Sponsored

How do I get the front axle LCA bolts out?

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
There wasn't any thread locker on mine when I did it a couple weeks ago.

My 10 year old craftsman 19.2v cordless impact got em out, and it's only rated at 300 ft lbs. Had to let it hammer at it for a few seconds. Did you let it bang on it for a while?

You can throw a pipe on the breaker bar to give you some extra leverage. Your jack handle may work if you have a floor jack. Twice the length requires half the force.
Well itā€™s been so difficult I went ahead and ordered some longer MOPAR LCAs. I figured if I ever do get it off I might as well replace those while Im at it. So Ill wait until they arrive and try a jack handle. If that doesnt work a jack. Ill pick up some PB Blaster as well - cant hurt. Ill try the impact again.

But in the end, Im guessing I will have a shop do it.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The money you spend at a shop will probably buy you a decent impact.

Do you have a decent cordless drill kit (dewalt, milwaukee, etc.)? If so, you may be able to buy the matching "bare tool" impact for a decent price and use the same battery.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Also, don't let the torch comments scare you. You don't need a crazy oxy-acetaline cutting setup. Map and Propane torches are in the plumbing section of the hardware store. Gives you an excuse to do your own copper piping next time something happens at the house (I'd highly recommend shark bites instead, but at least it's a way to justify a new tool)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Also, don't let the torch comments scare you. You don't need a crazy oxy-acetaline cutting setup. Map and Propane torches are in the plumbing section of the hardware store. Gives you an excuse to do your own copper piping next time something happens at the house (I'd highly recommend shark bites instead, but at least it's a way to justify a new tool)
The sharkbites have made every ordinary man into, at the very least, an apprentice plumber......šŸ¤£

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Like said above. You jack handle can be used as a breaker bar extension or go buy a piece of 1ā€ sch 40 steel pipe about 30ā€ long. My breaker bar is an old 12 ga shotgun barrel thatā€™s 32ā€ long. Make sure you are using a six point socket, preferably an impact socket.

Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I agree. I have a simple propane torch used primarily for cooking. šŸ˜‚

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Well itā€™s been so difficult I went ahead and ordered some longer MOPAR LCAs. I figured if I ever do get it off I might as well replace those while Im at it. So Ill wait until they arrive and try a jack handle. If that doesnt work a jack. Ill pick up some PB Blaster as well - cant hurt. Ill try the impact again.

Like others have mentionedā€¦.have you let the impact do its thing for quite awhile? On my old, rusty 07 Yukon I sat for about 30 seconds or so until the darn suspension bolts broke free.

And like someone else mentioned, do you have the Jeep off the ground to relieve any torque lock issues?

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
What broke first, the bolt or the bar?
I was actually prying my exhaust pipe out of the way to remove transmission Pan on ā€˜07 Yukon. To be honestā€¦I was crazy nervous of the bar exploding apart. šŸ˜‚ Iā€™ve since included a beefier pry bar in the tool chest. šŸ˜‰

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
The money you spend at a shop will probably buy you a decent impact.

Do you have a decent cordless drill kit (dewalt, milwaukee, etc.)? If so, you may be able to buy the matching "bare tool" impact for a decent price and use the same battery.
I do have Dewalt cordless tools and multiple batteries so this is an option.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
I have propane torch I can use. I used my heat gun on the body mount bolts because I did not want to melt the pucks. Worked ok.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
Well like I mentioned I ordered front lcas so I will wait until they arrive before I attack it again.

I was bored after I failed yesterday so I installed front and read diff skids. DOAH!!! Just checked, now I need to remove the front diff skid to get that driver side lca bolt out.

Gives me something to do.

Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions. Im not giving up yet.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Here's my toy:
snapon1.jpeg
Cute little toy that cost you way too much. I'm a tech at a Cat dealership, we've tried all of the electric impacts, Snap on, Matco, Ryobi, Dewalt, Ingersoll Rand, and Milwaukee. The Milwaukee is tops, followed by the Matco 20v then the Dewalt. The Snap on electric stuff is old technology that does not hold a candle to the modern stuff.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
i would advise against heating the bolt, or if you do be very careful, very easy to over heat it or melt out your bushing

prybar with a long extention handle on and some mucsel should be fine, i have been using the handle to my jack for years as the extension, you need more power use the floor jack on the pry bar