How does everyone mount their cell phones?

1. VGxHC

VGxHC Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    19 JLU
    Liked:
    67 Designs mount and a retractable charger from Amazon. Keeps everything nice and neat.

ozzysjeep likes this.
  2. kimmonia

kimmonia Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
    Liked:
    Proclip and iautoMount

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1474.jpg

3. Pic18

Pic18 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
    Liked:
    How has the Rugged Ridge Mount been works for you? After having mine for about 8 months, I uninstalled it yesterday. I’ve had my phone fall out a few times and I haven’t even been off-road yet. I have an iPhone 6 in an otter box. I feel the phone holder wobbles a bit too much and the tabs aren’t strong enough to hold the thickness of the otter box.

MACjeeps likes this.
  4. Drsaekimdc

Drsaekimdc Member

First Name:
    Sae
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU
    Liked:
  5. bgj1010

bgj1010 Active Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
    Liked:
    Systems Engineer
    I have the Rugged Ridge Dash Multi Mount. It holds a phone (PIXEL 3 XL) and a GoPro or other action cam. It's fantastic. I don't have a photo of my phone locked in, but I have it grip the top 1" of my phone and let it rest on the bezel to the UCONNECT display. It's secure as can be, even wheeling.

6. bgj1010

bgj1010 Active Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
    Liked:
    Systems Engineer
    Mine is fantastic, after I figured the best way to mount my PIXEL 3 XL. I had it in the middle forever and it would definitely pop out on big bumps and wheeling all the time. Now I let the jaws squeeze just the top 1" and rest the body of the phone flat against the UCONNECT display upper bezel. It's perfect, and my big ass phone doesn't move, period.

Pic18 likes this.
  7. spampy22

spampy22 Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jl Rubi Granite
    Liked:
    Right below the vent as its flexible.

Drsaekimdc likes this.
  8. Drsaekimdc

Drsaekimdc Member

First Name:
    Sae
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU
    Liked:
    Thanks! Just ordered one

9. 47Jeepster

47Jeepster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR: 2018 Grand Cherokee Summit
    Liked:
    Retired
    Love the 67 Designs Rail, but bought it last fall based on their promise of a large universal holder coming in November. Well, here we are at the end of July and they no longer even make mention of one being released. So, here are a couple of mods that I did to my present rail stuff to get my mini tablet (7") mounted.

First I wanted to get the mount(s) closer to the dash. However, the ridges on the end clamps look like they could damage the top of the dash over time. So, down to my local Home Depot for a 2' piece of this tubing ... about $5:
    Tubing.jpg

Cut two pieces a little over 1" long, soaked them in HOT water for a half minute, and then slid them over the spacer tubing on the mount. The outer diameter of the tubing is larger than the ridges, so I can suck the mount in close to the dash without fear of causing damage to the top of the dash. Here's what the tubing looks like on the passenger phone holder.

Passenger Phone Holder.jpg

I also have a driver side phone holder, so played around mocking up an adapter for my mini tablet that would utilize the phone holder. Mounting the mini tablet in close to front of the dash is the secret to making it fit in the space available. You'll notice that the top edge of the tablet is even with the top of my hood ... no loss of visibility to the trail ... well, a really small blockage at the far right corner of the hood. And, the bottom of the tablet doesn't interfere with any info on the 8.4' unit.

7 inch Tablet.jpg

Love the tablet mounted in that position when on the trail ... you can check progress without really taking your eyes off the trail. Of course I made the mistake of installing Locus Pro on my wife's phone, so she is lightening fast at pointing out any navigation mistakes.

Here's what the prove design adapter looks like ... not pretty, but very functional. You can't see them, but there are four 1/4" tabs of double sided carpet tape between the mount and the tablet. Then I have two one inch wide strips of Gorilla duct tape for additional holding power. The exposed wooden block is as tall as my phone is wide ... plus a little bit of extra height for the additional holding power of the universal phone mount.

Tablet Adapter.jpg

I set the universal phone holder up with the phone mounted horizontal instead of vertical and with the fixed lip on the bottom ... figured that was more secure on a bumpy road than with the movable lip on the bottom. The really neat side benefit of this approach is that the holder never has to be moved or exchanged ... during on-road days it holds the phone and during off-road days it holds the tablet.

I've been using this set up for over a month now and have had no problems with the tablet coming loose.

10. JAY1941

JAY1941 Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler Sport
    Liked:
    67 Designs. I love it. And I never “love” products. I’m picky about build quality, they exceeded my expectations.

11. JAY1941

JAY1941 Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler Sport
    Liked:
    This is what I ordered.

33C78354-EDE0-4FDF-ACD1-27068282F018.jpeg

12. GenaL

GenaL Member

First Name:
    Gena
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0 2-door (Firecracker Red)
    Liked:
    Thanks! I have gone through 4 other types of phone holders and have hated everything. Nothing worked. This was perfect!

spampy22 likes this.
  13. Mikeoso

Mikeoso Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    1997 Ram 1500 2006 Ram 1500 2019 Jl Sport
    Liked:
    Retired history teacher
    Using the Rugged Ridge. My Android is also my nav sys, so it has to be up at eye level.
    51NcxubP6RL._SL1500_.jpg

14. 99wishes

99wishes Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jl Moab
    Liked:
    How is this setup working? Do you get any vibration or has the phone shifted on bumpy roads?

15. Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
    Liked:

I used the 67 Design Rail System for the Phone and iPad. Works out great.

Chipe likes this.