Sponsored

How do I stop my JL from reporting daily the mileage, oil condition etc.. t the Jeep dealer electronically?

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I get what the OP is saying; would be cool if there was an opt-out option to disable tracking, data, etc.
Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Hated it for what reason? Tin Foil hat reasons?
It had a number of issues and had to be replaced. The second one also had issues but those were resolved after many trips into the dealership. Shortly after the entire vehicle had major issues and was replaced with my current 2021. During the replacement process I learned just how much information Jeep collected from my 8.4 systems about my vehicle usage, it was a rather shocking amount IMO. Took an attorney to get all of it.

YES don’t care for digital tracking aspect of the 8.4 system (to enhance the ownership experience)of my lawful personal activities. Frankly it’s none of Jeeps business how and where I drive my vehicle. But then I am from a career and generation that values privacy and does not need a Nanny to watch over my vehicle maintenance needs and functions. So if that’s a “tin foil hat” I will wear it with pride.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
During the replacement process I learned just how much information Jeep collected from my 8.4 systems about my vehicle usage, it was a rather shocking amount IMO. Took an attorney to get all of it.
Actually, I'm interested. Can you share some more examples of what kind of data was being collected? I don't think it does, but that wouldn't happen to include positional (longitude, latitude) data, would it?

So if that’s a “tin foil hat” I will wear it with pride.
As an IT professional who's significantly involved day-to-day with cybersecurity and infosec issues, actually, I don't blame you. You don't control what third parties obtain access to that data and how they are used for or against you (in ways both direct and indirect).

I would assume the correct way would be to remove the cellular antenna from the back of your uConnect radio. If I remember correctly, this also doubles as a GPS antenna? If so, you'll lose uConnect's navigational features as well. There may be a proper terminating resistor that you should put in it's place, but someone more skilled with electronics would better guide you there.

Best wishes with this. You're being sensible, and it's unfortunate that you're being ribbed for it.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Proud member of Team Tin Foil here. I ordered the 7” precisely to avoid Jeep’s data collection. Note that the 8.4” is now standard on many trims -- consumer data is a potentially big revenue steam for Stellantis.

Our personal data is being collected all the time, from all sorts of streams. I don’t like it, and I’m not willing to go full “cabin in the woods” yet, but I try to resist and stymie it where I reasonably can.

Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
The more I read, the more I am glad that I dumped the You"CON"ect and got my TEYES CC2+ ($250). Two years ago.

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have yet to come across someone who has successfully removed the data transfer and anyone who thinks it’s only on the 8.4” screen is gravely mistaken. The SiriusXM Guardian is just a consumer portal service that enables the user to receive some of that information back for a price.

Manufacturers pull maintenance, braking, acceleration, climate settings, coordinates, etc. through multiple devices in a vehicle, not just the media system. If you ever connect a phone via cable or Bluetooth, they’ll pull contacts, phone calls, contact photos, coordinates, etc.

Should we be able to opt out, absolutely; however, in terms of Jeep, it’s a very small drop in the data bucket when compared to Google, Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, Tik Tok, and so on.

Want to change all that? Turn off your phone and smart watch, and drop off a handwritten letter at your representative’s home you arrived at using a bicycle for which you paid cash received from an anonymous source 7 months ago. No email, postal service, credit/debit card, automotive, or contact association allowed.

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Actually, I'm interested. Can you share some more examples of what kind of data was being collected? I don't think it does, but that wouldn't happen to include positional (longitude, latitude) data, would it?

As an IT professional who's significantly involved day-to-day with cybersecurity and infosec issues, actually, I don't blame you. You don't control what third parties obtain access to that data and how they are used for or against you (in ways both direct and indirect).

I would assume the correct way would be to remove the cellular antenna from the back of your uConnect radio. If I remember correctly, this also doubles as a GPS antenna? If so, you'll lose uConnect's navigational features as well. There may be a proper terminating resistor that you should put in it's place, but someone more skilled with electronics would better guide you there.

Best wishes with this. You're being sensible, and it's unfortunate that you're being ribbed for it.
I can’t go into any more then I have already stated as that in formation would then fall under the NDA I signed.

I can say that if you press the call button and ask “Jeep” for a tow truck or directions they will know exactly where you are or if you press the SOS button there too they will know exactly where you are. As an IT professional you can fill in the blanks as to how easy it is for Jeep to collect the location data from the 8 system.