Sponsored

How does the JL ride and drive compared to the JK?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Any recommendation on some shocks that would contribute to a more luxury type ride? I don’t plan on getting a lift.
Rancho 9000 shocks, you will have to experiment with setting to find what you prefer. Depending on the tires you get, you may want to switch to a P rated tire in an all season tread, mild AT tread. 17” wheels will ride far better than the 20s it will come with.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I had a 2015 JKUR - ride is a bit better on my 2020 JLU Recon. The real improvement is drivability...the 8 speed transmission is well done, better keeping the engine in its sweet spot. The interior is much improved and the cabin is quieter and a far better place to spend time. I really like my JL. As a side note I have a 2” synergy lift with Fox shocks and 315/70 tires I noticed little difference in ride from the stock set up.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Have a 2013 JK Freedom edition with Rubicon shocks and a 2018 Sport with stock shocks. The JL rides so much better. We did do a 1.5 inch spacer lift and wheels and tires upgrades, after which the wife thought the JL wrote even better than just plain stock. JL is amazing ride, no upgrades needed. But a couple do make it even better. :)

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I went from a 2012 JK Sport (2" lift, 33s) to the 2021 JL Rubi. I, too, ordered mine without a test drive. I knew what I wanted and I wasn't going to have my mind changed by any test drive, really. Plus, my JK was having enough problems that I was fully committed to the JL regardless.

And upon receiving it and now putting about 1500 miles on it, the difference is vast and overwhelmingly positive.

The JL is overall a much smoother ride. It's still a Jeep, it's not going to handle like a sports car or glide smoothly as a luxury vehicle. But it's not nearly as rough. 80mph with my JK felt like the apocalypse was nigh, 80mph in the JL feels... smooth. I didn't even realize I was going that fast, it was smooth enough to sneak up on me.

I'm sure some of this will change once I get it lifted and on bigger tires, but even just stock it's a major upgrade.

The interior is probably the cushiest I've ever had, a big upgrade from the JK. Comfortable, everything laid out well. No complaints there.

Not sure if applicable, but I had a manual transmission on both. The MT on the JL is greatly improved over the JK. Just.. worlds better. It's one of the things that impressed me the most. I hear the automatic transmission is a major upgrade from the JK, too.

It still catches wind in heavy gusts (it's a high profile vehicle, after all), but it doesn't yank quite as hard as my JK did. And there's no hood flutter, which definitely gives me some peace of mind after hearing horror stories about JK hoods flying up. I was driving it through some 50mph+ gusts in the desert this week and, while it needed a firm hand at times, I didn't feel like I was about to blow away into the next county every time the wind came up.

I didn't go for the premium audio on either, but the basic audio in the JL is also a massive improvement over the JK.

A tiny detail, but the JL did away with those stupid screw-in attachments for the freedom panels. I hated those things. They were a pain to put in and rattled after a while. Now the freedom panels are all clasps, much easier.

Honestly, my only gripes are that I hate the license plate location on the JL (which is going to necessitate ridiculous, expensive brackets to relocate when I upgrade my rear bumper). The second minor complaint would be the JL putting the turn signals on the front flares. Makes it much harder to just swap the flares out and I don't know what FCA was thinking there.

Auto start/stop is annoying, but easily circumvented. So I'm not going to really complain there... at least not until I see problems with it in a few years. :P

Bottom line: Congrats on your JL! You'll love it.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I have a JLR and went from a JKSport but damn the JL is impressive. Air down to 35 cold and you are set. Makes my JK feel like I was riding in a CJ.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2021 JLUR handles slightly better than my 2016 JKUR Hard Rock did, even though it is slightly more lifted with slightly larger tires.

The track is slightly wider, the wheelbase is slightly longer, with slightly better aerodynamics.

The performance of the 2.0/A8 JLUR is substantially better than the 3.6/A5 JKUR. It may not manifest itself in the magazine numbers at wide open throttle acceleration, but in normal part throttle 1,000-3,000 RPM driving it is substantially faster.

