Sponsored

How do I get the front axle LCA bolts out?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I hate to be that guy that asks what everything is thinking but…..are you sure you’re trying to turn it the correct direction? Righty tighty lefty loosy et al…
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
@rkwfxd if it makes you feel any better I was in so much pain for 3 days after retorqing all my bolts I could barely wash my hair. I’ve snapped a few bones over the years, but I think being out of shape was my primary problem. That alone may be worth the shop doing it.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
😂. You guys are killing me.

Sarge50

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 2008 Mazdaspeed3
Just did the lower LCA swap today in my garage on the floor. Front bolts would not budge with my new Dewalt XR. As per Dewalt Up to 700 ft-lbs of max torque and 1200 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque. Wouldn't budge. I used a Wright 15/16 boxed end wrench and a Floor Jack to put upward pressure and made sure the boxed end was flush. This did the trick. Saved me 100$ and time taking it to a local shop who quoted 1.3 hours to replace. Took me all of 30 minutes to do both sides. Very easy once you get the nuts loose. Dewalt torqued it to over 150 FT Lbs checked with a calibrated Torque wrench.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just did the lower LCA swap today in my garage on the floor. Front bolts would not budge with my new Dewalt XR. As per Dewalt Up to 700 ft-lbs of max torque and 1200 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque. Wouldn't budge. I used a Wright 15/16 boxed end wrench and a Floor Jack to put upward pressure and made sure the boxed end was flush. This did the trick. Saved me 100$ and time taking it to a local shop who quoted 1.3 hours to replace. Took me all of 30 minutes to do both sides. Very easy once you get the nuts loose. Dewalt torqued it to over 150 FT Lbs checked with a calibrated Torque wrench.
You tightened your bolts with an impact? Hope they don't snap. You never want to do that.

Last edited:

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
You tightened your bolts with an impact? Hope they don't snap. You never want to do that.
1.) He never said that. 2.) there is nothing wrong with tightening bolts with an impact wrench and finishing them with a torque wrench.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
1.) He never said that. 2.) there is nothing wrong with tightening bolts with an impact wrench and finishing them with a torque wrench.
Uh, read his post again. Also running bolts up with an impact is still a bad idea.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but you can go to 130 ft lbs and then go 40° rotation of the bolt with an impact like the factory spec. (Double check that bolt torque and degree spec! It’s been a while so don’t trust my memory.) There’s a bolt torque table around here with that info.
That’s how I had to do mine as my torque wrench at the time stopped at 150.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Uh, read his post again. Also running bolts up with an impact is still a bad idea.
Uh, how bout you read his post again. Comprehension matter.

Anyhow, nothing wrong with using impact wrench to tighten. It’s quite common. They are variable speed and force and you’d have to really not know what you’re doing to overtighten or break a bolt with one. The more common risk is cross threading if don’t get the bolts started by had first. But again, you can be as slow and cautious with an impact gun as any other tool.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Uh, how bout you read his post again. Comprehension matter.

Anyhow, nothing wrong with using impact wrench to tighten. It’s quite common. They are variable speed and force and you’d have to really not know what you’re doing to overtighten or break a bolt with one. The more common risk is cross threading if don’t get the bolts started by had first. But again, you can be as slow and cautious with an impact gun as any other tool.
Well I guess my comprehension of "Dewalt torqued it to over 150 FT Lbs checked with a calibrated Torque wrench." needs some work. Anyway, to each his own.

Sarge50

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 2008 Mazdaspeed3

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Not to beat a dead horse, but you always torque Nuts if possible. Bolts if it is a captive fastener. I am a retired aircraft mechanic, I know a few things about hardware and standard torque tables. There is a great table in Army TM 1-1500-204-9 Also great info on tools in general and is available on the web.
http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/P...ance_Technical_Manuals/TM_1-1500-204-23-9.pdf
F-16 Crew Chief and automotive machinist once upon a time here. I get stink eye when I ask that my lug nuts not have a torque stick used on them. I feel like it’s a reasonable request. It’s not like it’s rocket science knowledge I’m asking for. lol

It’s difficult to find people who care anymore. They’d rather use their calibrated elbow, so to speak, not understanding proper bolt stretch.
Sponsored