First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
For road dust I use a no wash product, works great.
For mud I power wash it fully dressed.

I wouldn't spray a hose anywhere near a naked jeep, way too many electronics, I would be a nervous wreck.

I remember the day I got stuck in a downpour in my TJ with the top down, figured I would be ok...jeeps are waterproof right?, jeep did some strange things for a few weeks after that.
Had to replace the 10 pin connector in the dash because it got wet and shorted all kinds of electrical components.
The last issue was when couldn't get the headlights to turn on until I turned off the radio
Sponsored

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Just pull up to a drivethru wash... pay, and smile and you get the suds. (never said you didn't need a bath too) ;):rain::bow:

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Wow, completely different experience than my TJs. I wonder if the earlier years were different than the later ones. I had a 2003, then a 2005 which I kept until a couple of weeks ago. From somewhere around May 1 to usually mid-Sept neither of these had tops or doors on. I drove them like this through downpours at speeds as high as 70 mph. They also saw snow, and hail. They've sat outside and filled with water or snow when I forgot to pull the drain plugs. I had taken both to the manual carwash where I'd spray off the seats and floors, I never sprayed full power at the dash, but I didn't go out of my way to avoid it either. I never had an electrical problem with either of these TJs. I expect the JL to be just as water resistant as my TJs were.

For the original question of how to wash a naked JL... hose off the outside then hose off the inside (if it needs it), don't forget your drain plugs. If your seats or carpet get too wet, park it in the sun for a bit.
Could have been just a coincidence or bad timing, but I had a 98, she went through mud and rivers frequently and was seriously abused lol,
Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't that rain storm lol

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the input brother! I'm highly intrigued by this 3M film thing.. How exactly does it work and who sells it??

The Paint Protection films, like 3m, Xpel and Suntek, these are by far the best protection short of armour on the exterior of your Jeep. These are clear plastic film that are tough as nails and will resist rock ships and trail scratches, the best part is they are SELF HEALING, get a scratch park in the sun for a bit scratches disippear and it looks like new again.

I had the 3m Pro installed it has a 10 year warranty cost $1600 for the entire wrangler except the tailgate area and grill. I did all 4 doors, full hood, fenders, fender flares. My wrangler is black and the film actually looks better than the new Stock paint.

Note I looked at Xpel but many reviews suggested it has a bit of an orange peel, I then went and saw a car that had both 3M and Expel the 3M leaps and bounds better visually. Another factor for me was here in the Seattle market, 3M dominates and several shops have recently dropped Xpel and switched to 3M Pro. They are all good protection products though with just a few nuances.

The Cost of the film is expensive so there would be a lot of risk trying to apply yourself, it can be done though.

Many detail shops as well as window tinting shops will install. Note: got quotes anywhere between $1200 to $4500 for the same product installed. I did not go with the lowest (from Craigslist) and opted for the $1600 quote from a small local chain of window tint stores that have been around for 15 years as they are more likely to be around to support the 10 year warranty 3m offers. Sounds expensive but the e paint protection is amazing and should look like new for many years even in a off road environment.

cvmke

First Name
Craig Vuoso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I just use my hose in the driveway. Front and rear I was as normal, when I get to the sides/door jambs, I use the soaker setting on the nozzle and very little gets inside.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
If it's just normal day-to-day dirt, use a "waterless" car wash product. OK... you do need to use wet towels but you don't have to spray it. I use that for my regular cleaning and it works amazingly well. But if it's mud or trail dirt... can't help ya there...

IMG_0885.png
I'm definitely gonna start subscribing to that method here soon! Got some optimum no rinse inbound due to several endorsements here and elsewhere, so we'll see how that goes! Ultimately, I'm willing to do what it takes to leave my doors off and keep it looking good :)

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S

I wouldn't spray a hose anywhere near a naked jeep, way too many electronics, I would be a nervous wreck.

I remember the day I got stuck in a downpour in my TJ with the top down, figured I would be ok...jeeps are waterproof right?, jeep did some strange things for a few weeks after that.
Had to replace the 10 pin connector in the dash because it got wet and shorted all kinds of electrical components.
The last issue was when couldn't get the headlights to turn on until I turned off the radio
A result like this is exactly what I'm picturing! I freaked out about a little rain yesterday when I made a mad dash to get a scaffold for a DIY hard top removal/storage job (seen here). Anyway, wonder how the JL would hold up?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Wow, completely different experience than my TJs. I wonder if the earlier years were different than the later ones. I had a 2003, then a 2005 which I kept until a couple of weeks ago. From somewhere around May 1 to usually mid-Sept neither of these had tops or doors on. I drove them like this through downpours at speeds as high as 70 mph. They also saw snow, and hail. They've sat outside and filled with water or snow when I forgot to pull the drain plugs. I had taken both to the manual carwash where I'd spray off the seats and floors, I never sprayed full power at the dash, but I didn't go out of my way to avoid it either. I never had an electrical problem with either of these TJs. I expect the JL to be just as water resistant as my TJs were.

For the original question of how to wash a naked JL... hose off the outside then hose off the inside (if it needs it), don't forget your drain plugs. If your seats or carpet get too wet, park it in the sun for a bit.
Man I gotta tell you, reading this blows my mind! I knew Jeeps were rugged, but had no idea of this level of protection from the elements! Can you comment on JL waterproofing from the factory? I'd really like to know my left and right lateral limits, as we'd say in the Corps...

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I knoww but black looks so sexy when it's clean!!

I totally agree,

Dirt is not a Jeep badge of honor, a clean Wrangler shows the owner tales pride in their rig. I guess those that think Jeeps are suppose to be dirty also think lawns should not be mowed, houses should not be repainted.

There are thousands of pictures on this and other forums of members Wrangler most of which are of Clean Wranglers, in fact there are countless pics of pics of showing off their wranglers right after washing.

Many including myself had installed paint protection films and or Ceramic coatings because we want our Wrangler to continue to look like new..

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

No Wash products is a NO-GO on Black especially the Mopar Black factory paint, scratches so easily.

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
The Paint Protection films, like 3m, Xpel and Suntek, these are by far the best protection short of armour on the exterior of your Jeep. These are clear plastic film that are tough as nails and will resist rock ships and trail scratches, the best part is they are SELF HEALING, get a scratch park in the sun for a bit scratches disippear and it looks like new again.

I had the 3m Pro installed it has a 10 year warranty cost $1600 for the entire wrangler except the tailgate area and grill. I did all 4 doors, full hood, fenders, fender flares. My wrangler is black and the film actually looks better than the new Stock paint.

Note I looked at Xpel but many reviews suggested it has a bit of an orange peel, I then went and saw a car that had both 3M and Expel the 3M leaps and bounds better visually. Another factor for me was here in the Seattle market, 3M dominates and several shops have recently dropped Xpel and switched to 3M Pro. They are all good protection products though with just a few nuances.

The Cost of the film is expensive so there would be a lot of risk trying to apply yourself, it can be done though.

Many detail shops as well as window tinting shops will install. Note: got quotes anywhere between $1200 to $4500 for the same product installed. I did not go with the lowest (from Craigslist) and opted for the $1600 quote from a small local chain of window tint stores that have been around for 15 years as they are more likely to be around to support the 10 year warranty 3m offers. Sounds expensive but the e paint protection is amazing and should look like new for many years even in a off road environment.

Mind is blown buy this product! Thanks for the detailed info/testimony brother, I'm definitely going to look into this some more. I wonder if I were to do this say, 5 years from now, would it ha ve the effect of restoring the paint like new? Or would not doing it right away negate the effectiveness... This question I will ponder...
Sponsored