Sponsored

How does everyone mount their cell phones?

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
I got this baseus magnet from Aliexpress. Like because its rubberized as well. Hasn't fallen off yet but I do 99% of all driving on pavement.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 1624567240557

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 1624567082175
Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Recently installed the ProClip USA version allowing me to use MagSafe charger from Apple.

How is CarPlay working for you using wireless charging?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Why don't you just use Waze on Apple Carplay?
The problem with Waze is it requires an ongoing data connection. So does Apple Maps so does Google Maps.

Yes even if Google off line maps is used.

Yes even if you’ve started your route with Apple Maps, where it is *supposed* to capture your route.

They all suck to some degree.

I’m impressed with the open-source mapping software used on the 8” unit. Easy to keep updated, very accurate, and very flexible.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
The problem with Waze is it requires an ongoing data connection. So does Apple Maps so does Google Maps.

Yes even if Google off line maps is used.

Yes even if you’ve started your route with Apple Maps, where it is *supposed* to capture your route.

They all suck to some degree.

I’m impressed with the open-source mapping software used on the 8” unit. Easy to keep updated, very accurate, and very flexible.
Just a nit to pick. I am not sure why you think the map software In the Jeep sat/nav is open source. The map software itself is developed by a company that is paid by Jeep, or Jeep’s vendor. The overlaying services, like traffic, are also paid by Jeep to the providing company. I have not researched yet, but periodic updates to the map and services are additional cost paid for paid for by Jeep, and/or ultimately by the user. And by the way, the sat/nav in your vehicle is exchanging data all the time through satellites and cellular connections.

Not calling you out, and no disrespect meant, just trying to correct a misconception, and keep it from propagating.

th3taman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
How is CarPlay working for you using wireless charging?
Second phone was on CarPlay. I do preferred Waze interface on phone vs CarPlay. There’s a few features missing from it. Probably to limit you from doing things while driving.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just a nit to pick. I am not sure why you think the map software In the Jeep sat/nav is open source. The map software itself is developed by a company that is paid by Jeep, or Jeep’s vendor. The overlaying services, like traffic, are also paid by Jeep to the providing company. I have not researched yet, but periodic updates to the map and services are additional cost paid for paid for by Jeep, and/or ultimately by the user. And by the way, the sat/nav in your vehicle is exchanging data all the time through satellites and cellular connections.

Not calling you out, and no disrespect meant, just trying to correct a misconception, and keep it from propagating.
No research needed, it’s easy to pull up the license. Take a deep breath, it’s going to be ok. :) While updates require a cellular connection, navigation does not. Again, not complicated.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? B55593A4-5943-43F2-B7D4-FAB16863167E

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
No research needed, it’s easy to pull up the license. Take a deep breath, it’s going to be ok. :) While updates require a cellular connection, navigation does not. Again, not complicated.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? B55593A4-5943-43F2-B7D4-FAB16863167E
Just to be clear, I did not say your sat/nav required a cellular connection. I said that your vehicle is constantly exchanging data through satellites and cellular.

no deep breath needed. I find it amusing that people just shrug off making incorrect statements. When I misspeak I would like it pointed out. That way I don’t keep disseminating the same misinformation. If what/how we say things doesn’t matter, then why say anything? I am assuming you were not making your crowdsource statement in jest, and were therefore, meaning to be factual. Stated as a fact, it was wrong. A public license does not mean crowdsourced.

I read a lot of questions here, and ”think” I know the answer to that. As soon as that word comes up in my thought I don’t answer, because I don’t know that I am correct in my knowledge. Maybe I am overthinking it all, but damnit I am angry, and maybe I just need a Snickers…

Have a great weekend!

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
On the trail :+)
I went with a Carolina Metal Masters ball and a Tackform mount. Clean install and very sturdy.

First time I hear about those guys, they look 100% like 67designs, website seems to be much more friendly and there is much more accessories. Nice.

Sponsored

22Conrad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon, 2020 Q50
Do those rugged ridge (and other nearly identical looking) mounts like this hold a Tablet / IPad ? Trying to find a minimalist solution to mount my Ipad mini center above the infotaintment screen to easily look at either.

I cant tell how wide those arms open or even if their strong enough for the extra weight.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 1656430170982

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Do those rugged ridge (and other nearly identical looking) mounts like this hold a Tablet / IPad ? Trying to find a minimalist solution to mount my Ipad mini center above the infotaintment screen to easily look at either.

I cant tell how wide those arms open or even if their strong enough for the extra weight.

My iPhone kept falling out of mine whenever I hit a bumpy road. I don’t recommend it at all.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe

No, it won't hold a tablet, but the center arm is mounted with a standard 1/4-20 threaded screw, so any tripod or ball mount can be fitted to it. Or pull the holder and it's a 17mm plastic ball.

22Conrad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon, 2020 Q50
No, it won't hold a tablet, but the center arm is mounted with a standard 1/4-20 threaded screw, so any tripod or ball mount can be fitted to it. Or pull the holder and it's a 17mm plastic ball.
Thank you and Pic18.

Pic18, when you said it falls out are you just saying it falls out of the grip or does the whole holder fall off?

The goal is to have the mini ipad directly above the infotainment lcd but without obstructing it in any way. I went through this entire thread and didn't see exactly what we're trying to do (at least not without a whole lot more involvement with rails and not at all minimalist)

I'll see if I can find a tablet friendly thing that will just attached to that 17mm ball. If I do and it works out, I'll respond back here. We'll see how that works out.
Sponsored