How do you pronounce Willys?

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
I have a JLU Willys Sport ordered and on the way…I’ve always heard the Willys name pronounced as Willeez but recently learned the correct pronunciation is actually Willis.
I’m curious, how do most of you say Jeep Willys? 🤔
Maybe to make life easier…I’ll just name mine Willis.
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you pronounce Willys? DF502C85-22A1-487D-A328-90B79251D542
Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
It is supposed to be pronounced Willis. That is how John North Willys pronounced his own name and the name if his company the Willys-Overland Company who made the original Jeeps. After the war many of the soldiers who didn’t know any better just pronounced it how it looked on the vehicle. This led to people assuming that the soldiers used them in the war so they should know. Chrysler tried to educate the public but finally just gave up stating that is just easier to say it wrong like most people do.

I will always say Willis.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2...ocal-Jeep-historian-says/stories/200202030021

Last edited:

BruceWillys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys Sport
I have a JLU Willys Sport ordered and on the way…I’ve always heard the Willys name pronounced as Willeez but recently learned the correct pronunciation is actually Willis.
I’m curious, how do most of you say Jeep Willys? 🤔
Maybe to make life easier…I’ll just name mine Willis.
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you pronounce Willys? DF502C85-22A1-487D-A328-90B79251D542
Congrats on your upcoming Willys.
I’ll admit growing up both my dad and grandfather referred to them as Willeez and it wasn’t till this forum I’d heard anything different.
The Willis pronunciation is correct but I’m curious how many current Willys owners have a clue…even Mr. Car Guy Jay Leno calls them Willeez.

BruceWillys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys Sport
https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2...ocal-Jeep-historian-says/stories/200202030021

This excerpt from your attached article sums it all up nicely:

“When we came out with the Willys [concept vehicle], we pronounced it `Willis,' like Bruce,” said Sjoerd Dijkstra, a Chrysler spokesman.

“We got a lot of flak, so we changed it to [sound like] `Willies,' even though John North Willys probably did pronounce it `Willis.' We use `Willies' now, the common way, so we don't have to explain how [the auto pioneer] pronounced it.”

John Conde, an auto historian in Bloomfield Hills, Mich. (and former Jeep public relation executive), said Mr. Willys “was probably the type who would say, `I don't care how you pronounce it as long as you buy my cars.'”

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
If I had a legacy I would want people to pronounce my name correctly so I give Mr Willys that same respect.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I've always pronounced it with the "Y" and I probably always will.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
So, I was getting a haircut while stationed overseas once, and this sweet little old Asian woman starts putting gel in my hair and teasing it up. I was like "whatcha doin?", she said "don't worry, you gonna look just like Bruce Harris, it gonna be great!". I was there racking my brain trying to think of who the F "Bruce Harris" is. When she was done she spun me around to the mirror and said "see, just like in Die Hard!". I can't see the name "Willis", without remembering that haircut.

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you pronounce Willys? diehard_header_1512064215

Last edited:

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
So, I was getting a haircut while stationed overseas once, and this sweet little old Asian woman starts putting gel in my hair and teasing it up. I was like "whatcha doin?", she said "don't worry, you gonna look just like Bruce Harris, it gonna be great!". I was there racking my brain trying to think of who the F "Bruce Harris" is. When she was done she spun me around to the mirror and said "see, just like in Die hard!". I can't see the name "Willis", without remembering that haircut.

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you pronounce Willys? diehard_header_1512064215
Hilarious definitely made me laugh this morning thanks!
Sponsored