Sponsored

How does your Sport do pulling around 1500 to 2000 lbs?

mgenbox

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler jl 2 dr sport
Thinking of getting a camper and curious how your Sport does pulling this weight with similar setup as mine.
21 Sport turbo with 3” lift and 35s stock gearing. Thx
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I ordered a trailer that dry it is 1100lbs. It is very likely i'll be pulling 1,500 lbs sometimes. I'll post an update when I get it. I am on 33inch M/T tires, Rubicon suspension, and stock sport gears. From all the info I gathered before owning the trailers the 2 doors pull great for what you expect. This guy has a stock rubi JL on 35s and pulls 2,000lbs. He told me he is usually around 1800 to 2100 and doesnt notice the trailer. He upgraded from a Toyota FJ rated at 3,500lbs and told me the JL is much better. He does have trailer brakes though. I ordered brakes on mine too.

Some people I talked to are towing over the limit. Everyone with JL says no issues. JK owners and older jeeps have told me they are not the best at towing, and tend to be sluggish. I would never tow over the limit though. Because even though it might feel fine, when shit goes wrong it could go very wrong.

From what I gathered these little Jeeps tow better than all the older jeeps, better than small SUVs and small Subarus. But not better than the big SUVs or trucks.

OP
OP
mgenbox

mgenbox

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered a trailer that dry it is 1100lbs. It is very likely i'll be pulling 1,500 lbs sometimes. I'll post an update when I get it. I am on 33inch M/T tires, Rubicon suspension, and stock sport gears. From all the info I gathered before owning the trailers the 2 doors pull great for what you expect. This guy has a stock rubi JL on 35s and pulls 2,000lbs. He told me he is usually around 1800 to 2100 and doesnt notice the trailer. He upgraded from a Toyota FJ rated at 3,500lbs and told me the JL is much better. He does have trailer brakes though. I ordered brakes on mine too.

Some people I talked to are towing over the limit. Everyone with JL says no issues. JK owners and older jeeps have told me they are not the best at towing, and tend to be sluggish. I would never tow over the limit though. Because even though it might feel fine, when shit goes wrong it could go very wrong.

From what I gathered these little Jeeps tow better than all the older jeeps, better than small SUVs and small Subarus. But not better than the big SUVs or trucks.
What trailer did you go with?
I would like one with all the amenities but would b pushing it on weight.
Did they say how much they were going over by chance? I’m with you I really don’t want to go over n I hear you on the shit goin wrong. That’s never no fun
Thx for the info

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
What trailer did you go with?
I would like one with all the amenities but would b pushing it on weight.
Did they say how much they were going over by chance? I’m with you I really don’t want to go over n I hear you on the shit goin wrong. That’s never no fun
Thx for the info
I went with a 5x8 hiker trailer. Their mid-range model with an added 2in lift and offroad max-coupler.

I added a 7L road shower, maxx fan, 11lb propane, 3 roof rack bars, 2 doors one on each side, formica on the rear galley. And I think that's about it. I'll be adding a queen foam mattress.

They already come with electrical wires and somelights, with windows, rear galley for storage/cooking area, stabilizers, and some other goodies. For electrical I am pugging a Jackery, Hiker added a 12V connection for the battery.

Total price was just under 11k.

OP
OP
mgenbox

mgenbox

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with a 5x8 hiker trailer. Their mid-range model with an added 2in lift and offroad max-coupler.

I added a 7L road shower, maxx fan, 11lb propane, 3 roof rack bars, 2 doors one on each side, formica on the rear galley. And I think that's about it. I'll be adding a queen foam mattress.

They already come with electrical wires and somelights, with windows, rear galley for storage/cooking area, stabilizers, and some other goodies. For electrical I am pugging a Jackery, Hiker added a 12V connection for the battery.

Total price was just under 11k.
Sounds sweet and decently priced!
That’s about all I’d need except I might add small a/c. Humidity is nasty at times
Hope ya have a blast!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sounds sweet and decently priced!
That’s about all I’d need except I might add small a/c. Humidity is nasty at times
Hope ya have a blast!
Oh yeah for sure. Yeah for me is about sleeping comfort. I am a pretty avid camper so I know what i need and what i dont. But still wanna go camping. I prefer cooking outside and hanging out outside when camping so this is perfect for me. Plumbing doesnt really make sense to me in a tiny trailer. The only caveat with hiker campers is their lead times. They are very popular. Mine is set to be ready next year and I ordered first week of march 2021 lol.

Regarding offroad capability, i am sure this is more than enough for the places i am willing to bring a camper to. I set basecamp then i go do trails with the jeep completely unloaded and light.

