Sponsored

How do I get the front axle LCA bolts out?

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Not a flag nut. Jeep is on the ground. Also pressure or binding on the bolt should not prevent the nut from coming off.
Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Which of the sixty something Milwaukee impact wrenches is a good choice?

I have been using an old Ingersol Rand 1/2" air wrench for the tough nuts and occasionally reach for a small Dewalt battery impact driver to quickly spin a fastener into position.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Not a flag nut. Jeep is on the ground. Also pressure or binding on the bolt should not prevent the nut from coming off.
Shouldn’t be difference in pressure. The bolt squeezes the bushing sleeve in between the two tabs, the sleeve shouldn’t rotate with the CA.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Adding to the considerable number of responses because I was in the exact same situation as you. New Rubi, wanting to add the RH skid plates. I tried both my Dewalt cordless impact driver and impact wrench as well as longer wrenches and breaker bars with no luck. I couldn't get my Kobalt pneumatic impact wrench on with the wheels on, so I took them off and the Kobalt just barely got them loose. However...I have yet to be able to get the RH plates to get tight enough to not rattle. There are threads on that topic, as well. I just swapped out my LCA's from the Mopar 2" lift kit for some adjustable ones from Teraflex, and am leaving the RH skid plates off for now until I can figure out a way to get them tight enough so they stay tight and don't rattle.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Which of the sixty something Milwaukee impact wrenches is a good choice?

I have been using an old Ingersol Rand 1/2" air wrench for the tough nuts and occasionally reach for a small Dewalt battery impact driver to quickly spin a fastener into position.
I think it depends on what you've already got in the shop. I'd definitely go M18 the compact, mid, and high step up in power, but also in size. The mid may be a good all around compromise. You won't need one key.

I highly recommend the M12 3/8" ratchet, easily one of the most used tools in my garage, but it lacks a bit in the power department for breaking stuff loose. I have a M12 3/8 impact as a middle ground I use when a 1/2" isn't needed. The M12 stuff is tiny and really easy to maneuver.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
You guys fix/sell a lot of cats?. Ive never seen one before. What do you do there as a tech?

Last time I loosened them I jacked up the jeep and used a cheap amazon giant electric impact that I have (porter cable) Not cordless. It worked.
Seriously never seen a piece of Cat equipment before? I do everything from simple lube jobs to full rebuilds. Breaking down track on a dozer will absolutely destroy all of these electric impacts. Even the 3/4 drive ones. Lower control arms are not even on my radar for something that is tight. But not everyone has to torque things to the spec that I do on the regular.

CPN-05-2017-CAT-745-P04.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Seriously never seen a piece of Cat equipment before? I do everything from simple lube jobs to full rebuilds. Breaking down track on a dozer will absolutely destroy all of these electric impacts. Even the 3/4 drive ones. Lower control arms are not even on my radar for something that is tight. But not everyone has to torque things to the spec that I do on the regular.

Jeep Wrangler JL How do I get the front axle LCA bolts out? CPN-05-2017-CAT-745-P04
My bad. For some reason I thought you meant car and I made a bad joke.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I just finished this exact install (except still straining to the 190 ft-lbs on the front), working on garage floor.
I bought 3/4-drive sockets and a 3/4-two foot breaker bar. Did the trick for me.

BTW, the rear bolts and front driver slipped out easily (perfectly aligned). The last one, the front passenger. did not. To install the RH bolt I had to wratchet strap the axle a quarter inch to align.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
OK I am officially a failure. I but a socket on the bolt with a 1/2" breaker bar and used a jack to apply pressure to the head of the bolt to loosen it.

Then I used my so called 1000 ft/lbs of removal tq electric impact wrench on the nut.

It did not budge. Not a millimeter and the tool started to get hot and I could smell it.

This ish aint coming off in my garage.

So it is off to a shop with a lift where someone, maybe me, can do pull ups on a breaker bar until the nut comes off.

Anyway, I started this to add LCA / Axle skids. I now have longer LCAs so I will have those installed at the same time, maybe have them check the torque on my ball joints and who knows what else.

Bottom line.

I failed. Thanks for the advise though.

Sponsored

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

"Your Dream Garage" in Rosemead rents shop space by the hour. (I looked into it before mine---2ft breaker + 3ft pipe---finally came loose).

threejeeps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just did this last weekend. I used a few shots of PB blaster at night and my Milwaukee M18 mid-impact the next morning. I would not say the bolts came right off, but I got them off. I’ve only got 2000 miles on my Jeep so that probably helps too.

For re-torque I’m assuming the alignment shop will get them back to proper torque once I get that done. For now it’s paint marked at as tight as I could get.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
I just did this last weekend. I used a few shots of PB blaster at night and my Milwaukee M18 mid-impact the next morning. I would not say the bolts came right off, but I got them off. I’ve only got 2000 miles on my Jeep so that probably helps too.

For re-torque I’m assuming the alignment shop will get them back to proper torque once I get that done. For now it’s paint marked at as tight as I could get.
I bought some PB blaster but forgot to use it. Im over it now. Ill have a shop do it. Maybe check the tq on my ball joints as well. Jeep only have 400 miles on it.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
You've got five pages of replies... You can't give up now. Put some PB blaster on it and let it sit until morning. Then put a wrench in one side and let it spin around until it locked into something. Put the breaker bar on the other with an extension if need be and with enough leverage you should be good. Jack it up and put it on stands first so you have room to work.