OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
:blush: Yeah, sorry. I saw the picture of the cargo mats instructions and missed the part where you said you were taking the seats out.
It's the thought that counts. :) I was borrowing those instructions to help, but they were useless, like Ikea instructions.
Sponsored

Sponsored

Sponsored

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
I removed my yesterday using the screwdriver technique. A word of warning, you will destroy the metal clips that hold it in place. The proper way to remove them would be to squeeze the clip under the metal bracket together then the gap cover and clips will slide right out. The problem is you would need a tool like pliers that are set at a 90 degree angle to reach them and squeeze them. I don't know of such a tool. The other way to remove them would be to take out the seats (which is difficult to do with the gap cover covering the seat bolts), turn them upside down and squeeze the clips that way.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I removed my yesterday using the screwdriver technique. A word of warning, you will destroy the metal clips that hold it in place. The proper way to remove them would be to squeeze the clip under the metal bracket together then the gap cover and clips will slide right out. The problem is you would need a tool like pliers that are set at a 90 degree angle to reach them and squeeze them. I don't know of such a tool.
I came to the same conclusion, even looked for some 90 degree needle nose pliers. Once I got it out, I changed out the clips for some less aggressive ones. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/retaining-clips.25906/

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I removed my yesterday using the screwdriver technique. A word of warning, you will destroy the metal clips that hold it in place. The proper way to remove them would be to squeeze the clip under the metal bracket together then the gap cover and clips will slide right out. The problem is you would need a tool like pliers that are set at a 90 degree angle to reach them and squeeze them. I don't know of such a tool. The other way to remove them would be to take out the seats (which is difficult to do with the gap cover covering the seat bolts), turn them upside down and squeeze the clips that way.
I lost one in the cracks, could get but lazy.

Didnt break not one...you need to grasp the spacer close to where the clip is and quickly give it a strong jolt like I said and you'll have no problems. It's only clipped to plastic. Can be a pain but not difficult.

Using the screwdriver will damage...screwdriver will give you no leverage for what you were trying to do. I'm sure you wrestled with that thing for a while.

Anyway. Glad all ended up working out.

TonyC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon Unlimited and 2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Youtube video here shows how to remove the gap panel:

allenh777

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Don’t just pull on it, you will destroy the clip and cause more work to put things back together. Use a channel lock plier and squeeze the clip from the bottom and pull up. Super easy, it’ll take about 2-3 minutes to get all the clips to release.

648A1A52-D22E-43D8-918A-7EBD34E3E41B.jpeg
Sponsored