Sponsored

How does everyone mount their cell phones?

NCBound

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I bought a two pack of these maxboost mounts from Amazon. I unscrewed the rubber prongs on the back and then dremmeled off a little lip on the back. I then stuck it to my jeep's ac vent with the supplied 3m tape. It's worked like a charm in my Cherokee and JL. I'm shocked at how good the 3m tape works....usually in heat, forget it. But mine hasn't failed in 4 years. It's not the perfect solution for all people because you have to give up one of your vents. For me....I always have the vents closed anyway, so it's no big deal. The ac vent can still spin open. I got the idea after seeing ppl gluing tiny mirrors to the left/right ac vents so they can still have mirrors while being doorless.

edit to add link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0GTZDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Im thinking about going this route so just to clarify, did the mounts you linked come with the 3M tape you used to attach this to your vent?

Scott_F

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon

Heynowwww

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport
I like this a lot. Did you use self tapping screws into the plastic of the tray for the track? What length?

Thanks,

-s

I’m glad you like. I used the screws that came with the track and they worked fine. Screwed into the dash plastic but I left the rubber cover on and screwed thru that as well because I think it looks better. Includes #10 Stainless Steel Self-Threading Screws. Let me know if you have other questions.

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Anyone have a mount that connects to the handle on the A pillar?

Sponsored

swwalker

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SUV, VW Jetta (Diesel) and 2019 Jeep Wrangler
Agreed. I jut got mine yesterday and it's really cool. In the past, I've never used a case/cover for my iPhone 8, so I was a tad concerned. But the case is sleek and the "slot" on the back doesn't bulge out much at all. The mount seems quite secure and - as others have noted - it blends in nicely when not in use. My only concern in how I'll ever get it off :)
I use Quad Lock as well. My iPhone goes from the Jeep to my bike in no time.

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Hello,

Here’s what I did to mount my phone. I spent about 70 dollars total. I think I have a solution that is comparable to the rail options on the market for half the price. It seems there are pros and cons to all the options but perhaps this is an alternative for you.

I can add more mounts, move things around, etc. For example, I have a go pro mount that can easily be added.

My next step is to run a USB port to the top of the dash so I don’t have wires hanging.

Thank you
Rick.

F3A69133-ECC9-4286-895E-3FF2EA8AEB14.jpeg

426FCAC6-1A59-4CCC-A874-2B3E03BF9C39.jpeg

3922EA22-D636-4E0C-8ED7-D375E4E9FAEE.jpeg

9185964E-361C-4FFB-A55E-70CACA43CBFC.jpeg
Did you run the USB up to the top of the dash yet? Looking at routing a 6ft cable from the center console usb plug for carplay and up to my mount in the same space.

Wanted to see if you have any input on the process or if it was pretty straight forward.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

dstep

First Name
Dmitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I was thinking of a simpler way to securely mount my phone and other overlanding gear I have and plan on getting (Garmin inReach mini) - without obstructing my windshield or drilling/disassembling the dashboard. Here is what I ended up designing and building.

The air vent mount mechanically clamps to the inner lip of the centre air vents. (side air vents have a different shape - learnt it the hard way).

It took a few iterations to get it right and make sure the clamp doesn't scratch the air vent.

Jeep vents are irregularly shaped but actually quite well built. Happy to share detailed photos if any of you find this interesting.

• Doesn't need glue or drilling or suction cups.
  • Air vent maintains most of its functionality: flow range (0-70%), direction (+/- 25deg).
  • Does not obstruct vision, the speakers, or mirrors and dash top storage cubby can still be used.
  • Doesn't scratch the air vent bezel - because it has a rubber insert pad.
  • I milled it out aluminum and used stainless screws.
  • The clamp has two holes 1.912" from center to center, matches the industry standard AMPS hole pattern and will connect to a large variety of RAM mounts and third party cradles.

What do you guys think?
I'm happy to share more photos of this.

DSCF5958.JPG

DSCF6007.JPG

DSCF5950.JPG