Sponsored

How easy is it to break into the soft top?

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Well worth investing in the extra security boxes (center console, possibly rear box) in your AO.

I tend to not leave anything in mine that I care it's not there in the morning.

Had my old one gone through a few times when I lived in CO. Apparently the kids didn't like country music CDs or need any of my receipts.
Sponsored

Gavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Subaru Forester, Toyota Prado, soon JL Wrangler?
Hi everyone. My name is Nico and I’m new to this site. I love in Johannesburg, South Africa and I’m super excited for the new JL to hit our shores (not sure when that will happen but I’m guessing June/July )

I have a quick question and forgive me if this has been asked before.

In Johannesburg (Gangsters Paradise) there is a lot of robberies and breaking into Cars, my question is how easy is it to break into the soft top? Excluding cutting the canvas and windows. If the car is locked, can anyone just come along and open the roof at the back?Or does the tail gate have to be opened to open the soft top?

That for the help guys ..
I thought I was the only SAfrican here, welcome, fellow Johannesburger!

For the rest of you, dual tops is the answer for us as a hard top is better for bush safaris so you can use a roof rack while a soft top is best for general Johannesburg or beach use so you can pop it off for a sunny day and up if there’s an unexpected storm, which happens a lot!

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I think we can all agree the hard top is more secure. I know South Africa is a shit storm when it comes to stolen cars, break-ins, etc... so I would be shocked if JLs are offered in soft tops there...lol. In the States many say don't lock your doors on a soft top and keep you stuff in bolted down steel bins in order to avoid cut soft top but over there...totally different scenario.

Either way you go get a bolted down box in the back to store anything you want to keep. And wait?!? Don't yall have alarms with built-in flame throwers?!? ;)
Is there an after market for the bolted down box? I don’t live in South Africa, but I do live in SWFL where punks and thieves and transients are abundant-oh my.

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Wrangler (sold to nephew), 2018 JLUR, 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Charger ScatPack 392, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Road Glide
Vehicle Showcase
It's really just a matter of how badly does someone want to get into your vehicle. I had dual tops on my JK and after the first week the hard top never went on again until I sold it two weeks ago...
I had the soft top on for 5 years and never had a problem...
Sponsored