Hiker has 2 facilities. Colorado and Indiana. Colorado is currently at 12 month lead times. indiana is at 6mo.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Thinking of getting a camper and curious how your Sport does pulling this weight with similar setup as mine.
21 Sport turbo with 3” lift and 35s stock gearing. Thx
The bigger tires and stock gearing (3.45 is not the best, wish they would have went back to 3.73 as an option) might give you some issues. Rather then that, as long as you stay below 2,000 LBS you should hopefully be fine. If you live in the Mountain States you will have issues going up hills, but flat country states you will be ok.

I used to pull a Key West glass boat (Saltwater) and Xpress Bass Boat (Freshwater) around everywhere with my 2012 2 door. My Kew West was around 2,100 LBS and I believe the Xpress was around 1,850. My Jeep was a stock sport, stick shift, 3.6 and 3.73 gears. I never had any issues pulling up hills or in and out of steep boat ramps. The Jeep pulled both boats like a champ.

Please be careful; having a lift, really big tires and stock gearing is most definitely going to impact your ability to safely tow a camper.

OP
OP
mgenbox

mgenbox

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bigger tires and stock gearing (3.45 is not the best, wish they would have went back to 3.73 as an option) might give you some issues. Rather then that, as long as you stay below 2,000 LBS you should hopefully be fine. If you live in the Mountain States you will have issues going up hills, but flat country states you will be ok.

I used to pull a Key West glass boat (Saltwater) and Xpress Bass Boat (Freshwater) around everywhere with my 2012 2 door. My Kew West was around 2,100 LBS and I believe the Xpress was around 1,850. My Jeep was a stock sport, stick shift, 3.6 and 3.73 gears. I never had any issues pulling up hills or in and out of steep boat ramps. The Jeep pulled both boats like a champ.

Please be careful; having a lift, really big tires and stock gearing is most definitely going to impact your ability to safely tow a camper.
I have been interested in a camping trailer also. I do like the MeanBean but 2drs. are so weight limited as to off road trailers which weigh more than highway campers. I doubt I'll find one.
https://beantrailer.com/mean-bean-off-road/
Those look nice but are on the heavy side.
There are some lighter options out there as entropy mentioned Hiker. The EPro12RK is just over 1K or trailers with RTTs are an option
Somewhere in the site is a list of
I have been interested in a camping trailer also. I do like the MeanBean but 2drs. are so weight limited as to off road trailers which weigh more than highway campers. I doubt I'll find one.
https://beantrailer.com/mean-bean-off-road/
Thanks for the input
Yeah that would b nice on the gears.
I definitely won’t b racing around pulling a trailer for sure.
Surprisingly the lift n tires change in handling and power isn’t all that much worse than the stock was IMO

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I use my Sport to occasionally get firewood, and the trailer can easily weigh 2000 pounds (no trailer brake).

Generally not a problem on pavement, but if I'm off the asphalt, the trailer definitely wants to push the Jeep around. And in a dangerous way. It makes you aware of the forces at work here, and you realize if it gets away from you on the pavement, the resulting crash would be spectacular.

I'm installing a controller in the Jeep, and brakes on the trailer. I suggest you do the same if you don't have them already.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Towing limits enter the "Can" and "Should" NOT territory quickly.
Your insurance might not cover you in an accident, no matter your involvement, as Cause, or Effect, if you were over the max weight limit, so read the fine print. "Negligence " is an ever-expanding term.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgenbox

mgenbox

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use my Sport to occasionally get firewood, and the trailer can easily weigh 2000 pounds (no trailer brake).

Generally not a problem on pavement, but if I'm off the asphalt, the trailer definitely wants to push the Jeep around. And in a dangerous way. It makes you aware of the forces at work here, and you realize if it gets away from you on the pavement, the resulting crash would be spectacular.

I'm installing a controller in the Jeep, and brakes on the trailer. I suggest you do the same if you don't have them already.
Yeah I definitely would do the brakes to off-road with that kinda weight behind me. That could get scary in spots I’m sure.
Good to hear 2k not much prob tho.
I have a 18’ utility trailer that weighs close to 2k so when I get a chance I will try pulling it to see how the Jeep handles
Thx for the reply

OP
OP
mgenbox

mgenbox

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Towing limits enter the "Can" and "Should" NOT territory quickly.
Your insurance might not cover you in an accident, no matter your involvement, as Cause, or Effect, if you were over the max weight limit, so read the fine print. "Negligence " is an ever-expanding term.
I plan on staying in the limits so definitely don’t need to gamble with that noise

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
Only way I'd go over the tow limit is if I'm not getting on the highway. At lower speeds it's a much smaller issue.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
If you’re looking for a camping trailer, did you check out Trailmarker trailers in upstate NY. It’s made entirely out of aluminum. Plenty of room and lightweight. I can easily tow with my 4-dr, and even tow with my 2-dr on 35’s.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Take a look at Sherpa trailers in Libby Montana.
Sponsored