Sponsored

How do you guys clean your jeep? Way more difficult than I would have assumed.

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Hey everyone. First jeep, and first time washing it today as I've had it about 3 weeks and took it off roading last weekend. Nothing major just some gravel roads that were wet with some small puddles, but left streaks of mud up the sides of the jeep, all over the fenders, etc.

The first thing I did was hose the whole thing down the day after I got back. That got the chunks off but left lots of sand/streaks still on the jeep. Today I actually washed the jeep, soap, water, sponge, etc. I went over the entire jeep and after rinsing all the soap off there was still tons of sand and streaks all over places I already washed with the sponge. Did the whole thing again, still stuff leftover, some on the paint, lots more on the plastic on the fender flares and the rock sliders/etc. I then used a damp rag and tried to scrub a little harder on all of the black plastic and rock sliders and even after going over everything 3 more times I really couldn't get it truly clean. What a nightmare.

There has to be something I'm missing or some easier way, otherwise I guess I'll just go back to drive through full-touch carwashes as I'm definitely not willing to put this much effort into a simple vehicle wash every time lol.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone. First jeep, and first time washing it today as I've had it about 3 weeks and took it off roading last weekend. Nothing major just some gravel roads that were wet with some small puddles, but left streaks of mud up the sides of the jeep, all over the fenders, etc.

The first thing I did was hose the whole thing down the day after I got back. That got the chunks off but left lots of sand/streaks still on the jeep. Today I actually washed the jeep, soap, water, sponge, etc. I went over the entire jeep and after rinsing all the soap off there was still tons of sand and streaks all over places I already washed with the sponge. Did the whole thing again, still stuff leftover, some on the paint, lots more on the plastic on the fender flares and the rock sliders/etc. I then used a damp rag and tried to scrub a little harder on all of the black plastic and rock sliders and even after going over everything 3 more times I really couldn't get it truly clean. What a nightmare.

There has to be something I'm missing or some easier way, otherwise I guess I'll just go back to drive through full-touch carwashes as I'm definitely not willing to put this much effort into a simple vehicle wash every time lol.
The best way I found, at least for me, is I use a 2000 psi electric power washer….. it’s powerful enough to get the mud off, but not to powerful that it harms the finish….I also have a pistol type wand so I can spray the undercarriage…….

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. 49B6FE5F-ABCB-49C4-A374-4F11EDBF975B

I don’t use any soap, and there’s no scrubbing etc.. just spray it off and dry it…. I use this after, and in between washes……

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. BBB86241-F00A-4044-A0E0-58ED76F59B6C

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you guys clean your jeep?  Way more difficult than I would have assumed. BB299B6B-EE5E-40CC-8284-DA46D6548293

OMMV but this works for me….😎

OP
OP
crackofdawn

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I do own a pressure washer (didn't even think of that). It's a 3600 psi though, but it has different pressure nozzles. Lowest one may work, hmm. The first pic of your jeep is about what mine looked like when I got home Sunday.

40Caliber

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Rubicon
I do own a pressure washer (didn't even think of that). It's a 3600 psi though, but it has different pressure nozzles. Lowest one may work, hmm. The first pic of your jeep is about what mine looked like when I got home Sunday.
Just hit it from a distance if you are overly concerned. it will weaken the spray. I use the drive in car wash with the power hose from time to time. it's great to get at the bottom when you are away.

it's good for cleaning the undercarriage

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I hand wash my Jeep using a bug sponge and, if the vehicle is really dirty, Dawn dishwashing liquid. This proven combination cuts through the build-up of film, insects, etc. that can accrue between washings. It also allows me to apply as much or as little pressure as I believe the job requires.

I've a soft top Wrangler, so I don't use pay car washes.

Dawn will also cut through polish, so having a spray formula on hand will make it easier to replace what you just stripped off.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Same on electric pressure washers, gets in all the little gaps Jeeps have... and a good coat of sealant/wax helps prevent dirt from sticking. Also if you use a pressure washer you can get one of those foam cannon kits (Griots has a nice 3 solution version) that includes a spot remover, wash soap and finishing wax coat that can all be used. Granted this is probably more sportscar oriented but... already had it and it works well on the jeeps.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You may be stained on black plastic if you have it. It won’t matter how much you wash it, gonna have to use something to get the oil back in.

A microfiber mitt with the two bucket should get the painted flat surfaces, though.

Sponsored

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Others have already said it, but a nice wax or ceramic coating will help.

I use a 2000psi pressure washer, a foam Cannon with chemical guys watermelon, and a wash mit. Rinse it off, foam cover it, scrub what is tough, rinse, and dry. I even use a leaf blower and with the ceramic the water just blows away.

Don't use dawn dishwashing soap, it will take off ANY protection layer you have any you would immediately need to rewax it!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Also, you can spot (or total) clean with detailer or waterless wash. Especially when your down to residue.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Don't use dawn dishwashing soap, it will take off ANY protection layer you have any you would immediately need to rewax it!
Thank Heaven for the timely reminder! :LOL:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I use a bucket of soapy water, a rag, and a spray nozzle on my normal garden hose. With the spray nozzle set to "jet" I can easily get the mud off. I did put a coat of wax no the paint but I'm sure it is time to do that again.
Sponsored