Sponsored

How do I get the front axle LCA bolts out?

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Well I think my next option is my breaker bar and a jack and using the weight of the jeep.

I went out a purchased a longer 1/2” ratchet for the body mount bolts when I mounted the sliders. Then a bigger impact wrench for the LCA skids. Soon Ill need a bigger tool chest. 😂
Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Well I think my next option is my breaker bar and a jack and using the weight of the jeep..
I hope that does mean what I think it means. You are making this more difficult than it has to be. Long breaker bar or long breaker bar + torch.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The Kobalt 650 rated one works as well. Saw a YT video with a guy using it after mine didn’t budge.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I used a DeWalt XR impact on mine. I didn't have any trouble breaking them loose, but I fought to get the bolts out. Key was to jack up the axle just the right amount to relieve the tension. The tension was considerable.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
I hope that does mean what I think it means. You are making this more difficult than it has to be. Long breaker bar or long breaker bar + torch.
It means Im going to use a breaker bar on the nut and a jack on the end to jack it up under the jeep. I clearly dont have the strength ot leverage needed to get these bolts out. If I had an actual lift, I could raise the jeep and use my entire weight to pull down on the breaker bar and prob get it loose.

What did you think it means?

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It means Im going to use a breaker bar on the nut and a jack on the end to jack it up under the jeep. I clearly dont have the strength ot leverage needed to get these bolts out. If I had an actual lift, I could raise the jeep and use my entire weight to pull down on the breaker bar and prob get it loose.

What did you think it means?
That’s what I thought it meant and it sounds like a bad/dangerous idea to me.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I do luv me some snap-on ..........that was my tool of choice back when I was wrenching for my rent & groceries........:)
Interesting part is I got that because we had a mechanic that went MIA for 8 months. So the Snap On guy took all of the tools back that the mechanic owed money on. After 3 months, he just sold it to me for what the guy owed on it (which was $300). Then after the 8 months, the guy came back and picked up his toolbox and we never heard from him again. This gun was literally brand new and used maybe once or twice.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
I’m surprised no one has mentioned PB Blaster yet. Can’t hurt. Let it soak for 45 minutes and try again.
It cant hurt but jeep is only a week old with under 200 miles. No corrosion yet.

Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
I used a Bauer and it never loosened any of my front lower control arm bolts. Got my Milwaukee impact wrench and it had no problems taking those bolts off.
My Milwaukee 1/2 impact wouldn't take them off either. I used a breaker bar to get them off and some elbow grease. Hit it with some penetrating spray as well.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yes, but it might help with any thread locker.
There wasn't any thread locker on mine when I did it a couple weeks ago.

My 10 year old craftsman 19.2v cordless impact got em out, and it's only rated at 300 ft lbs. Had to let it hammer at it for a few seconds. Did you let it bang on it for a while?

You can throw a pipe on the breaker bar to give you some extra leverage. Your jack handle may work if you have a floor jack. Twice the length requires half the force.
Sponsored