Sponsored

How does everyone mount their cell phones?

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Just added this mounting bar, so far so good. Haven't had a chance to see how the gopro works on it yet.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 20210508_091516_resized
Sponsored

drkrjones

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
No problem!! Here's a full write-up. The write-up has quite a bit of detail, but here's the quick version:
  1. Use a panel pry tool to remove the climate control / infotainment control panel. Be sure to use a pry tool, not a screwdriver. Disconnect the connectors on the back of the panel.
  2. Remove the screws holding the infotainment screen bezel in place and remove the bezel.
  3. Remove the screws holding the infotainment screen in place, disconnect the wires on the back. The wires are all color-coded for easy reassembly later.
  4. Remove the screws holding the 12V power port and window switch control panel, then disconnect the wiring connectors and remove that panel.
That's it! That will give you access to the back of the 12V power outlet where you can tap power. Quadratec sells an adapter specifically for it. (There's a link in that write-up.) You don't really need the adapter though. If you're electrical savvy, you can just splice into the power and ground wires for that socket.

I used a 3-circuit fuse box between the power tap and my dash accessories, but you really don't need to. The OE 12V power socket is already fused in the OE fuse box. It's fuse #52, 20A max, labeled "Cigar Lighter" in your owner's manual. Just keep in mind that the combined draw of anything you tap from that socket and plug into the socket can't exceed 20 amps.

Important note: You don't need to remove the instrument dash cluster or passenger-side dash panel (air bag) to do this. I only did that so I could paint them. Hiding the wires behind the dash only requires removal of the pieces I mentioned above.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Happy to help.
This is absolutely perfect (and something I can handle). Thanks again!

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I've been using the 67 designs trail rail with their spring loaded phone mount and carbon arm. Pretty happy with it honestly, really solid and looks great.

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
67 Designs phone mount. Pricey but I like bombing down gravel roads at 70 mph and this thing doesnt move a bit.

20210508_122219.jpg

20210508_122223.jpg

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I have the tow package and there is a hot wire in the passenger foot well.
If you have the tow package, using the wire @wibornz is referring to is an easier option than tapping into the 12V socket on the dash. In fact, it would be kinda silly to not use it if you have it. I used the 12V power socket on the dash for my phone because I used the other feeds for other accessories.

If you do have the tow package and plan to use those feeds, there are two options - one is a battery feed and one is an ignition switched feed. Just keep in mind that if you use the battery feed you run the risk of draining your battery if you have accessories connected that are always on.

Other info:
Battery wire: Fuse #72, 10A max
Switched wire: Fuse #50, 10A max

doyoufoo

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Subaru Forester
Frustrated by the pricey options, I went low rent. Benefits: it's removable and does not require any modification to your jeep... plus it costs like $2 at your local big box. It's a nite ize rubber twist tie - you can find these in multiple sizes depending on your phone size and how far you want it to hang down. Have not tried it off road but highway at high speed and usual road bumps have been fully tested.
Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? IMG_0421.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? IMG_0422.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? IMG_0423.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? IMG_5489

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
Frustrated by the pricey options, I went low rent. Benefits: it's removable and does not require any modification to your jeep... plus it costs like $2 at your local big box. It's a nite ize rubber twist tie - you can find these in multiple sizes depending on your phone size and how far you want it to hang down. Have not tried it off road but highway at high speed and usual road bumps have been fully tested.

VERY clever! This belongs in the "low budget hack" thread too! This is a really clever solution. I like that it doesn't block the windshield view as much, and that it's quickly and easily removable. It blocks the radio, obviously - but being so easy to remove that doesn't seem like a big deal. Plus, if you're in a shady part of town, you don't have a bunch of fancy looking doodads on your dash attracting attention.

Nicely done!

doyoufoo

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Subaru Forester
VERY clever! This belongs in the "low budget hack" thread too! This is a really clever solution. I like that it doesn't block the windshield view as much, and that it's quickly and easily removable. It blocks the radio, obviously - but being so easy to remove that doesn't seem like a big deal. Plus, if you're in a shady part of town, you don't have a bunch of fancy looking doodads on your dash attracting attention.

Nicely done!
Thanks MCJA

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Wait, that's a key holder? I LITERALLY thought that was a slot for a cell phone... and thusly..... now i feel stupid.
I didn't know this either, until after my first oil change and the tech left the fob there. I sat in my car for a good 3 minutes flailing around like an idiot trying to find it before I happened to try to put my phone there to get out and look under the seat...

When I'm using CarPlay my phone is plugged into the port in the center storage console (to keep the cord out of the way of the dash controls) and my phone is in the key fob slot by the cupholders. When I'm not using CarPlay I have the 67 Designs System with two arms, one phone holder, one iPad mini holder, and the GoPro mount.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 1620740469367

Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone seen a clamp style that could go around the dash handle in front of the passenger seat? I've tried using stick on magnetic mounts but the GA and FL sun kill the double stick tape and it keeps falling off.
I have one of these on the passenger grab bar/handle.
<https://cmmoffroad.com/collections/jeep-jl-parts/products/jl-grab-bar-ball-mount>

The 1" ball will fit the CMM arm and the 20mm ball will fit the 67 Design arms. It makes a great second mount for your passenger. I also use the 67 Designs iPad mount with this spot so the passenger can watch movies on a road trip without running the risk of getting pulled over because there's a "distraction" in view of the driver.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 1620741310257

th3taman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Recently installed the ProClip USA version allowing me to use MagSafe charger from Apple.

C5195629-99F2-4217-A374-5D3E3F84693C.jpeg

A9F36348-F87F-440B-ABA5-A71E7E4CB72D.jpeg

6AC267D8-3DC5-40F3-A6F2-A26B26578C3D.jpeg

FD8A7668-83C1-497E-BE28-F208C9681CE5.jpeg

BVES4

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK 2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? FD8A7668-83C1-497E-BE28-F208C9681CE5

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? FD8A7668-83C1-497E-BE28-F208C9681CE5

What size is this? 24inch? Genius

th3taman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Why don't you just use Waze on Apple Carplay?
I will at times. However, when I am on longer road trips I want to have easier access to Waze and closer to my line of sight. I don’t want it disappearing if wife is messing with music.
Sponsored