Sponsored

How do you guys clean your jeep? Way more difficult than I would have assumed.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I just drive mine through a touchless car wash and call it good. The nice thing about Stingray is that it looks pretty much the same, whether it is clean or dirty
Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I start on the inside. Remove the rubber mats, wash them and wipe them with Armourall. Put them aside to dry.

I have a Bestop sunrider on my 2 door so I open this to let light in.

Clean all around the frame and clean behind the sun visors

Grab my leaf blower.
Push the seats all the way forward and blow under the seats.
Push the seats all the way back and blow under them again.
Use the blower to get dust out of my floor based sub woofer.

Use a soft bristled paint brush to brush the dust away around the steering wheel and the dash.

Use my special Jeep vacuum (which I keep in the garage to my wife will not touch it) and vacuum internally. Now close the soft top and vacuum the ceiling as dust sticks to the ceiling of the Bestop sunrider.

Use a damp cloth to wipe all the hard surfaces. Use Armourall on all the plastic/ rubber surfaces.

Open every door and clean around the door frames.

Open the tailgate and the tailgate window and clean all around the frame and for those fiddly rubber bits I use a new clean soft toothbrush and water.

Open the hood and fill the windscreen wiper water container.

Lay the hood back on the windscreen and clean the underside of the hood. (I donā€™t clean inside the actual engine bay as I donā€™t want to damage anything.)

Close the hood and clean the outside of your Jeep.

I start by cleaning the rock sliders the wheels and wheel wells. And I use the toothbrush to clean around the tail lights.

I then use a bucket of soapy water and use a hose to rinse. I start with the windscreen, then the hood then the front and go around the passenger side and work around and finish with the driverā€™s door.

As I do each sector, I dry it straight away with a super absorbent cloth so the water does not dry on the surface.

Then I gently hose the wheels to get final dirt off them. Be careful not to splash water ono the dries parts.

Finally, I use Armourall on all the black plastic external surfaces, including the wiper nozzles.

Viola! I am finished.

I then put my Jeep in the garage and hose the driveway (happy wife happy life!)

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I normally just run through the car wash. When it was new and I actually cared how it looked, I used the two bucket method and a clay bar to get the bits off that didnt come in the wash. I applied wax every 2 months.
Now though.. as long as it looks kinda clean, good enough.

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I donā€™t wash any of my other vehicles, they go through the Costco wash and are detailed every other month. I do hand wash my Jeep regularly because I like to.

I had it ceramic coated which makes it a breeze. Pressure washer, foam cannon with pH neutral soap, quick microfiber sponge off, and dry with a drying agent (I use Opti-seal) and itā€™s done. The drying agent helps preserve the ceramic coating. Takes about 30 minutes even after hitting the trails.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
I don't wash my vehicles anymore as part of a routine. I even skip the free washes my dealers offered.

I just let mother nature do her thing when a heavy rain storm comes through.

Maybe I'm just lazy or I just don't care for that showroom shine look...maybe both šŸ˜†

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I make sure to give my Jeep a thorough wash, wax and detail every six months.

The weather gets gloomy, wet and cold here for a good six months of the year. During those six months I will wash the Jeep if the weather permits, but I wonā€™t worry too much about it. I know that it will get a thorough cleaning on the start of spring and at the end of fall, and thatā€™s my chance to bring it back to its original state.

My Jeep two weeks ago, after getting a good wash, wax and interior detail ahead of winter
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. _DSC0002.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. _DSC0003.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. _DSC0006.JPG

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
I do own a pressure washer (didn't even think of that). It's a 3600 psi though, but it has different pressure nozzles. Lowest one may work, hmm. The first pic of your jeep is about what mine looked like when I got home Sunday.
Go by a 2000psi electric version. 3600 psi even with other nozzles can be too much. BTW, you'll thank yourself for trying one as my gas one sets in the shed most of the year.

Last edited:

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Others have already said it, but a nice wax or ceramic coating will help.

I use a 2000psi pressure washer, a foam Cannon with chemical guys watermelon, and a wash mit. Rinse it off, foam cover it, scrub what is tough, rinse, and dry. I even use a leaf blower and with the ceramic the water just blows away.

Don't use dawn dishwashing soap, it will take off ANY protection layer you have any you would immediately need to rewax it!
This is exactly my routine and works like a charm. If you do the work up front, cleaning gets a lot easier down the road.

My dad had me washing his truck every weekend with Dawn - and waxing it. He didn't know it stripped the wax off...or maybe he did :) That simoniz wax made my arms feel like noodles. Needless to say I've never touched the stuff as an adult, Dawn or simoniz :)

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I hand wash my Jeep using a bug sponge and, if the vehicle is really dirty, Dawn dishwashing liquid. This proven combination cuts through the build-up of film, insects, etc. that can accrue between washings. It also allows me to apply as much or as little pressure as I believe the job requires.

I've a soft top Wrangler, so I don't use pay car washes.

Dawn will also cut through polish, so having a spray formula on hand will make it easier to replace what you just stripped off.
Dawn eats car wax, but you probable know that.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
After a trail ride, I've always done car wash self wash or pressure washer, then hand wash. Make sure to get all the undercarriage, etc. Occasionally I'll do a touch free Car wash w/ soft top (like when we get back from beach vacations). If the hard top is on and it's too cold to hand wash I'll do a fast spray first to get all the shit off of it and then I'll run it through the regular car wash.

I just try try to keep the mud and road salt off of it as much as possible.

SBLACK502

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Get a snow foam cannon and use with pressure washer and pre wash the Jeep and let the soap break up the dirt. That is the only way I wash mine

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Iā€™ve washed mine a couple times, power washer and some zymol car wash. I use zymol wax too. Itā€™s expensive but I use it on my challenger so whatever. Works so well and wonā€™t leave any white residue. Honestly Jeeps look better dirty though.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
After 4 years, Iā€™ve learned a couple things, one, (and Iā€™m not proud of this) but itā€™s ok to ride hard and put up wet once in awhileā€¦ā€¦
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. 5CCA92FA-5C89-4F43-8AD1-01B202B0A25A

And two, you learn how to wheel it without getting it muddyā€¦ā€¦.šŸ˜‚
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. B0ABF754-FC3B-4785-A87F-06FFD970C1EF

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I'm gonna be honest, I've owned a lot of nice/expensive cars in my life and no matter how nice they were I wasn't willing to spend 90 minutes washing them, or even 60 minutes, or even 45. If it takes more than 30 I'm headed to a full touch car wash to let it do the work lol. We have a nice one down the street I've been using for half a decade and it always works great, though I've never tried it on a mud covered jeep.

I'll give the pressure wash a go, may need to pressure wash to get off all the mud and then drive through the car wash to get everything fully clean. I just hate washing vehicles, so anything longer than 20-25 minutes is more than I'm willing to spend doing it lol.
I was like this too before starting working in a Body Shop and becoming friends with the Detailer. Since Ive started here my Wife's car has never been cleaner and it doesnt really take that much time with a proper setup.

After a trip in the Jeep it'll be:

Drag the pressure washer out and spray off all the surface mud and undercarriage.

Foam the whole thing with some Tough Mudder and Wash/Wax mix and let it sit to break up the mud.

Pressure wash it all off again and blow it dry with a leaf blower.

After that Ill bring it to work Monday/Tuesday and do a deeper clean on it with just the wash/wax and a microfiber mitt if it really needs it.

I also have some detail spray wax that Ill apply every other week as well to help the mud/dirt from sticking too bad.
Sponsored