How do you wash your Jeep in the winter

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
A lot of folks will only hand wash their Jeeps to prevent scratches, but when it's freezing outside that may not be possible.
I am in that category. In Vegas, I can wash year round. If it is too hot or cold for comfort, I wash in the garage with the two bucket method.
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Spray it off with a pressure washer and use ONR (optimum no rinse). I use two 5 gallon buckets full of hot water, put ONR in one and just water in the rinse bucket. I do a panel at a time, spraying an ONR solution on the panel, washing with the mitt and drying before moving onto the next panel.

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
I generally do not wash my jeep. I have probably washed my JK twenty times over the last ten years. Twice in a drive through car wash. Once it knocked my fender loose and another time the guy handed me my fender when I came out the other end. I have already washed my new JLU after three weeks but that won't last long!

Sponsored

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I just ordered my first jeep but haven't received it yet. Never thought about washing it. So I can't take it through a car wash?
It depends on the width of your tires.

I take mine to the DIY carwash and spray it down. Whatever is left on the Jeep is rinsed off with hot water and then wipe down with a chamois.

I washed my Jeep on Saturday when the temp was 27 degrees. The hot water was dripping from my Jeep and freezing on the ground.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In Georgia, I get pleanty of above freezing days to wash my Jeep. In the colder months, I'll usually just pressure wash the mud off, including the undercarriage with one of those attachments that spray upwards on wheels. Then foam cannon, a quick sponging and rinse. Just a quick wash so its not filthy.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Some gas stations with car washes might do unlimited plans too. It's really nice to have during the winter. From sometime in spring to sometime in fall I wash my own vehicles though. I got a pressure washer, and for some reason I enjoy spraying things with it after I've had a few drinks 😉
theres not a whole lot of car wash in my area that are descent. none at the gas station. even if there is one. i wouldnt trust it.

i wash mine from april to oct. use the once a year wax in april. detail wax either every wash or every other wash. it depends on the time of the wash. the jeep get washed every 2 or 3 weeks. so it has plenty of protection for the winter if i dont get to wash it. the belly is lacking.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I've lived in Northern IL most of my life and now I'm in Milwaukee. Both states use salt. I'm mostly concerned with getting the salt off, so I do an undercarriage wash after every snow. But that's the only time I wash it during the winter.

It just snowed last night, so I just went through a touchless wash 30 minutes ago.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I use an eye dropper and cotton balls. Work my way around the vehicle 2 inches at a time. Usually start a wash on Monday and finish by Thursday. 🙄
I used to do that before I learned that cotton balls leave micro scratches. Now I cut up a micro fiber cloth then hot glue the pieces on the ends of q tips so I can't physically apply enough pressure to leave any kind of a scratch. Works much better, takes 3 extra days though.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase