Sponsored

How do the hard, soft, and bikini tops work with one another?

Wranglernator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubi Unlimited
Occupation
Evil Overlord
Hey all, just took delivery of my 2021 Rubi Unlimited with the dual top group (still trying to figure out how to remove the coffin-sized box from my rear by myself). I bought the Lange wireless hoist, so if that sucks, please don't tell me. This is my first Jeep that came with a hardtop, so please have mercy on me.

My question is, once you install the soft top hardware, do you need to remove it again to be able to put the hard top back on?

Same question with the Mopar Sunbonnet (bikini) top: Do you need to remove the mounting snaps to use the hard or soft tops?

I'm sure this is answered somewhere, but my searches haven't revealed much. TIA!
Sponsored

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I use a Racor lift with Topsy to lift my hardtop. Yes, the soft top bracketry has to be removed in order to re-install the hard top. Kind of a pain... I use the storage rack portion of the Racor to store the soft top in the winter. No idea about a bikini with either. Hope this helps!

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Nearly all of the Soft Top will need to be removed in order to reinstall the hard top, BUT it's a much simpler process than the initial install so don't worry about it too much.

Basically all of the components you mentioned don't work with one another, as they all occupy the same real estate above the windshield for a secure connection. The exception to this is that there are some bikinis like our Sun Bikini that don't use a header, and can remain installed under a hardtop or soft top.
Clear as mud? Let me know if you have any other questions. Welcome to Jeep ownership, I'm glad you're starting off with a soft top ;)

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Sponsored