Sponsored

How does everyone mount their cell phones?

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TRIXU/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQNRTDI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first link shows the ball attachment that fits perfectly on the screws under the rubber coin holder. I cut the rubber thing in three pieces-cutting out just enough for the ram mount to fit and replaced the rubber pieces. Works fine. I put some Gorilla contact cement (removable you decide to move it) on the mount where it touches the back of the coin holder and some on the screws that attach the balls-probably not necessary, but It will be a little extra security to keep the mount from moving L or R and the screw tight. So far absolutely no issues. Once the ball is in place you can use any configuration of RAM arms etc. It keeps my GPS low enough to see over it the other side is used for my Garmin InReach.

The second link is what I used on the passenger grab bar for phone mounts. I replaced the ram provided screws with these screws - the "screws" holding the grab bar are fake. These self tapping screws hold great and are the proper length. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIBCBKC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The third link is a great ram device that will fit on the passenger or driver side grab bar if you have some extra things to mount. (no photo)

140319-bc953042173a1aed145d5d9bbaf9da4b.jpg

140320-7a00b278cbf433d4746d13255a663189.jpg

140317-da03b900c1ed076f9e58bbb001d9e21f.jpg

140318-7fee1a6d2a9ce376b05340376e2413f8.jpg
That's perfect - thank you VERY much!
Sponsored

Seven-gill

First Name
Linh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep JLUR, '15 Range Rover HSE, '05 Toyota 4Runner
Hi Everyone.... I am wondering why people are mounting their phone. CarPlay provides access to text, maps, phone, etc. So I have ended up just putting my phone under the arm rest in the big compartment. I am sure depending on what you put in this compartment...that might be a bad idea. But curious as to what everyone is using on their phone that is not accessible via CarPlay.

Now, although I put my phone in the compartment. I often forget I put it in there and then go scurrying about wondering where I left it. I am thinking mounting it would solve this problem so I am searching for options.
This has happened to me so often I no longer store it in the compartment!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a series of mounts including cell phone using Ram Mounts-on the dash you utilize the screws under the rubber coin holder and on the grab bar replace the useless fake screws with a ram ball-ram mount and gun magnet. The "standard" magnet mounts will not hold your phone on a rough trail.
jl01.jpg
jl02.jpg
jl03.jpg
jl04.jpg
jl05.jpg
How can you see out of the windshield? Or use the rear view mirror? Automatic pull over and fix it ticket most places.
We used to love to play with people that had radar detectors. When driving in the city and behind someone with a detector would turn our radar gun off and on over and over again. So they didn't know if there was radar around or not. Cops like to have fun. They didn't have tasers back then so missed out on that fun.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
How can you see out of the windshield? Or use the rear view mirror? Automatic pull over and fix it ticket most places.
We used to love to play with people that had radar detectors. When driving in the city and behind someone with a detector would turn our radar gun off and on over and over again. So they didn't know if there was radar around or not. Cops like to have fun. They didn't have tasers back then so missed out on that fun.
Nothing is blocking driver view unless you are 4’ tall. Every thing is way below eye level except the dash cam and it doesn’t block anything. Used to have a black box that would set off radar detectors had a lot of fun with that. Had one guy in an old Lincoln with bad shocks jumping up and down like a shortstop He never figured it out

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing is blocking driver view unless you are 4’ tall. Every thing is way below eye level except the dash cam and it doesn’t block anything. Used to have a black box that would set off radar detectors had a lot of fun with that. Had one guy in an old Lincoln with bad shocks jumping up and down like a shortstop He never figured it out
Some states have laws that don't allow anything above the level of the dash so that there is no quibbling about what is in view. And distracted driving laws don't allow add on distractions. Also many states don't allow any stickers, unless government issued, on any window. Good reason for the laws but also gives cops a valid reason to pull over vehicles to search for drugs, guns, warrants, etc. Seem to have heard there are places in GA where that happens a lot. Even if someone isn't in those categories getting pulled over isn't a fun experience.

Sponsored

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
I find that the restrictions are for windshield suction cup mounted things. Nothing but the Radar Detector is suction cup mounted in my photo-I have since moved it to an additional ram mount on the empty ball shown to the right of the gps; so nothing is on the windshield itself. That being said it is not illegal in Georgia to mount via suction cup as long as the device doesn't restrict the drivers view. I can't find any state with any restriction to things mounted just above the dash not attached to the windshield as long as the driver's view is not restricted. What you are saying is that in some states you could be stopped for laying a map on the dash; glad I live in Georgia. I've driven over a half-million miles all over the US with the ram-mount setup in either a TJ, YJ. JK, JL or Grand Cherokee and never had an issue.

As Rhett Butler (from Georgia) said..."Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"...and for those that do, here's some information

suctionCupLaws-01.jpg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm using the POWR mount, with suction cup to my windsheild, mounted above the 12v outlet. It doubles as a wireless rapid charger. Keeps the screen right where I can see it, with no additional wires, and keeps my phone charged up. Plus, the way the mount works is awesome. It's spring loaded and you just drop the phone right in, pull it right out.

https://www.powr.co/products/powr-wireless-car-charger

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
This is for tablets or the iPad, but thought I would share it here. ProClip just came out with this heavy-duty mount. You could use the back plate to mount two phones if you wanted as well.

Sponsored

RubiconRider

First Name
Deen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2016 Rubicon
Yes, I still like that option for charging and for when I use Android Auto (since you don't need to see the phone screen), but I recently installed the Rugged Ridge Multi Dash Mount, and this makes for a much more useful setup. When the weather warms up, I'll figure out a way to hardwire a USB port somewhere behind it.

IMG_20190205_123013.jpg
I have the same mount and did this.

33345557098_5350766c77-jpg.jpg

32279000697_6a9843e482-jpg.jpg

ttsquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I have 2018 JLUR. I use the 67 Designs driver and passenger squeeze mount. Not the rail mount. A little pricey but just what I wanted. Driver Phone only sticks up about half over dash and I still can see and control center screen. Passenger mount hold the phone, if I have a passenger or holds my microphone of the cobra 75 wxst cb. I just put the cb mike holder mount on a piece of wood and the put the wood in the squeeze mount. Hold the mike perfect. Also, the mounts are easy to remove when necessary. TTS

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Carolina Metal Masters has a couple nice ram mount options

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Hondo Garage mount with Carolina Metal Masters ball mount that replaces the bolt on the grab rail.

1BAF4AE3-20CD-4130-A405-17170C43AB77.jpeg

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Just dropped $80 on Proclip Mount, Holder & vertical plate with 10% off. Hope it lives up to its name. Really liked the position of this one vs others. Will post pic when mounted up!
Sponsored