Sponsored

How does the rear wiper perfom on the soft top.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
The rear wiper on the soft top is actually a manual, not mechanical, one. The effectiveness varies - usually depending on whether they’re using terry cloth or paper towels, and whether any Windex is available
Waterless wash and a super plush microfiber towel only, for me. That’ll prevent any scratching since you’ll pick up far more grit there than the side widows.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
How do you know most people don't use them now?
A rear wiper is meant to be used for road salt which can cause white out in bad climates. I laugh to myself when I see people using them in the rain.

Unless you live in a snowy region you don’t need a rear wiper. And using it to “wash” the rear window will definitely cause a huge mess on the paint underneath.

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
A rear wiper is meant to be used for road salt which can cause white out in bad climates. I laugh to myself when I see people using them in the rain.

Unless you live in a snowy region you don’t need a rear wiper. And using it to “wash” the rear window will definitely cause a huge mess on the paint underneath.
Ok, no idea why you quoted me.:like:

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I use my rear wiper hence my original question.

Yes my question was genuine!

Jeep dealers that I have been to only have hard tops on the lot so I have never seen a soft top up close.

Until yesterday.......there was a JK parked and I went to have a close look and no rear wiper so there you go.

Sponsored

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
The rear wiper on the soft top is actually a manual, not mechanical, one. The effectiveness varies - usually depending on whether they’re using terry cloth or paper towels, and whether any Windex is available
Noooooo, don’t use Windex on the plastic windows. It causes them to cloud. Use water.

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
I don't have a rear window--so
SUNP0233_zpswejtmzse.jpg

There's no "WIPER"

W.E.

JIMBO
dude! your wipers keep it so clean that i cant even see your windows!!

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Onservational awareness, discussions with friends and family, etc.

In fact, the majority of vehicles do not come equipped with them.
Most all SUVs have rear wipers, and SUVs are by far the biggest selling class of vehicle these days.

I use mine all the time when it's raining/snowing.

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
After 54 years the rear wiper still moves smoothly with very little aches.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I use my rear wiper hence my original question.

Yes my question was genuine!

Jeep dealers that I have been to only have hard tops on the lot so I have never seen a soft top up close.

Until yesterday.......there was a JK parked and I went to have a close look and no rear wiper so there you go.
Valid question if you had no idea there wasn't a wiper. But you may get ribbed a bit for that. Just laugh along or ignore them.

There's no practical way to make a wiper that works on the vinyl for a number of reasons. I remember seeing some aftermarket soft tops with rear glass windows that have provisions for a wiper and defroster. So if you went that route, you could have a rear wiper with a soft top.

For the factory rear vinyl window, it's a good idea to get used to using the side mirrors as the rear window will compromise visibility. And they get worse over time no matter what you do. Best bet is regular cleaning with a cleaner that is specifically designed for soft top windows. Some have been suggested above. Bestop sells a soft top window cleaner. They also sell a soft top cleaning kit with other cleaners for the fabric. You can pick it up online pretty easily.
Sponsored