Sponsored

How does ESS work on a Manual

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
How does the ESS work with a manual? Does it turn off after X amount of time with the clutch pushed in? For some reason a manual and ESS seems counter intuitive.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
How does the ESS work with a manual? Does it turn off after X amount of time with the clutch pushed in? For some reason a manual and ESS seems counter intuitive.
Shits engine off after shifting to neutral and releasing the clutch. Starts after depressing the clutch. Should actually be less annoying than an automatic.

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
i can say i almost never do that. I have to be stopped for a long time before I bother.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I’ll repost some vids from another thread to help illustrate the proces for two systems, and whle iniitially ESS and a mualis non-BSG, next summer the introduction of the PUG+BSG may change that if it still gets the manual too.

Bosch's ESS, specifically detailing manual transmission process;

Valeo's BSG example has enhanced starter and BSG and manual transmission examples;

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-startup-vid-soft-top.1420/page-2#post-12091

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'll actually like this feature for drive-through windows, if the restart doesn't have too much NVH.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
All of this "seamless stop/starting " assumes that the engine is going to instantly start.
How embarrassing (best case) would it be IF the engine, due to miles, needing tune-up, etc, DOESN'T instantly start ?? What if it just sits there, cranking away ? Theres a lot of Sensors, of course they are Infallible, that have to be working for this whole process to take place.
How reliable is this over time ?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
i can say i almost never do that. I have to be stopped for a long time before I bother.
^ This. Maybe at a long stop light...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All of this "seamless stop/starting " assumes that the engine is going to instantly start.
How embarrassing (best case) would it be IF the engine, due to miles, needing tune-up, etc, DOESN'T instantly start ?? What if it just sits there, cranking away ? Theres a lot of Sensors, of course they are Infallible, that have to be working for this whole process to take place.
How reliable is this over time ?
I'm sure if you don't maintain your engine that could be an issue, but engines do well for so much longer now than they used to. My old 3.8 with 120k on it starts and runs like new, so it wouldn't be bothered at this point. I worry more about wear and tear on the starter over time.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I often shift to neutral and coast to the next stop sign / light, so I suspect that I'll need to disable the ESS.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The video says that it "gives you a quick and reliable start every time". That sounds like a verbal contract to me and they are now guaranteeing their starter and battery forever. They might need to update that video... LMAO...

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Shits engine off after shifting to neutral and releasing the clutch. Starts after depressing the clutch. Should actually be less annoying than an automatic.
I agree. With a manual, there is already a delay for depressing the clutch and shifting into first so the engine starts and is ready when you need it. That's not the case in an auto. My problem is that I find myself enabling and disabling ESS depending on how long I think I'll be at a stop which is an added, unwelcome distraction.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My favorite feature of the Tazer JL is disabling that annoying feature. I thought I might actually use it, but I wound up hating it.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I often shift to neutral and coast to the next stop sign / light, so I suspect that I'll need to disable the ESS.
I thought it wouldn’t bother me, but it does. In traffic it’s like a golf cart. Yes, just press a button to disable, but I never remember until after the first engine stop. My Tazer should be here tomorrow...

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it wouldn’t bother me, but it does. In traffic it’s like a golf cart. Yes, just press a button to disable, but I never remember until after the first engine stop. My Tazer should be here tomorrow...
From what I've gathered, it works differently with a manual transmission, so it might not be as much of an issue for me. If I do find it an issue, I suspect that I can create a unit that will get rid of the annoyance with an Arduino micro-controller and a relay for $5-6.

Here's a solution that I've thought of and I think it should work (assuming I am correct in my assumptions of how the ESS works):

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/miscellaneous/wrangler-jl-electronic-start-stop

Also, instead of being called "electronic start stop", is should have been called "auto start stop", that way we could use the acronym ASS instead of ESS. That would make it fun on the various forums that have net-nanny filters that censor certain words. :)

And considering how some people seem to really hate this system, "ASS" would be more appropriate.

And then we could say that "Jeep ASS really stinks". So much better than saying "Jeep ESS really stinks".
Sponsored

Last edited: