How do you get your dog into the Jeep

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
My baby girl just jumps in. Open the tailgate and she jumps right in.she can jump in the back of my truck too,but take her out won't let her jump down from the truck.
20180521_103709.jpg
t
Sponsored

Bearkat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
When our Dane was still with us, he would love it in the back cargo area. We would leave everything open and he’d stand up and look over the roll bar. He was about 185lbs and such a good dog. Our current Newfie rides in the back but he doesn’t seem to enjoy the open air as much, so he just lays down most of the time. He just jumps right up though with no problem. They say they have weak hips but this guy doesn’t seem to mind jumping up and down. He’s about 140lbs so he’s on the smaller side of Newfie’s.

1F47C15D-A47B-4BAB-BE3F-F9F3FDAFF59A.jpeg

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I used to just lift our newfies but up into the Tacoma. And lift him (controlled fall) out he was 150 and had elbow problems. he has since passed. but withmyother 2 a 110 lb golden mix with godzilla and my bernese I have them step on the side steps and step down. I just have o find side steps that won't trap their feet.

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have an 8 year old lab that seems to only be abl to jump in to the back if I get her really excited. I have to "pump" her up with a "ride" or a "treat" when we get home. Otherwise she just runs up to the jeep, acts like she will jump but then puts her front paws all over everything. I have debated getting an agility trainer to give her the confidence she needs to jump in. She jumps in to the Bronco (which has a 4" lift on it) just fine. However, I've noticed the Bronco has a bigger area to put feet when getting in. That is the only difference I can see. I am also looking at some of the good options posted here as I see I'm not the only one plagued with a dog that wont jump.

Can you post a video of you "pumping" up your lab to get her in the Jeep? I have a strange image in my head of DJ spinning tracks and group of people circling your dog amping her up for the big jump.....

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
sometimes my bernese will do the same thing she gets crazy excited and runs around the jeep. Then acting liking she is 6 weeks instead of 6 years sprawls her front legs out and barks at me then around the jeep barking finally she makes a sharp turn and heads for the door. leaps in easy .

WazSupDog

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Orange JL Sahara
My dog wouldn’t want to wait around for a ramp. He runs out of the house and jumps into the back.

Do y’all normally put your dogs in the backseat? My dog is tethered to the rear seatbelt but he gets the back area to himself. Usually the back window stays open for him.... I really enjoy not having him pant in my left ear the entire drive.

What are you using to tether your dog to the rear seatbelt? Is it an actual product or are you just tying a leash to it?

Thanks!

DAVESJEEP

First Name
Dave!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTUR (Ordered), 2018 Porsche GT3
Our Golden just jumps right into the back seat area no problems with the 2" lift and 35s. Then he is hooked up to a tether I made via his harness.
33248994_10214383363612251_5725720670092918784_n.jpg
What did you use around the roll bar that you connect the tether to? Also have a Doodle that I plan on doing a lot of Jeeping with!

Sponsored

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
C05F6812-C09D-4EBB-86E4-8C90C0A5A0F2.jpeg
funny, just took my two boston terriers to the vet for first time today in the new 2 door.

they kinda looked at it, then just scaled and jumped right in without an issue. they’re pretty agile jumper dogs. my other rescue went bananas when i folded the soft top back and put down the windows - kinda strange getting used to keeping them on harness in the jeep

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
My dog is a complete puss, and smart. So he puts his feet on the bumper and I have to lift his feet. He’s a freakin Doberman. I tried telling him that his friends will laugh, and he just waits patiently for me to be a sucker and help him...

475ADA91-4597-4A13-9925-A573D9FC06C0.jpeg

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
What are you using to tether your dog to the rear seatbelt? Is it an actual product or are you just tying a leash to it?

Thanks!
It is an actual product, it’s a pet seat belt like the attached pic. It came with the hammock car seat cover when I bought it years ago and it’s been great. I also attach it to his harness instead of his collar in case something were to happen... at least he wouldn’t get yanked by his neck.

F65D6BE7-9512-4D29-841A-D5AA171622E8.jpeg

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
We have a 17 week old Newfie and got a Gen7Pets Feather-Lite Ramp. Newfies are huge and prone to hip problems, so he isn't allowed to jump. The ramp is 6 feet long and holds up to 250 lbs. (Dog will be 150-175lb fully grown.) We open the back hatch, put down the ramp, and walk him up or down it.
Well done! I’ve never succeeded at getting my newfs (3 in total) to use a ramp.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
I have a set of steps:

Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stairs, 2 Step for Cats/Dogs up to 150 Pounds, Portable, Removable Washable Carpet Tread https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SZS5JW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MQXiBbCYJCPMB

My old girl is a lab mix, around 75lbs and is pushing 13 and she's pretty spry for her age but she can't really jump anymore. She uses them to get in our camper as well. She sometimes skips them getting out but it's not always a graceful exit.
Sponsored