But overall the vehicles are substantially the same in handling. The JL is an updated JK. If you like the handling of the JK you will like the JL. If you hated the ride of the JK, you will also hate the JL.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The interior is probably the cushiest I've ever had, a big upgrade from the JK. Comfortable, everything laid out well. No complaints there.

Honestly, my only gripes are that I hate the license plate location on the JL (which is going to necessitate ridiculous, expensive brackets to relocate when I upgrade my rear bumper).
Yep, love the seats, and the 8AT is a great match w/ the V6. As far as license plate relocation, this took some work to wire it in, but wasn't expensive, and the look is much cleaner than those that still hang outside the back fender a bit (like the JKs did)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/license-plate-relocation.62772/

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Tire pressure makes a world of difference in the JK and JL. Stock JLs are delivered with 38-40psi, and drive like crap. Lower the pressure to 28-32 and the ride is much improved.
I would suggest keeping the air pressure to whatever your door sticker says. My 2021, 2-door Rubicon says 37 lbs for all 4 tires, and that is what I keep it at, except for off-roading, when I lower it to about 20-25 lbs.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I would suggest keeping the air pressure to whatever your door sticker says. My 2021, 2-door Rubicon says 37 lbs for all 4 tires, and that is what I keep it at, except for off-roading, when I lower it to about 20-25 lbs.
You would be wrong with that suggestion. At those pressures the handling is not comfortable and could be less safe.

Those ratings are for EPA standards, not optimal handling and safety.

Using a chalk test is one way to find the proper tire pressure. Weighing the 4 corners and following tire manufacturers specs for weight is another method.

Every tire is different, every loaded vehicle is different. There is no 1 size fits all.

For off road, lowering to 25lbs does nothing. Lower to 12-18lbs to accomplish extra traction.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My JL rides significantly quieter inside, but my 2015 JK felt more nimble and tossable.

For me the main factors for switching were the quieter V6, the amazing automatic, the Selec-Trac and all the bells and whistles. The ride was about the same but the handling wasn’t where it needed to be for an “updated” Wrangler.

My first JL test drive was a total fail: ESS made me stall twice making a left turn on a busy intersection. I was not impressed. But I had bought a Tacoma TRD Off-Road that I detested, and was determined to get back into a Wrangler. At one point I seriously considered buying another JK.

It took me two months of test drives and twelve JLs until I found one that steered okay.

I have no complaints now, I do like my JL, and it’s been relatively trouble-free. But if I were to be honest, it doesn’t feel like it’s going to last 5 years: it has intermittent minor electrical issues that come and go. And the only Jeep dealer in town is totally useless.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Any recommendation on some shocks that would contribute to a more luxury type ride? I don’t plan on getting a lift.
Shocks *control* really which I guess softens for more of a 'luxury ride'. i guess different people have different opinions of that and why i think adjustable shocks are a good thing. Good shocks control the heavy solid axles and large tires so your head isn't snapping back and forth over undulations and potholes aren't rattling your teeth. Shocks are the #1 most important part of a suspension. People spend $3k on a lift with $150 a piece shocks, not very smart imo.

I'm running the rough country vertex which are adjustable (5 way), 2.5'' body, and really made the most difference in ride and handling of anything I've done to the Jeep. HUGE improvement in the way the jeep rides and handles. I can whip it through turns like a sport suv on 35'' mud tires. They made such an improvement in the ride that if I had to buy a new set every year at $1600 I would lol.

Last edited:

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The 4Runner has IFS so it will always handle better on-road than the Wrangler's live front axle, especially highways. However the JL is significantly improved over the JK. Expect it to be more comparable, but not comparable.
Well, apparently peoples JLs handle better than 4runners and Tacomas... LOL

the 6 hour drive was about the same, if not better than my 4Runner.
I'm coming from a 2016 Tacoma, and the JL is way better.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
That is interesting. How can one make IFS worse than Live Axle on the highway? Sounds hard to do. Lol
I genuinely don’t understand the complaints about Wrangler handling on the highway. While I’m not a speed demon, it doesn’t handle much differently than other vehicle at speed in my experience. I think a Wranglers shortcoming regarding ride quality is around town. Coming to stops often, taking a lot of turns, taking bumps or potholes, etc.
Sponsored