Sponsored

How do you guys clean your jeep? Way more difficult than I would have assumed.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I use a 2 gallon per minute pressure washer at 1000psi. YMMV but I prefer high water flow rate to high psi.

Pressure wash the undercarriage/axles/fender wells/wheels/etc. first. Then I start at the top and rinse the exterior of the Jeep. This might take more than one pass. Next I hook up my foam cannon to the pressure washer and coat the entire Jeep. Then I hand wash it with microfiber towels and I rinse it again with the pressure washer top to bottom. Works very well for me.
Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
First stop is a touchless power wash to start the process of breaking up the mud and dirt. For $5, it's way easier than busting out my power washer. It also has a good undercarriage blaster.

Then begins an approximately 90-minute long process. Two buckets. Foam blaster. A quality wash (I like Tough Mudder from Chemical Guys). Multiple mitts. And lots and lots of foam and water throughout.

I dry with two quality microfiber towels.

There's a lot more to detailing, but that's the basic routine.

A quality wax or ceramic on the paint helps a ton.

For the plastic, you'll want to pre-treat it if possible with a protectant. Again, I like Chemical Guys. Their VRP protectant does a great job.

OP
OP
crackofdawn

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I'm gonna be honest, I've owned a lot of nice/expensive cars in my life and no matter how nice they were I wasn't willing to spend 90 minutes washing them, or even 60 minutes, or even 45. If it takes more than 30 I'm headed to a full touch car wash to let it do the work lol. We have a nice one down the street I've been using for half a decade and it always works great, though I've never tried it on a mud covered jeep.

I'll give the pressure wash a go, may need to pressure wash to get off all the mud and then drive through the car wash to get everything fully clean. I just hate washing vehicles, so anything longer than 20-25 minutes is more than I'm willing to spend doing it lol.

Sponsored

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I just take it to a spray booth once a month and do the best I can. Then after about 3mo I take to a full service car wash and get their wax service. Rinse repeat until I hit 1yr and have it detailed. Still looks great almost 3yrs later!

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. 20221030_165319

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. 20221030_165224

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I do own a pressure washer (didn't even think of that). It's a 3600 psi though, but it has different pressure nozzles. Lowest one may work, hmm. The first pic of your jeep is about what mine looked like when I got home Sunday.
Yeah, when I first got it, I did the whole gamut, foam cannon, mitts, soaps, cleaners, etc….. hell, I had to use a wagon to tote all my shit out 🤣 ….. then I found that I could get it just as clean in a third of the time, and since I have to wash it once a week because it’s mud most of the time around here, it was like…😲.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
I'm gonna be honest, I've owned a lot of nice/expensive cars in my life and no matter how nice they were I wasn't willing to spend 90 minutes washing them, or even 60 minutes, or even 45. If it takes more than 30 I'm headed to a full touch car wash to let it do the work lol. We have a nice one down the street I've been using for half a decade and it always works great, though I've never tried it on a mud covered jeep.

I'll give the pressure wash a go, may need to pressure wash to get off all the mud and then drive through the car wash to get everything fully clean. I just hate washing vehicles, so anything longer than 20-25 minutes is more than I'm willing to spend doing it lol.
get it detailed one time realllllllly good - wash, compound ,wax ,then ceramic coat
the ceramic coating will help allloooot . i pressure wash mine and it really slides off so easy compared to not having the coating

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The best way I found, at least for me, is I use a 2000 psi electric power washer….. it’s powerful enough to get the mud off, but not to powerful that it harms the finish….I also have a pistol type wand so I can spray the undercarriage…….

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. 20221030_165224

I don’t use any soap, and there’s no scrubbing etc.. just spray it off and dry it…. I use this after, and in between washes……

OMMV but this works for me….😎
Wow, someone else who doesn't use soap. I have been washing autos for years with wash mitt and running water hose. Water hose left hand mitt right hand. Most soaps will remove wax coat.

I have 10-year-old Dodge never been waxed and hand washed only (No soap) and paint shines like new still. Sure, there will be nay-sayers, but I know it works.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I'm gonna be honest, I've owned a lot of nice/expensive cars in my life and no matter how nice they were I wasn't willing to spend 90 minutes washing them, or even 60 minutes, or even 45.
I respect anyone who has the time and energy to do an extensive cleaning. Even in the past where I've had a nice car I didn't do that much cleaning. When I was growing up and working in my father's shop he would occasionally complain to me that I wasn't proud enough of my car to keep it clean. I have a relatively plain Jeep and I don't consider it a show car so I don't intend to do extensive detailing of it but I do try to keep it relatively clean which takes me around 30 minutes.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Time is just time. I detail my daughters auto once a month for free. She sits and talks, and I get to spend few hours listening. My neighbor gets discount. I charge him $75. 😎

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
1. I don’t.

2. When I do it’s with a bucket and sponge or wash rash. Or maybe a drive through car wash.

3. Move on with my life because my time is too valuable to me to worry about how I wash my jeep.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
wondering what type of soap you are using. also wondering if you've ever washed a vehicle before (no judgement). My first job in highschool I was a lot tech cleaning cars at a dealer. My advice is just get in the habit of hand washing your jeep. you'll get it down to a science/method. my hot rod back in my 20s, I could have washed and waxed ready for the cruise in 30-45mins. Keep at it and keep trying different methods and products and you'll find what works for you.

EDIT: also you should see my f150, It's washed once a year, and we take it everywhere and offroad it etc. it's thrashed and that's ok too.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Time is just time. I detail my daughters auto once a month for free. She sits and talks, and I get to spend few hours listening. My neighbor gets discount. I charge him $75. 😎
that's rad I hope to do that with my daughter some day