Sponsored

How do sensor pins for e-locker wiring harness work?

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
I've recently swapped both axles on my JLUS with factory Rubicon axles (M210 & M220 with e-lockers), built my own wiring harness following advice in this thread, and got everything to work fine.

The wiring harness is built the same as the one mopar sells, meaning there are only two connections, + load and - ground. With everything properly connected to a power source and ground, closing and opening the circuit will respectively engage and disengage the locker.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to also interface with the sensor to understand when the locker (dis)engages. Both in the screenshot below and the wiring diagram, pin 4 (ground) is referred to as "locker return". Based on the naming convention sounds like pin 3, "locker sensor return", would also be ground?

Jeep Wrangler JL How do sensor pins for e-locker wiring harness work? 1629421738327

(Screenshot from connectors.mopar.com page for the locker connector)

My hypothesis is that the circuit between pins 2 "locker sense" and 3 "sensor return" closes when the locker engages, and remains open otherwise. Reasoning:
  1. Recommended minimum gauge for pins 1 and 4 is 0.75mm, rated for 6A -- makes sense since it takes some power to activate the solenoids that engage the locker.
  2. Recommended minimum gauge for pins 2 and 3 is 0.35mm, a much lower current rating (hinting at a separate circuit)
Has someone played around with these or would happen to have knowledge of how the circuit works?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If the sensor is just a “switch”, polarity probably doesn’t matter. Circuit closes in one position and opens in the other. Is the circuit open on the locker disengaged? That’d probably confirm.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
From reading other threads that sensor is a Hall Effect sensor(?), and they connect to the BCM. I don’t know if anyone has figured out how to enable that monitoring in the dash.

Those sensors are notoriously unreliable, FCA is replacing entire axles to replace one sensor.
I hope it can be figured out just because.
Gregj

OP
OP
kurt rustle

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know if anyone has figured out how to enable that monitoring in the dash.
That'd be next level! My goal for now is a bit less ambitions, I'm just looking to understand how the circuit works so I can have some sort of indicator for the state of the lockers next to the control switches.