Sponsored

How far are you traveling to pick up your new JL?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Specter491: Owyhee Lake is about a half hour drive west of Caldwell on the Oregon border. Mostly dirt roads with some moderate off road trails with up to 1,500 ft elevation changes. This will be the afternoon test run for my Rubi, before I leave the area. I will be driving on older highways the next day. That will put an additional 500 miles of moderate driving on the Jeep. Vacation days without having to push hard on the Interstates.
Sponsored

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Pic's of what the JL looks like underneath

For those JL trek'rs who will inspect the bottom of the JL for oil, transmission and other fluid leaks prior to the long delivery home, here's some pics from another web site detailing everything underneath the JLUR. Easy to see where the oil pan and transmission pans are at. Go to the last 2 pic's in the first post and it will point out the names of the steering bars underneath if your so interested. Pretty cool. ;)

https://[Banned Site]/showthread.ph...mponents-amp-MORE!&p=6495&viewfull=1#post6495

Last edited:

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS
Traveling from North Dallas to South Houston, about 300 miles. No nearby dealers would come close to the price I got from River Oaks Jeep in Houston. Talk to Mark Gusman. Very happy with the deal I got. Mark was helpful and no nonsense. Recommend the dealership highly.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'm making the drive from Kernersville, NC to Rockhill, MD. No dealers around me would consider doing 5% below invoice. John at DARCARS has a group buy for all new JL's at that price, so I ordered yesterday. I received my VIN# this afternoon. Worth the drive for the deal. I won't be using the dealership for service, of course, but the ordering process was a simple as you can imagine.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Assuming some people have something to trade- in, and assuming it’s your only current vehicle- how exactly does that work driving to another state to pick up your JL and trade in whatever you’re driving to get there? I’m assuming they just take that off whatever price was agreed upon- also any additional deposit you might have. Or maybe I’m wrong

Also what do you do about stuff like insurance/ registration so you can drive your new JL home?

I’ve never bought out of state and just curious how it works

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming some people have something to trade- in, and assuming it’s your only current vehicle- how exactly does that work driving to another state to pick up your JL and trade in whatever you’re driving to get there? I’m assuming they just take that off whatever price was agreed upon- also any additional deposit you might have. Or maybe I’m wrong

Also what do you do about stuff like insurance/ registration so you can drive your new JL home?

I’ve never bought out of state and just curious how it works
Be careful trading in when driving a distance. What if they tell you once you get there the trade is worth $1000 less because of XYZ. Then you are stuck with the decision of driving your old car back or eating the $1k.

As far as registration and insurance.. those are pretty easy (I have bought several cars out of state).
Registration- The dealer will give you 10-30 day tags to put on your car to get you home.
Insurance- check with you agent/insurance company but you should be covered for 30 days. I just call up my State Farm agent after I get home and get it switched over. Again check with your agent but with State Farm you are fully covered for 30 days on the new vehicle.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Be careful trading in when driving a distance. What if they tell you once you get there the trade is worth $1000 less because of XYZ. Then you are stuck with the decision of driving your old car back or eating the $1k.

As far as registration and insurance.. those are pretty easy (I have bought several cars out of state).
Registration- The dealer will give you 10-30 day tags to put on your car to get you home.
Insurance- check with you agent/insurance company but you should be covered for 30 days. I just call up my State Farm agent after I get home and get it switched over. Again check with your agent but with State Farm you are fully covered for 30 days on the new vehicle.
Don’t they try to charge you GAP insurance or something ? - I recall something like that when I bought my current car in state many years ago- I remember it being obscene price wise

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t they try to charge you GAP insurance or something ? - I recall something like that when I bought my current car in state many years ago- I remember it being obscene price wise
So GAP insurance is the insurance from the lender not the car insurance company (typically) it is basically insuring the lender if you total the car when the car is upside down (You owe much more than the car is worth) the gap insurance kicks in and pays the lender the difference so you are not responsible for making further payments on a car that is totaled.

Sponsored

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Drove hundreds of miles to look for a good deal and to see a rubicon in person. And of course ended up buying only about 15 minutes away.

Hazmater911

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR, Silver, 2006 TJ (for sale)
I am driving about 3 hours in rental car, or I may fly an hour. I live just north of LA and am going to San Luis Obispo. I had one a little cheaper down south, but preferred to drive along the beach. I will probably get a hotel room for a couple of nights and go drive it on the beach.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Just finished my 1,200+ mile trip from Superior Jeep, AR to southern FL. Sent my tools and a knife ahead of time ($20 via priority USPS mail) and wrote up my trip on paper ahead of time so I would know all the names of each road I traveled (same road would have multiple names like Interstate 20 and route 78). Took 22 hrs to complete ... drove straight through ... never felt tired. Everything in the JL worked ... no issues.

Used nav on Uconnect the whole time. Uconnect Nav Con: Difficult to set up long distance trip from Little Rock AR to Miami FL route ... had to use POI around Miami to get a proper destination way point. The uconnect nav seems like a real time "local" nav system ... so it only downloads nav info where the JL is at. Uconnect Nav Pro: really good at real time directions ... especially good at navigating the by-passes at Birmingham, AL and Atlanta, GA ... at night.

The first 3 hundred miles I kept the speed to 40 to 55 mph, rpms were always way under 3000 rpm ... actually way under 2000 rpm. Took it up to 70 mph at the end of the trip just to see what the rpm's were ... 70mph = 2000 rpm. Keep acceleration slow and you'll never exceed 3000 rpm. Had the flashers on the whole time ... trucks would pass by with no issues of hostility for driving too slow.

Did a lot of night driving. The inside of the JL lit up like a Christmas tree ... very colorful.

Seat was very comfortable for this long a duration of a drive. Butt did not get sore at all. lol.

The only issue with driving this long is it takes roughly 3 days of rest to get back to normal.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Just finished my 1,200+ mile trip from Superior Jeep, AR to southern FL. Sent my tools and a knife ahead of time ($20 via priority USPS mail) and wrote up my trip on paper ahead of time so I would know all the names of each road I traveled (same road would have multiple names like Interstate 20 and route 78). Took 22 hrs to complete ... drove straight through ... never felt tired. Everything in the JL worked ... no issues.

Used nav on Uconnect the whole time. Uconnect Nav Con: Difficult to set up long distance trip from Little Rock AR to Miami FL route ... had to use POI around Miami to get a proper destination way point. The uconnect nav seems like a real time "local" nav system ... so it only downloads nav info where the JL is at. Uconnect Nav Pro: really good at real time directions ... especially good at navigating the by-passes at Birmingham, AL and Atlanta, GA ... at night.

The first 3 hundred miles I kept the speed to 40 to 55 mph, rpms were always way under 3000 rpm ... actually way under 2000 rpm. Took it up to 70 mph at the end of the trip just to see what the rpm's were ... 70mph = 2000 rpm. Keep acceleration slow and you'll never exceed 3000 rpm. Had the flashers on the whole time ... trucks would pass by with no issues of hostility for driving too slow.

Did a lot of night driving. The inside of the JL lit up like a Christmas tree ... very colorful.

Seat was very comfortable for this long a duration of a drive. Butt did not get sore at all. lol.

The only issue with driving this long is it takes roughly 3 days of rest to get back to normal.
Congrats! I guess I can’t complain about my upcoming 8hr drive home from AR, lol. How was the whole taking delivery experience there?
Sponsored