Sponsored

How do you balance being prepared vs being a tool?

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Yowser! Thanks! Guess I’ll retire my chain, and buy another strap. I suppose my use of the chain in conjunction with a strap makes breaking the chain a lot less likely, though.
Check the video I just posted.

That's also why some people prefer to use the synthetic winch lines as opposed to the steel lines.
Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Timely thread, I'm headed out to my first group trail ride at an offroad park this weekend. It's an "offroad 101" course, to teach the basics of offroading. Won't be too challenging, and again, at an offroad park so relatively controlled conditions.

Here's the stuff I am planning on bringing, interested to hear if there is anything I am missing. Notably, I don't have any recovery gear, so I wasn't planning on bringing that, huge error?

-shovel
-big ass rubber boots
-work gloves
-basic tools (wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, etc etc)
-cooler full of water and some sandwiches/snacks
-TP/baby wipes
-shop towels
-trash bags (good call upthread on this)
-small air compressor (hook to Jeep battery type)
-umbrella chair
-first aid kit

What else? Usually I'd bring a sawzall too in case of small trees down, etc, but I don't think it's necessary given it's a park.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Never fails. One of those that thinks you packed too much will need something that you brought.
This. It's all funny until you have something super obscure that can save some sap $5000 for a tow bill. Something as stupid as a temporary tire valve stem, to a leakstop radiator putty, to wrenches, to crescents, to vice grips to seal off a torn brake line, to sockets, etc. If you are going with others that you know, talk about it before hand so that each person brings different things so you dont have to double up and everyone carrying tons of weight of sockets, wrenches, etc. Obviously depends on terrain and where you are (ie 90 miles from the nearest human in Moab vs 1.2 miles from an autozone and a mobil in a private offroad park with wifi, full cell service, and a mcdonalds.)

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So how are you ever supposed to learn how to use anything new that you’ve never used before? Is it likely that EVERYONE in his group will all break down or get stuck at once, or will nobody give him a ride out if he’s disabled?
He is right. The trail isn't the place to learn, having said that, on a group run, chances are SOMEONE will know how to do something and can help, but again, depends on the group. Is it a group of newbies?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Check the video I just posted.

That's also why some people prefer to use the synthetic winch lines as opposed to the steel lines.
I did, and am grateful for it. Still, I’m comfortable using my chain, if need.
Those folks in the video needed to get a little bit muddy with a shovel.
I’m thinking 10 minutes with a shovel giving a bit of run for the tires out front, would have solved that problem without drama.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
A little off topic—I learned how to change a tire with a high-lift jack. What my grandpa & dad always used. (Wasn’t allowed to have a car until I could change a tire and oil.) First time I had to change a flat tire on my car I had the one that comes with your car. Ha.:LOL: That was hilarious. I looked at that. Then at my tire. Then back at at. Clueless. Luckily some guy had pity on the poor teenage girl and stopped and changed it for me. Didn’t even know high-lifts could be dangerous for years. Lol.
Are you married? If not, are you interested in being married? I think I’m falling in love ...
Just kidding....sorta.

Troutster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
I’m going on my first organized trail ride this weekend. I got my JL in late Jan. but have been reading this forum and other sources for almost a year trying to learn. I think I have all the tools and recovery gear covered (I have an absurd amount of tools and gear). I also just ordered some handheld CB gear with external antenna support (not quite ready to install a full CB). What other tips and tricks would you experts give for a noob? I have a Sahara with 2.5” lift + 315/70/17 tires.

I don’t want to show up looking like an ass but I don’t want to be unprepared, either.
Bring at least 2 gatorades, a granola bar, and some beef jerky... that’ll get you through anything! :giggle::muscle:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
He is right. The trail isn't the place to learn, having said that, on a group run, chances are SOMEONE will know how to do something and can help, but again, depends on the group. Is it a group of newbies?
Then where IS the place to learn in your opinion?

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then where IS the place to learn in your opinion?
Servicing your rig at home for starters. You're not going to be able to change out a u joint or an axle shaft if the first time you ever touched that area is in the middle of a canyon without cell service.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
So how are you ever supposed to learn how to use anything new that you’ve never used before? Is it likely that EVERYONE in his group will all break down or get stuck at once, or will nobody give him a ride out if he’s disabled?
If you only carry things you know how to use, you will see others using things with which you are unfamiliar. If you like them, you can buy them, and will already know how to use them.
See how easy that is?
And no, none of those scenarios you describe are likely.
You come from a different perspective than I do, I reckon.
I may need help, but I will never PLAN to need help. I plan to take care of my own business.
A city boy/country boy thing, I reckon.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
You can't be too prepared. Hell I have an AR with 500 rounds of ammo in my JL in addition to normal recovery gear and my bugout bag..lol

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
why no chains?
simple. what would you rather get hit in the head with, a cloth strap, or a steel chain. those things, when they break under heavy load, becomes a slingshot/projectile, and you know where it's heading? that's right, straight to where the other end is, right back to the vehicle.

if you are still stuck on using chains, make sure no one is within the kill zone, and if one needs to be (winch operator), then you better make it be yourself.
put your hood up when doing a snatch type recovery with straps, and especially if you insist on using chain. but this is where i stress, no chains. they can be used safely in a winch type recovery with no power added from the stuck vehicle, but can still let go depending on resistance. even a 5/8 chain (13000lb WLL) is only as strong as the hook attached to it. which is usually only 3500lbs (WLL).
use D shackles instead, 3/4 inch is perfect and has from 6500 to 9500lb WLL, which should be marked on the shackle. stay away from ones that don't.

that's also the same reason i said no straps with integrated hooks. looped straps only, and there is a difference between tow straps and recovery straps, so make sure you choose accordingly.

and be weary of crappy do it yourself bumpers and shitty recovery points. they can kill you just the same.

btw, i'm a certified level 5 wreckmaster.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Jeep school
I believe the OG’s burned it down. Anyone who’s first Jeep wasn’t a CJ5 is late to the game and has no business wheeling! Freaking rookies and their built Jeeps! How dare they spend money building a better rig without 20 years of experience under their belts. The nerve.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Servicing your rig at home for starters. You're not going to be able to change out a u joint or an axle shaft if the first time you ever touched that area is in the middle of a canyon without cell service.
So a noob has a brand new JL, and your suggesting that he change out u joints and axle shafts so that he can out on the trail???? I would think that a noob is not going to wheel hard enough to break those parts on a brand new JL.

This was a thread geared to a noob. He should be going out with others and learning how to wheel and as his Jeep friends build, Those skills to do advanced repairs will come.with the help of others. There are very few who ever tackled advanced repairs the first time all on their own. Someone took just about everyone under their wing and helped them along.

If your a noob and your going out on the trail with me, bring snacks, water and have the gas tank topped off, the rest of the group will help you along. Drop in between to more experienced drivers and have fun. The trail leader should to an extent help keep the noobs safe and injury free. The group as a whole should be helping the noob to have a positive experience. In our group, many of us even have an extra handheld radio that we can pass on to a noob so the noob can communicate with the group.

I always say to the new person, drive with in your skill set and stay below 70% of the vehicles capability. This will 99% of the time make for a trouble free great day on the trail.
Sponsored