Sponsored

How do you remove the gap hider on a JL Rubicon

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Without breaking it, does anyone know how to remove the gap hider on a 4 door JL Rubicon? I removed the cargo cover by removing the 6 d-rings, still nothing there to remove near the gap cover. It might "snap" off some how, but which direction? I don't want to break it. My ultimate goal is to get to the 18mm bolts to remove the back seat. I watched a few videos, but they skipped how they removed it. And the instructions below from the cargo liner kit show it needs to be removed, but not how. I tried pulling both forwards and backwards, nothing. Again, don't want to break it. Arrrrrr. Thanks.

remove.jpeg
Sponsored

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Which direction? And pull while the flaps are down or up? I pulled and it feels like it going to rip or break the plastic.
Seats down...pull up.

I know it feels like gonna break but wont.

Give one of the ends a good jerk upwards.

Bit of a pain in the ass

Sponsored

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Seats down...pull up.

I know it feels like gonna break but wont.

Give one of the ends a good jerk upwards.

Bit of a pain in the ass
Confirmed, seats down, but do you pull straight up towards the roof and do you pull up by the hinged flaps or by the back edge of the gap hider? Seems like it will rip where the flap is split in the middle or might rip off the hinges.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Funny, the seat bolts are too tight for an open ended wrench that fits in the gap so I need to remove the flap to get a socket on it, but the ball joints were finger tight. Go figure.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Confirmed, seats down, but do you pull straight up towards the roof and do you pull up by the hinged flaps or by the back edge of the gap hider? Seems like it will rip where the flap is split in the middle or might rip off the hinges.
Listen,

1. Fold both rear seats down

2. Grab an end near rear door striker.

3. Grab firmly.

4. Give it a good tug upwards(towards the roof) like a seagull is trying to steal it from you.:muscle:

It's pain because they are metal clips...use some muscle

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I've read a number of posts that say removing the gap hider isn't actually necessary to install the cargo mats anyway. It's a little easier if it's out of the way, but getting it out of the way is a pain.

Sponsored

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've read a number of posts that say removing the gap hider isn't actually necessary to install the cargo mats anyway. It's a little easier if it's out of the way, but getting it out of the way is a pain.
As I mentioned, I am removing the back seats, not installing a cargo mat. :) I can't access the seat bolts with a socket because the gap hider is on top of the bolts.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Need to remove it

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Listen,

1. Fold both rear seats down

2. Grab an end near rear door striker.

3. Grab firmly.

4. Give it a good tug upwards(towards the roof) like a seagull is trying to steal it from you.:muscle:

It's pain because they are metal clips...use some muscle
That's what I tried, but felt like the weak point between the two flaps was going to rip. I figured it out by inserting a wide flat blade screw driver just under the clips and the metal bed and lifted up on the screw driver for each clip. I probably used 1/16 of the muscle power via the screw driver method than I did on the unsuccessful seagull tug of war contest. lol Thanks for your help, I wasn't initially sure if pulling up or back was right. It for sure would of ripped if I pulled in the other direction.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
That's what I tried, but felt like the weak point between the two flaps was going to rip. I figured it out by inserting a wide flat blade screw driver just under the clips and the metal bed and lifted up on the screw driver for each clip. I probably used 1/16 of the muscle power via the screw driver method than I did on the unsuccessful seagull tug of war contest. lol Thanks for your help, I wasn't initially sure if pulling up or back was right. It for sure would of ripped if I pulled in the other direction.
PULL THE FACKING THING GUY

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
As I mentioned, I am removing the back seats, not installing a cargo mat. :) I can't access the seat bolts with a socket because the gap hider is on top of the bolts.
:blush: Yeah, sorry. I saw the picture of the cargo mats instructions and missed the part where you said you were taking the seats out.
Sponsored