How do you get your dog into the Jeep

WazSupDog

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Orange JL Sahara
It is an actual product, it’s a pet seat belt like the attached pic. It came with the hammock car seat cover when I bought it years ago and it’s been great. I also attach it to his harness instead of his collar in case something were to happen... at least he wouldn’t get yanked by his neck.

F65D6BE7-9512-4D29-841A-D5AA171622E8.jpeg
Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored

Bearkat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What did you use around the roll bar that you connect the tether to? Also have a Doodle that I plan on doing a lot of Jeeping with!
This is what I used. $25 total investment

Homedepot $4.97 -
Husky 18 in. Zinc-Plated Steel Hang-All link <--
zinc-clasp-black-strap-husky-pegboards-accessories-36277-64_1000.jpg

Amazon $14.98
Leash Boss Dog Car Seat Belt Restraint - 26 inch link <--
61%2Bw72%2B1PpL._SX679_.jpg

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
With my other dog we used a ramp, took a lot of room. For this dog, Boxer / Pit I use this

step.jpg
collapsible step stool, good for the side and for the back.

DAVESJEEP

First Name
Dave!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTUR (Ordered), 2018 Porsche GT3
37560358-C375-4CEF-8B54-C5BB19D2A0BD.jpeg 5C1813B5-5BDB-4B31-A81B-D1AEAF7860F4.jpeg
Thanks! I might try that too. I bought the Kurgo system and attached it to the Drings in the back. Not sure if I’ll like it long term. My dog got a little tangled up a few times. I’m not sure if that’s because it’s new to her or not. I feel like attaching the tether above her might eliminate that.

This is what I used. $25 total investment

Homedepot $4.97 -
Husky 18 in. Zinc-Plated Steel Hang-All link <--

Amazon $14.98
Leash Boss Dog Car Seat Belt Restraint - 26 inch link <--

Sponsored

Bearkat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I might try that too. I bought the Kurgo system and attached it to the Drings in the back. Not sure if I’ll like it long term. My dog got a little tangled up a few times. I’m not sure if that’s because it’s new to her or not. I feel like attaching the tether above her might eliminate that.
What I like about my system is that it attaches above them and to a harness which prevents them from getting tangled up and is safer in a wreck. Being attached to a harness keeps the pressure of a wreck around their chest and not on their neck. Also, I measured the cable and it prevents them from being able to exit the Jeep from the rear doors or the back and it is long enough to allow them to be able to lay down and be comfortable. It is also chew proof so they will not be able to free themselves. For $25 total investment (not including a harness), it is as cheap if not cheaper than many other options.

Here is the harness we use. $39.95
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N21WGAN/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
It is an actual product, it’s a pet seat belt like the attached pic. It came with the hammock car seat cover when I bought it years ago and it’s been great. I also attach it to his harness instead of his collar in case something were to happen... at least he wouldn’t get yanked by his neck.

F65D6BE7-9512-4D29-841A-D5AA171622E8.jpeg
I actually bought a harness and seatbelt set myself after I ordered my jeep. I knew that I would want to keep them in the Jeep if we drove around topless. So now I know I want a ramp to get them in the jeep, but now I need seat cover for the back because they like to shead EVEYWHERE (apparently Shepard's and Heelers do that) and I'll need one for the passenger seat because that is how they are going to get in. I gots me a 2 door and if they won't jump then ramp it up I say!

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Open the rear hatch, and Moose jumps in. Have to watch him carefully cause he’ll jump before the glass is up if your not paying attention.

A16670AD-24A6-418D-9E6A-A0EC55115DE5.jpeg

Sponsored

drewloving

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
My 7 year old Boston is getting used to riding with no doors...I have to pick her up though...our 12 week old Frenchie is not quite ready I think....
dog1.jpg
dog2.jpg

kstjarre

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLU Sport S, 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
I usually just open up the back gate and window and my aussie jumps right in. Occasionally he will just put his paws up and i will have to lift his rear if its been a long walk or he is tired from the park. He loves the back window open so ill usually leave that open.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I pick her up and put her in but I could make it easier for her if I would park along side a curb

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Its a pretty high jump into the back seat for my dog, higher than my old 4x4. She can make it but its not a pleasant site and she does not like it. What do others do?? Ramp of some sort?? Is there an available product?

Also.. She loves putting her paws on the center console and standing at attention. The leather in the console is going to suffer. I have a cloth over it but that does not stay on. Any covers for this??
Looks like the 2nd post link to Amazon has some great options for you! If you don’t want anything permanent for the arm rest I’d just throw an old cleaning rag in the console and put it on top of the arm rest when the puppy goes along for the ride. For me, i have a cat... she is old, but she’s still my princess. Now, getting her into the Wrangler... which is only for vet visits... that on the other hand has been solved through the magic of chemistry, gabapentin 100mg 2 hours prior to the car ride and no protesting, hissing, growling, hyperventilating, just one stoned @ss cat and everyone is happy.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
good stuff here, even if old.

our Dutch Shepard girls have always wanted to go anywhere or do anything.

mostly, they'd wait until i point in the rear door and then hop right in. (i generally have the back seats down; the back half of the J**p is Dog Land.)

when wandering, i have a set of Action Packers across the back behind the front seats. they'll still jump right in on top of those from ground level, though they might look at it a little more closely before they do. Dutch Girls are 65-75 lbs, but agile even well into their senior years.

for restraints and crash safety, i measured out a climbing 'runner' (basically nylon webbing sewn into a loop) that i clip onto the overhead grab handles above the rear doors with a couple of carabiners, and found a length of wire cable sized to reach from the runner to their harnesses when they're laying down. one attempt to get out of the J**p with that rig on is the last; after that, they wait to be hooked up and unhooked.
they sometimes like to stand with their heads between ours when we're moving, but generally just nap in the back until we're off the highway.

they're very smart and like to do the Right Thing, and know that getting into the Front Seat isn't allowed.
Sponsored

Last edited: