Sponsored

How do I reach the Freedom Panels?

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away
Once I install an Alien Sunshield how difficult is it to reach the latches to remove the Freedom Panels?
Is it a PITA?
Sponsored

TXRobD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma, 2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Once I install an Alien Sunshield how difficult is it to reach the latches to remove the Freedom Panels?
Is it a PITA?
It's easy on Spiderweb Shade. I'm sure it will be similar on Alien. The bungee cords are stretchy.

OP
OP
WES IV

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a PITA?
100% agreement with @1quick1 ... It's not incredibly difficult... to reach the latches behind your head you can stick a finger in there behind the shade, even if you have sausage links (full disclosure: I don't). The latches on the visor are partially covered by the shade. When you slip the panels back on, you'd just have to make sure the latch is open (flipped down). After removing so many times, I got used to it.

I like the Alien, but I think JTops did reaching the latches better. Their top has slots that line up with the rear latches and there's more clearance to get to the ones in front.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I ordered one of those. It was okay, but still going to be a pain, and was going to take some modification to make it draw tight. The final straw was that the adhesive velcro strip for the front made my Freedom panels fit weird. I use them a lot so didn't want to mess them or their weather seals up. I ended up sending the screen back. I'll just get a Sunrider as planned, and close it when I've had too much sun. Hopefully they'll make that retractable shade they teased us about by posting a poll.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i have the alien shade and it stays on all the time. i frequently take of my freedom panels. it is almost the same thing as not having the shade on.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Just to throw another idea out there, and by no means to suggest this a big issue, especial with the Rugged Ridge and Alien offerings described above, I was toying with my own DIY of a retractable mesh shade just as a "goof." It's not done.

#1 points to an existing full length mesh shade I made from Harbor Freight mesh, grommets and bungee balls from an idea I read here. It's not relevant here. In fact I'll remove it if/when I go with this hack.

#2 is a roller shade I bought in a big box store that I had an associate shorten to 42" in width if I remember correctly. I trashed the fabric shade that came with it and cut some of the extra mesh to the roller's width, and length to the windshield attachment points for Freedom Panels or soft top from the Sports Bar. I glued the mesh on with adhesive spray.

Additionally I bought two large hose clamps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hose_clamp and put some rubber backed adhesive on the side of the clamps that touch the JL, tightening the clamps around the "B" pillar on either side. You can see one such clamp to the right of the line for pointer #1 in the picture.

In each clamp I drilled two small holes and put these https://www.menards.com/main/window...rackets-2-pack/38-1052-82/p-1444443371382.htm on each side with some small nuts and bolts. The pin side of the roller goes on the passenger's side; the flat tab clutch spring side on the driver's side.

Before installing the shade I cocked the shade clutch a bit by turning the flat tab with a pair of plyers a few turns clockwise is you look upon the tab. With a little bend of the roller shade hardware that's bolted to the hose clamps, viola.

All that remains is to sew two neodymium magnets https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet into the end of the shade at the point where they are closest to the rig's windshield locking top hardware to keep it in place when in use.

The shade's not that cocked so when pulled back it doesn't flap back on the roller like....

"Tom" ..of "Tom and Jerry" cartoons : - )

If I finish it maybe I'll post it somewhere on the forum..maybe not. It's pretty kludgey and only until/if Bestop markets their retractable mesh top for the JL's front seat.

IMG_3140.JPG

Sponsored

jlc64uk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2021 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Assistant Principal
Vehicle Showcase
It's very easy. Installed mine couple days ago and just a little stretch of the material and its done.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
It's very easy. Installed mine couple days ago and just a little stretch of the material and its done.
I agree with this. However I wonder about stretching the mesh over time if the tension will decrease thereby causing more flapping=noise to the point where it will be as loud as the cooling fans were...
Sponsored