Sponsored

How does everyone mount their cell phones?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

MJHuber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Bought the Wix Gear adhesive magnet and located it on the vent next to the display. It's super simple and is easily hidden by spinning the vent around, and the location for the phone is ideal.

20210101_135224.jpg

20210101_135237.jpg

20210101_135252.jpg

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Bought the Wix Gear adhesive magnet and located it on the vent next to the display. It's super simple and is easily hidden by spinning the vent around, and the location for the phone is ideal.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 20210101_135252

WTF is this sorcery. Take a video!

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

You sir might be the most creative, imaginative person out there on this. Brilliant and bravo. I wish these would work with the new MagSafe but the magnet isn’t strong enough and I don’t like adding those magnets to my case or phone but this is awesome.

MJHuber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You sir might be the most creative, imaginative person out there on this. Brilliant and bravo. I wish these would work with the new MagSafe but the magnet isn’t strong enough and I don’t like adding those magnets to my case or phone but this is awesome.
I wish I could take credit on this but I believe I saw it on another site. These magnets are really strong and just the right size and thickness.

Sponsored

FoxyJeeper

First Name
Foxyjeeper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Just installed this phone/drink holder. Really like the location and at $14.99 can’t beat the price (Phone in the photo is ancient and only for illustrative purposes since I needed my actual phone to take the photo).

52721F6C-640C-4E1F-9E8B-0E4D71EB9648.jpeg

E3FDD021-292D-4D46-AF4C-A62CEE23DFDA.jpeg

35FADBC6-864E-4453-A29F-56082638E7A1.png

JDBoss

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '20 F350 6.7L Tremor
Occupation
"Quiet Professional" (ret)
Loving our Carolina Metal Master A pillar mounts with a Ram Short Arm and the Ram Quick Grip XLs. The CMM pieces are pricey - but man, they are a work of art! Perfect fit.

drkrjones

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I used a RAM MOUNTS Tough-Track mounting system. I took it a bit further than the basic installation, though. I use a Qi wireless charger, and I also installed a dual USB outlet on the dash. I ran the wires behind the dash and added a custom fuse box for them behind the glove box.

I like the versatility of dash dock systems (RAM MOUNTS, 67 Designs, etc.) They offer great versatility for mounting various accessories. (radios, nav systems, tablets, cameras, etc.) By adding a USB outlet to my dock, I'm able to use any USB-power accessory I choose without having wires hanging down - a personal pet peeve.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 35FADBC6-864E-4453-A29F-56082638E7A1

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 35FADBC6-864E-4453-A29F-56082638E7A1
I was looking for a hidden wires mounting solution to my cell phone and I came across your post (and assorted pictures). This is EXACTLY what I want to do. Would you be so kind as to offer up a bit more explanation as to how you accomplished it? I realize that this is a big ask, so I completely understand if you say no. Thank you for taking the time to post an amazing set-up.

Kyle Jones

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I was looking for a hidden wires mounting solution to my cell phone and I came across your post (and assorted pictures). This is EXACTLY what I want to do. Would you be so kind as to offer up a bit more explanation as to how you accomplished it? I realize that this is a big ask, so I completely understand if you say no. Thank you for taking the time to post an amazing set-up.

Kyle Jones
I ran wires behind the dash that power a USB bank. The USP bank has 6 slots and is hot all the time unless I turn it off at the power bank.

It takes about 10 minutes to take the dash apart to run the wire behind the dash and put it back together.

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 1620422180627

Jeep Wrangler JL How does everyone mount their cell phones? 1620422208114

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I ran wires behind the dash that power a USB bank. The USP bank has 6 slots and is hot all the time unless I turn it off at the power bank.

It takes about 10 minutes to take the dash apart to run the wire behind the dash and put it back together.

Does CarPlay work if your phone is connected to the USB hub?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Does CarPlay work if your phone is connected to the USB hub?
No, and I don't use car play. I did this because I hate it when Jeep tries to take control of my phone when charging it with the Jeep USB ports.

drkrjones

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon

Where are you pulling the power from? Cigarette lighter, usb port?

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel

Kyle Jones
No problem!! Here's a full write-up. The write-up has quite a bit of detail, but here's the quick version:
  1. Use a panel pry tool to remove the climate control / infotainment control panel. Be sure to use a pry tool, not a screwdriver. Disconnect the connectors on the back of the panel.
  2. Remove the screws holding the infotainment screen bezel in place and remove the bezel.
  3. Remove the screws holding the infotainment screen in place, disconnect the wires on the back. The wires are all color-coded for easy reassembly later.
  4. Remove the screws holding the 12V power port and window switch control panel, then disconnect the wiring connectors and remove that panel.
That's it! That will give you access to the back of the 12V power outlet where you can tap power. Quadratec sells an adapter specifically for it. (There's a link in that write-up.) You don't really need the adapter though. If you're electrical savvy, you can just splice into the power and ground wires for that socket.

I used a 3-circuit fuse box between the power tap and my dash accessories, but you really don't need to. The OE 12V power socket is already fused in the OE fuse box. It's fuse #52, 20A max, labeled "Cigar Lighter" in your owner's manual. Just keep in mind that the combined draw of anything you tap from that socket and plug into the socket can't exceed 20 amps.

Important note: You don't need to remove the instrument dash cluster or passenger-side dash panel (air bag) to do this. I only did that so I could paint them. Hiding the wires behind the dash only requires removal of the pieces I mentioned above.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Happy to help.
Sponsored