How do you like your 392 Jeep!?!?!?

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
in the same boat. my dealer said they submitted my order, but they aren't sure whether Jeep will be able to find a similar build that's not tagged to a customer order, or whether they would need to grab a new production slot. the latter case will be more like 6-8 weeks. not sure whether that's accurate or not (I keep seeing rumblings of order delays and long waits on here, so it feels almost too good to be true - at least to me, as the only ordered cars I've ever bought were German and were always ~3 months).

Sponsored

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37ā€ KO2s
By feedback, do you mean negatives?

Most new owners are probably off enjoying theirs and arenā€™t on this forum telling random strangers how much they love their new $80k purchase.
This. As Iā€™ve said before, this thing is such an occasion to drive. Especially with the exhaust on. When something is this loud, has this much power, and leans this much in the corners, every drive is an occasion in a good way. Effortless power on the Highway and I havenā€™t even gotten it above 3k rpm. Again, experience is very similar to my previous 16ā€™ G63 which I enjoyed very much.

Little tidbits off the top of my head others my not have noted previously.

-Shifter has a manual mod selected by clicking the shifter closer to driver side from ā€œdriveā€ position. You can then manual shift, towards you is an up shift, away is a downshift, like a race car! Neat feature

-both shifter knobs have same black/sparkle paint as dash, nice touch.

-Paddle shifters are only half of what youā€™d expect a full paddle to be. Ei: only your pointer and index finger fit. lower portion where youā€™d expect a full paddle to extend down to is the same volume/song selector buttons as standard Wrangler.

-Cold start up is always loud, regardless of exhaust mode button selected or not. Itā€™s seriously loud, worry about waking up my sleeping baby inside the house and my enclosed garage is separate, about 20 feet, from my house.

-itā€™s so loud I find myself driving it most often on ā€œquite modeā€ as it makes it harder to speak on speaker phone/listen to radio/ect.

-Only real negative is I find the seat headrest to be slanted to far forward (my first JL). Had to put a seat ventilation cover with an added piece of foam behind the back portion to bring the backrest far enough forward to bring seat back in vertical alignment with headrest to be comfortable for me. Worked well.

If I think of any other little bits not mentioned yet, will add.

Will be doing my build thread by Monday. Lift/wheels/tires/diff covers/debadging/interior mods will all be done by then.

Last edited:

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
This. As Iā€™ve said before, this thing is such an occasion to drive. Especially with the exhaust on. When something is this loud, has this much power, and leans this much in the corners, every drive is an occasion in a good way. Effortless power on the Highway and I havenā€™t even gotten it above 3k rpm. Again, experience is very similar to my previous 16ā€™ G63 which I enjoyed very much.

-Shifter has a manual mod selected by clicking the shifter closer to driver side from ā€œdriveā€ position. You can then manual shift, towards you is an up shift, away is a downshift, like a race car! Neat feature

-Paddle shifters are only half of what youā€™d expect a full paddle to be. Ei: only your pointer and index finger fit. lower portion where youā€™d expect a full paddle to extend down to is the same volume/song selector buttons as standard Wrangler.

-Cold start up is always loud, regardless of exhaust mode button selected or not. Itā€™s seriously loud, worry about waking up my sleeping baby inside the house and my enclosed garage is separate, about 20 feet, from my house.

-itā€™s so loud I find myself driving it most often on ā€œquite modeā€ as it makes it harder to speak on speaker phone/listen to radio/ect.

-Only real negative is I find the seat headrest to be slanted to far forward (my first JL). Had to put a seat ventilation cover with an added piece of foam behind the back portion to bring the backrest far enough forward to bring seat back in vertical alignment with headrest to be comfortable for me. Worked well.

Will be doing my build thread by Monday. Lift/wheels/tires/diff covers/debadging/interior mods will all be done by then.
I see comments about slanted forward head rests all the time on new cars now. Seems most car manufacturers design it this way for whiplash protection.

I've seen folks remove the head rests and bend the steel rods to get a comfortable angle so it isn't constantly hitting them in the back of the head. I like Ford's solution; a ratcheting hearest.

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC

Love this feedback, I canā€™t wait to get mine! I was considering some sort of aftermarket exhaust to amplify the V8, but sounds (literally) like that is not needed! I love cold starts in my supercharged Range Rover and canā€™t imagine this is louder, but fingers crossed it is. Good luck with the Jeep and keep the feedback coming!

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Thanks for all the feedback. For the exhaust, I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't have a quiet "start up" mode, since an early morning start would probably be the only time I would even use the feature. (I'm one of those rare people that actually likes my neighbors. šŸ˜„ )

Sponsored

Deleted member 67726

Best jeep ever built, I just wish dealerships didn't exist and the price point was like 10k lower...but no matter what it's worth it for the engine, exhaust, and those paddle shifters in my opinion...I've barely driven it in anything other than performance exhaust mode on and paddle shifters, usually trying to be loud and fast and wait to shift until 4-5 rpms...lots of highway driving on it to the obx 4x4 Beach section, which it owned of course...thats all I can really think of, I guess I would agree the oil pan sits a little dangerously low on it, but damn that engine...if you don't drive it in manual transmission mode, u r missing out on so much of the fun, especially just downshifting and hearing the engine and exhaust downshift with it! Damn!

I have 1800 miles on mine already, and doing the first oil change in a few months yet...I hope everyone gets a 392, I just hope I can buy another one used or something in like 5-7 yrs lol

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Every time I drive it the word effortless comes to mind. So easy to drive, never have to worry if I have enough power to pass or enter traffic, etc.

As someone else said, driving it is a sense of occasion. Every time is special. Sounds so nice.

The power at highway speeds is surprising. At 60, it pulls like a freight train. Never had a vehicle with this level of pull.

Gets lots of attention from those who know what it is, but for those who don't know, they ignore it and think it's just any other Jeep.

A few key cons from my side (most of these are easy enough to reconcile, but I shouldn't have to):
- Not enough up travel, constantly hitting the bump stops - should have come with Mojave bumps
- Leather seats (leather is hot, would have liked to have a cloth option)
- Should have come with 35s
- Door removal connectors are a PITA

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Pros:
Feels like the 392 has a tighter turning radius? (Based on U-turns šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø)

Seats also seem slightly wider and more supportive ?

Performance exhaust sound.

Itā€™s a blast to drive and is surprisingly quick. Definitely feels more planted on road.

Cons:
Still has cheap plastic panels that scuff too easily.

Performance exhaust sound.

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
Took delivery three days ago. Just barely getting past break-in and it's amazing.

Turning radius actually feels slightly worse to me, though mostly it feels like it binds a little when you're moving slowly (nothing bad, I'm assuming it's from the engine weight).

Steering feels vastly improved and tighter, especially at speed, though I never had the steering box replaced on my 3.6 since it was perfectly fine.

Definitely seconded on bumpstop/uptravel too. Seems like they should have gone with an even higher spring rate to account for the weight.

Leather seats look a little more greyish than my 2020 ones were, and do feel higher quality.

Attention level is through the roof, I've haven't seen another one around here yet.
Sponsored