā€™s a no-no if itā€™s a stick shift. Even a seasoned manual trans guy stalls out every once in a while.
If youā€™re driving a stick without the fob you better give it plenty of gas on take off. If you stall making a turn in a busy intersection....das dat!

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
So basically you could start the Jeep in your driveway and throw your key fob in the house and drive around all day long as long as you donā€™t turn it off?
Yeah, basically. When I test drove mine, the sales guy came running out and gave me the key fob. He said it would have kept going forever unless I stalled it out, but if I had, I would have been screwed. Good thing, too, because I stalled it out three times before I got off the lot. Oops.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I personally would prefer some type of safe guard built into the JL where it periodically checks for the fob signal and if not present shuts it down, this would deter theft of a running vehicle
So what happens when the FOB battery dies? This is a terrible idea.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So what happens when the FOB battery dies? This is a terrible idea.
You push the button with the key fob, per the owners manual and it should start.

Sponsored

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
There is no safe way for the fob or lack of it to stop the vehicle without the driver choosing when to do it. It is that simple.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
There is no safe way for the fob or lack of it to stop the vehicle without the driver choosing when to do it. It is that simple.
It has happened to me twice in my wife's Ford Flex.

First time, I noticed I didn't have the fob after my wife got out and I drove to another location. So, I didn't shut it off and drove back to her.

Second time, I didn't notice the fob worning on the dash when my wife got out and went into Costco, while I went to the gas station. I shut it off in the gas lane...and could not start or move the transmission selector from PARK in the vehicle. That closed one of the lanes at Costco's gas station on a busy evening.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I havenā€™t tried it, but if the Jeep is running and you park it and leave, I thought it would not let you put it in drive without the FOB inside the vehicle, even if itā€™s already running. Is that not the case?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I havenā€™t tried it, but if the Jeep is running and you park it and leave, I thought it would not let you put it in drive without the FOB inside the vehicle, even if itā€™s already running. Is that not the case?
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

Not the case... If running you can place in gear and drive even if Fob is AOL.
Sponsored