Sponsored

How does the New Nav Compare to the JK's 430?

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is it still done by Garmin? How does it compare to the old nav, which would always display the name of the street you were on at the top? Does it display the current speed, compass direction (N, S, E, W), and elevation like the old 430 Nav?

How about the speed limit? Does it show the speed limit of the road you're currently driving on like the old 430? What other features does it have / not have? Love to hear a comparison!
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Is it still done by Garmin? How does it compare to the old nav, which would always display the name of the street you were on at the top? Does it display the current speed, compass direction (N, S, E, W), and elevation like the old 430 Nav?

How about the speed limit? Does it show the speed limit of the road you're currently driving on like the old 430? What other features does it have / not have? Love to hear a comparison!
It is excellent! It is done by Garmin and has the speed limit data. I can't compare it to the 430 since I never owned one, but I would say that this Nav is comparable to a very high end Nuvi. It even displays your next turn in the driver cluster in front of the steering wheel. I am a big fan of Google Maps, but I find myself using the built in Nav.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
It is excellent! It is done by Garmin and has the speed limit data. I can't compare it to the 430 since I never owned one, but I would say that this Nav is comparable to a very high end Nuvi. It even displays your next turn in the driver cluster in front of the steering wheel. I am a big fan of Google Maps, but I find myself using the built in Nav.
That's great news! If it's even 50% as good as google maps with the android auto then I will be very impressed. I use google maps everyday for traffic routes, backroads etc(Houston Traffic is a pain to navigate through during peak hours.)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The new UConnect system is phenomenally better than the 430. However, both the 730 and 430 weren't great to begin with. They weren't even good for their time. Sluggish performance, an abysmal UI, the awful low-resolution screen, and the incredibly limited voice interface made the roughly $2,000 price tag on these units a huge rip-off (and Jeep still charges that today for the last of the JKs). All these features including the gimmicky hard drive were already antiquated by the late 2000's. Even though phone-based navigation was still pretty new back then, it was still much better and cheaper than those old UConnect systems.

Today, things are different. Chrysler has gone from having one of the worst in-dash navigation units of any manufacturer to having, hands down, the best infotainment system you can get in a large-scale production vehicle. However, as good as they are, there's a reason why Apple Carplay and Android Auto exist: car manufacturers will never be able to make a decent navigation system that can keep up with either of them. Using the OEM navigation means you're still at the mercy of yearly map updates at a cost to you, new features will rarely be added, and live traffic and weather updates still cost money through a subscription. Apple and Android charge you nothing for all of these features.

To answer your question, yes, it has speed limits and it tells you the road you're on. It does everything the 430 and 730 did, only a billion times better. It has a highway guide that appears to the right of the map when you're on an interstate or freeway that tells you where nearby gas stations and other services are. It's pretty sweet. Apple and Android do it better, though.

So, if you've got a choice to forego the navigation when buying your next Jeep, I'd highly recommend doing so. It's incredibly easy to plug your phone in and utilize its vastly superior navigation software that costs you nothing, even if your phone is a generation or two old. I don't have a lot of experience with Apple Carplay, but Android Auto is fantastic and Google is constantly improving it.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
It's awesome, I rarely even connect my phone, really no need to!

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, you are not charged for those features. Yes, you have to own a phone and a plan, but 99.99999% of people don't buy phones for the sole purpose of navigation. It is not a specific expense for a vehicle because everyone has a phone anyway. If you had to literally go and buy a phone and data plan that you'll never use to call or text anyone ever and solely dedicate it for Apple Carplay or Android Auto, then yes, you're correct and it technically costs you money. But now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

My phone bill doesn't change whether or not I use my phone for navigation. Therefore, it costs me nothing to use those features.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I have the old 430n uconnect my gig thing from 2008. Perhaps I am old but I use it daily and find it very useful. I also have apple Iphone that I plug into the radio so the directions come through the radio. My biggest gripe about that is they wait to the last second to to say "turn here". That is running what ever the Apple map is ( maybe its tomtom) and it always wants to be backwards so you aren't going on the road the same direction as you are on the map. So better late than never I am downloading google maps right now and will give that a try. I want someone with an adroid phone and who has something like topo usa back country explorer or gaia to seeif they can get the jeep u connect screen to show the topo on it. Now that would be awesome. I tired it on the Chevy colorado but it wouldn't do it.

OP
OP
Tyrantresister

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Does the new JL nav have the option to show the elevation and compass like on the 430?

Old 430 Nav would also tell you your current speed. Useful for those with taller aftermarket tires!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the new JL nav have the option to show the elevation and compass like on the 430?
Yes.

Old 430 Nav would also tell you your current speed. Useful for those with taller aftermarket tires!
The speedometer is pretty useful for that, too. ;) But I know what you mean, GPS-based speed. I have not seen that on this unit, though.

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
I had the 430N in my 27, I feel like Columbus getting an iPhone. It’s fast, addresses and roads that didn’t exist now exist

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
How is the detail and zoom levels on th 430n it goes from 700 to .5 miles with a huge loss of details
Have you tried running a topo app to the screen from your phone or tablet?

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
It's not "Cell Phone" detail, but for a "Car" GPS I would put it up there at the top and was money well spent (My last jeep I almost pulled the trigger on a 10k setup until I actually used it and thought POS). You cant compare this and the 430 at all, speed, clarity is all there, it seems to have a lot of roads. Negative, plan to play more with it but just need the time.

Lots of lil things as well, they have the weather apps, find gas prices and all that, info seems to match up with what I find on my iPhone. Something I really like is on my Sync 3 on my new F150 in carplay mode it takes over, on Uconnect its just another button to do stuff and you still have everything else.

Simply put, its one of the best features

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I am definitely getting it. Check out the insane audio set up for the jk. It has like 256 gig of memory plus 2 or 3 slots from expanded memory and built it topo maps for off road stuff if I was going to keep my jk that is what I would do.
Sponsored