Sponsored

How does the JL ride and drive compared to the JK?

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I'm coming from a 2016 Tacoma, and the JL is way better. My girlfriend has a 2017 2 door Sarah JK and I think that rides pretty good also. Never driven a 4 Runner, but I think you will like the JLU.

G.

JeffCj7Jl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7, 2015 4Runner, 2021 JLR
Although I didnā€™t have a JK, I have a 4Runner. I have to say that I was very impressed with how comfortable the JL is to drive. I picked up my JL in Virginia and the 6 hour drive was about the same, if not better than my 4Runner. Luckily, my rental was also a JL - Unlimited w/ auto and 2.0L (my JL is a 2dr manual 3.6L). I was impressed with both configurations on the long trip.

griffinm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I just bought a JLUR a week ago. I previously owned a 2016 JK (2-door 75th Anniversary). Iā€™m blown away by the improved ride. I knew it would be a little better but wow! Granted, a Rubicon does have better suspension components than my 2016 JK, and the JK had about 45k miles on it but definitely a better driving and handling experience.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Tire pressure makes a world of difference in the JK and JL. Stock JLs are delivered with 38-40psi, and drive like crap. Lower the pressure to 28-32 and the ride is much improved.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The 4Runner has IFS so it will always handle better on-road than the Wrangler's live front axle, especially highways. However the JL is significantly improved over the JK. Expect it to be more comparable, but not comparable.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I purchased a 21 JLUR about a month ago. Previously owned a lifted JKU on 35s (2.5 inch with Ridge Grapplers). So not quite an apples to apples comparison since the Rubi is still stock. But mannnnn I was blown away at the improved ride on the 21 Rubi.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My uncle has a highly modified JKUR (60/80 axles, 40s, the whole shebang) and it rode much worse than a stock JKUR, but even the stock JKUR wasnā€™t that great in my opinion and I that mightā€™ve been one reason I ended up never getting a JK.

Fast forward years later and the first time I ever test drove a JLUR was at the dealership last year and it was a loaded/hardtop/steel bumper version and I was blown away by how much the drivability exceeded all of my expectations. I fell so in love with it that I bought a 2021 JLUR with all the options I wanted later that same day (Iā€™m in the City of Angels so I have a good selection of nearby dealerships). I liked wranglers ever since I was a child but the way that test drive exceeded all my expectations; on the 3.6 eTorque, the amazing zf8 tranny, the better-than-expected handling and steering, it made me want to buy one right away!

The JL platform is absolutely the best driving full solid axle vehicle I have ever driven.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'll just say this.. the radius arm full size ram powerwagon rides better stock for stock but it's a much heavier vehicle with beefier stock components. I had to put some money into the Jeep to get it riding and handling well enough for me to daily drive it comfortably after the lift (control arms, new steering gearbox, pretty expensive shocks depending on what you call 'expensive', steering stabilizer, track bars f/r) but now it's a dream. If you just plan to leave it stock it will be ok but as soon as you lift it you'll have to put some money into other things to square everything back up and correct the geometry/caster. If I'd never lifted it just some good aftermarket shocks would have been enough to get it riding great.

Never owned a JK. I had a CJ back in the late 80's and that thing rode like a dump truck lol. Technology has come a LONG way.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Those who went from a JK to a JL, is the ride noticeably improved in the JL?
I went from a 2015 JKU Sahara to a 2020 JLU Sport Altitude. Thereā€™s a night and day difference between the 2. The 3.6 mated to the 8 speed auto is simply outstanding. You wonā€™t be disappointed with the JL.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a ā€˜17 JKR to my ā€˜19 JLR and am still impressed with how it rides (though I never drove it stock - Mopar 2ā€ and 35ā€™s put on prior to pick up). The only issue I had at first was how it liked to wander on the highway but that was improved by an adjustable steering stabilizer and totally eradicated by the steering box TSB.
Iā€™ve also added adjustable track bars front and rear plus a HD tie rod (all Teraflex) and will be changing the drag link soon - not 100% necessary but each piece has yielded some improvement and my build is purposely over engineered.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Had a 2016 JKUR and no suspension modifications. Wife did not like it on long rides. I have a 2019 JLUR and no suspension modifications. Wife is ok with long rides in it. She especially likes the JL leather seats. I have about 35-36 psi in my tires. Could go a little lower, but rides pretty good there.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Any recommendation on some shocks that would contribute to a more luxury type ride? I donā€™t plan on getting a lift.
The Sahara already has heavy duty shocks. Best suggestion I can make, since youā€™ve never driven a JL, is to run it stock for a while. Then determine whether you need to change shocks. Youā€™ll be surprised to find that you may not need to.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I daily drove a JK for 5 years and a little more than 2 years now for my JL. The JL is more comfortable than the JK. Notably the interior and much improved transmission. With that said if you disliked the ride of a JK, I donā€™t see how youā€™re going to like the JL after the honeymoon period. Assuming the tires are the same, the ride will not be much different than the other. The frame and suspension are essentially the same. The interior is noisy. It handles the same on the highway and it takes bumps/corners/turns the same as the JK. The JL is an updated JK more than it is a new model. The 8 speed transmission makes a massive difference with how they drive but the handling around town/highway is still basically the same.

If you asked a JK forum the same thing about those who drove a JL, the responses would be different. People are biased. The JL is a lot closer to a JK than any 4Runner.
Sponsored