Sponsored

How do you keep steel bumpers looking shiny?

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I have an ARB bumper that came with very nice deep black lightly textured paint. While installing I noticed in the instructions it stated to apply carnauba wax every six months to protect the paint. I washed and dried the bumper twice before I got around to waxing it and it kept the nice finish. The problem is when I waxed it it's almost as if the wax is inside the pores of the bumper and now it just looks faded as hell. It went from looking nice and new to looking five years old instantly. I tried washing with dish soap but it didn't do anything. Does anybody have any ideas on how to either remove the wax, or apply something that will give it a good finish so it doesn't look so crappy?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WalkingJL

You need to get the Carnuba off! Apply a decent coating of Dawn dishing washing soap (straight out of the bottle with a little bit of water added) and after a few minutes, take a wet wash cloth and scrub the heck out of it. The Dawn will cut through the Carnuba. May take a couple of times doing this.

On the Jeep, the exterior black plastic and your bumper, etc. don't use anything with Carnuba. Carnuba is what is giving you the white crapola.

I have found that Turtle Wax Ice Spray works great on the JL's hardtop, black plastics and even on my Ace Sliders. You can use it anywhere on the JL.... even right on the exterior window glass . Sprays on and you just clean it off with a towel. The stuff never gives you that white residue. The stuff lasts for many weeks. NO white residue when applied or or time..

Hint: If you use this stuff on your fender liners, it keeps stuff from sticking there. Makes for easy clean up of fender liners. You can even spray a tad on the tires and wipe and it makes the tires look great but not frucked up looking like tire dressings leave the tires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KTINWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you keep steel bumpers looking shiny? 716QE8vUWNL._AC_SL1500_

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another product that works great on Metal Bumpers, Sliders, and such is a product call Pig Spit.

This stuff is a longtime favorite of older Harley Guys. Anyway, you clean the item, dry it and then spray on Pig Spit. Leave it sit for a few minutes and buff with a clean towel. IF you prefer a shiney look, spray on Pig Spit and just let it dry without buffing.

https://www.amazon.com/Pig-Spit-PSO...3&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you keep steel bumpers looking shiny?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@Rhinebeck01 so glad to see you back and helping all that need it, always great advice, now gotta go get some ICE!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 so glad to see you back and helping all that need it, always great advice, now gotta go get some ICE!
@blnewt
Thanks for the pos comment.

By the way, ICE more recently, came out with a new ICE. They say it lasts a tad longer. I have used and it applies pretty much the same, can apply to everything just like the Ice , I mentioned here earlier. SO, if you want a longer lasting ICE buy the one at the link below. It is a tad ... slight tad more work buffing it after application but not bad at all. I prefer the one I mentioned first though..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NW9X6BX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you keep steel bumpers looking shiny? 81XafTUrdtL._AC_SL1500_

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I use a product called fluid film, its actually an Anti rust coating. You can undercoat your rig with it. I spray some on a rag and then apply to bumpers(i have the steel bumpers) the rock rails .. the inner wheel wells, you can use it on anything you want to protect and waterproof. It is a lanolin base. I do my rig every 3 or 4 months and all the metal/steel parts on my Jeep look factory new. And yes I undercoat my jeep in the fall with it. I live in New England and we get lots of the white stuff(salt). And oh yeah snow too!

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have the rubicon steel bumper and I spray and wipe with the same spray sealant I use on the paint.

wax is pretty old school and nothing wrong with it. My understanding is liquid sealants are the modern way to go and much easier on / off application.

there’s got to be hundreds of different types, but I use P&S bead maker.

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Another product that works great on Metal Bumpers, Sliders, and such is a product call Pig Spit.

This stuff is a longtime favorite of older Harley Guys. Anyway, you clean the item, dry it and then spray on Pig Spit. Leave it sit for a few minutes and buff with a clean towel. IF you prefer a shiney look, spray on Pig Spit and just let it dry without buffing.

https://www.amazon.com/Pig-Spit-PSO...3&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you keep steel bumpers looking shiny? 81XafTUrdtL._AC_SL1500_
this stuff works well on any powdercoat? LOD bumper coming soon and want something to clean it right.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this stuff works well on any powdercoat? LOD bumper coming soon and want something to clean it right.
The products I mentioned are not cleaners. They are brightners, protectors... Try the Ice Spray Wax on your clean LOD bumper. Yes, Pig Spit is a good brightner and such but try the Ice Spray Wax first. Use Ice Spray Wax on your bumper, black hardtop, black plastic, rims......

If you try Pig Spit, use that for just the clean bumper.

Sponsored

Icon

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Wrangler
I have an ARB bumper that came with very nice deep black lightly textured paint. While installing I noticed in the instructions it stated to apply carnauba wax every six months to protect the paint. I washed and dried the bumper twice before I got around to waxing it and it kept the nice finish. The problem is when I waxed it it's almost as if the wax is inside the pores of the bumper and now it just looks faded as hell. It went from looking nice and new to looking five years old instantly. I tried washing with dish soap but it didn't do anything. Does anybody have any ideas on how to either remove the wax, or apply something that will give it a good finish so it doesn't look so crappy?
I have the same issue with arb bumper and carnauba wax. Were you able to resolve it? If so how

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
By the way, ICE more recently, came out with a new ICE. They say it lasts a tad longer. I have used and it applies pretty much the same, can apply to everything just like the Ice , I mentioned here earlier. SO, if you want a longer lasting ICE buy the one at the link below. It is a tad ... slight tad more work buffing it after application but not bad at all. I prefer the one I mentioned first though..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NW9X6BX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you think their new Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray would be a good choice for the factory steel bumpers without leaving a white waxy coating?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYPS3PS/

I'm trying to simplify and narrow down my cleaning regimen to just a hand-applied cleaner wax for the paint and then 2 coats of a spray wax/sealant on top and for everything else, maybe with some 303 Aerospace protectant for the plastics.

From what I've read, the new Hybrid Solutions is just an improved version of their ICE Seal N Shine line-up and both products still contain some natural carnauba waxes. 303 recommended against using their products for powdercoats for some reason.
Sponsored