Sponsored

How do I get the front axle LCA bolts out?

982500h

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
Lots of posts on how to apply more force, but only a couple on doing it smarter--relieve the binding force. If holding the bolt and the nut will not turn, then additional torque and lubricant/heat is needed. If holding nut and the bolt will not turn, very likely it's binding due to weight/pressure on it. I helped a friend remove and reinstall LCA multiple times (why? don't ask 🙄) on his new JT, and the key each time was using floor jack to cycle suspension until arms felt loosest. Gotta think more like Al than Tim the tool man.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Lots of posts on how to apply more force, but only a couple on doing it smarter--relieve the binding force. If holding the bolt and the nut will not turn, then additional torque and lubricant/heat is needed. If holding nut and the bolt will not turn, very likely it's binding due to weight/pressure on it. I helped a friend remove and reinstall LCA multiple times (why? don't ask 🙄) on his new JT, and the key each time was using floor jack to cycle suspension until arms felt loosest. Gotta think more like Al than Tim the tool man.
i assure you this isn't rocket science. if a lube tech at a dealership can do it anyone can.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
It's always easier to loosen the nut than the bolt if you can.

I had to remove the axle side nut on the LCA to put the FAD skid on. A little effort with a wrench broke the nut loose and I spun it right off.

One the nut is off, the bolt will spin a lot easier.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Like @jahysea mentioned…it probably has permanent threadlocker on it which should be heated to 500 deg F prior to removal if you’re having a hard time budging it.
Guess what happens to your bushings when you heat them to 500°… The lca’s don’t have thread locker from the factory. If the power tools won’t break the bolt loose, just do it the old fashioned way. Brute force and leverage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Yeah Im waiting until the new LCAs come in at this point. Then Ill try breaker bar + jack handle + jack + PB Blaster.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Yeah Im waiting until the new LCAs come in at this point. Then Ill try breaker bar + jack handle + jack + PB Blaster.
If that doesn’t do the trick, then maybe shout some nasty words at it. That always seems to do the trick for me. 😂

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
If that doesn’t do the trick, then maybe shout some nasty words at it. That always seems to do the trick for me. 😂
Im REALLY good at that.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Cute little toy that cost you way too much. I'm a tech at a Cat dealership, we've tried all of the electric impacts, Snap on, Matco, Ryobi, Dewalt, Ingersoll Rand, and Milwaukee. The Milwaukee is tops, followed by the Matco 20v then the Dewalt. The Snap on electric stuff is old technology that does not hold a candle to the modern stuff.
You guys fix/sell a lot of cats?. Ive never seen one before. What do you do there as a tech?

Last time I loosened them I jacked up the jeep and used a cheap amazon giant electric impact that I have (porter cable) Not cordless. It worked.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Cute little toy that cost you way too much. I'm a tech at a Cat dealership, we've tried all of the electric impacts, Snap on, Matco, Ryobi, Dewalt, Ingersoll Rand, and Milwaukee. The Milwaukee is tops, followed by the Matco 20v then the Dewalt. The Snap on electric stuff is old technology that does not hold a candle to the modern stuff.
I'll let the guys know in my shop and the two race teams I work for that they are using pieces of junk and need to throw them away then buy Milwaukee. Thanks for the advice, we all now will get the proper tools. I feel bad as I spent $300 on a piece of garbage but rest be assured, I threw it in the garbage and ordered a Milwaukee. Now I'll be able to remove and install fasteners. Up until now I never knew why I couldn't, now I know. Thanks for the help.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Did you take the dynamic load off of the bushings? You might have to let the tires touch the ground a little to get the pressure off of the LCA's

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Are you sure you’re not hammering a flag nut? I did that at first, then switched to the bolt head after realizing I was an idiot and my HF impact tore it right out.
It was a front CA, don’t remember if upper or lower.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Are you sure you’re not hammering a flag nut? I did that at first, then switched to the bolt head after realizing I was an idiot and my HF impact tore it right out.
It was a front CA, don’t remember if upper or lower.
If it was a flag nut, it wasn't a lower. The uppers are much smaller and require much less torque.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
More push-ups. Seriously though, jack the vehicle up and get it on jack stands. That’ll give you more room to work as well as get the load off the bolts (may have to jack a tie up to reduce the load completely). Don’t use a floor jack on a breaker bar, that’s a recipe for disaster.

Ok and my impact is team blue. Works pretty good too.
Sponsored