Sponsored

How do I stop my JL from reporting daily the mileage, oil condition etc.. t the Jeep dealer electronically?

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
So have you found the GPS tracker plugged into the OBD port?

Not joking, it's in most new fashion vehicles!!!
yupp usually the stealership would put it in for their inventory and some of them would charge the customer for it. i was shopping for a 4Xe and had found one in the lot, they wanted some 1200 USD since they installed some crap that i didnt want and was done for their inventory tracking. needless to say i didnt buy poop from them and went to a diff dealer to order mine. I have told the salesman to ensure nothing of such gets installed, he said "sure" .. will see 'bout that.

i just dont want some dude at the dealer to splice into a harness to install some crap. if they plug into the ODB port, thats an easy fix, but in most cases they would cut into a harness and leave it somewhere hidden inside the dash
Sponsored

gus2k

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I can' t see the board working without the ribbon cable. Just IMHO
You're absolutely right - disconnecting the ribbon cable inside (along with the antenna pigtails), in lieu of completely removing the daughtercard, would have the same effect. To the head unit, the modem is missing.

Sponsored

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
If you have a smart phone all this crap you are worried about and more is way more readily available to anyone that cares about our boring day to day machinations.

SedgesSoldiers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Sport Unlimited
I have yet to come across someone who has successfully removed the data transfer and anyone who thinks it’s only on the 8.4” screen is gravely mistaken. The SiriusXM Guardian is just a consumer portal service that enables the user to receive some of that information back for a price.

Manufacturers pull maintenance, braking, acceleration, climate settings, coordinates, etc. through multiple devices in a vehicle, not just the media system. If you ever connect a phone via cable or Bluetooth, they’ll pull contacts, phone calls, contact photos, coordinates, etc.

Should we be able to opt out, absolutely; however, in terms of Jeep, it’s a very small drop in the data bucket when compared to Google, Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, Tik Tok, and so on.

Want to change all that? Turn off your phone and smart watch, and drop off a handwritten letter at your representative’s home you arrived at using a bicycle for which you paid cash received from an anonymous source 7 months ago. No email, postal service, credit/debit card, automotive, or contact association allowed.
you can buy a faraday bag on Amazon to block your phone from transmitting cellular or gps signal. You could buy one and try moving it around, log into Jeep app and see if it can find the location. Or see if it can’t connect to a cellular network if you have WiFi hotspot subscription. My guess is the antenna could be above your head on the crossbar between the b-Pillar
Sponsored