Sponsored

How do different colors hold up to the abuse of branches running along side of the Jeep?

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I am sorting out the specifics of our new 2 door Rubicon order that we are about to place. Conventional wisdom holds (or held) that White was the best color for a vehicle that was going to be off roaded as it is the best at hiding scratches. With today's improved paints is that still true? I want to wheel this new Jeep on occasion but still need it to clean up well, look good and be my daily driver. I don't plan on doing anything extreme with it, but I do expect some narrow trail riding and general off roading.

What is your thought on how different colors hold up to the abuse of branches running along side of the Jeep? I was all set on White until I saw on in Granite Crystal Metallic.....
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I am sorting out the specifics of our new 2 door Rubicon order that we are about to place. Conventional wisdom holds (or held) that White was the best color for a vehicle that was going to be off roaded as it is the best at hiding scratches. With today's improved paints is that still true? I want to wheel this new Jeep on occasion but still need it to clean up well, look good and be my daily driver. I don't plan on doing anything extreme with it, but I do expect some narrow trail riding and general off roading.

What is your thought on how different colors hold up to the abuse of branches running along side of the Jeep? I was all set on White until I saw on in Granite Crystal Metallic.....
Buy the color you want. Don't settle for something else based on the 1% of total off road driving you will do.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I've had plenty of white vehicles and could see swirls and scratches from 10 feet away.

I think the color that has worked best for not showing imperfections, or dirt, has been the med-dark metallic greys, like Granite Crystal.

At least for me, but I'm in South Florida, sunlight shinning on metallic paint seems to help hide the small scratches, and the road dirt tends to be grayish down here.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
You're going to see them regardless. I have a dark grey pick up that I have offroaded for years, and see the pinstriping pretty easily. I finished a long trip through northern AZ this summer and my Jeep got pin striped like nobody's business. I will say with white, is that the only way I can see it is if I look at it at an angle. (Like its in my garage with the door open and its bright outside). Now the black fenders and black top, super noticeable. Actually more noticeable than I thought it would be. I probably should have got the color matching top if I cared enough.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The darker the color, the easier it is to see paint imperfections.

In general, silver hides scratches —and dirt— better than most other colors.

But you are going to see trail striping on a Jeep no matter what color.

Applying a couple of coats of paint protectant beforehand, like a synthetic polymer —e.g., Crystal-Glo, Klasse— or a ceramic coating, will likely minimize the damage to the paint from small branches and such.

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
White here. No issues. I even have the white fenders and have done pretty well. Once the fenders are too battle scarred I'll either replace them with black or get them Line-X'd.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Granite here. Some Pennsylvania pinstripes from AOAA and Jersey Pinelands. Surprisingly not bad considering what it sounded like going through the narrow trails.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

my granite crystal is full of beautiful pinstrips. It wears them with honor of not being a mall crawler. I also tell people who ask how i handle my jeep being scratched up, Its Ok to scratch it on the trail but its not ok for some dinbat to doording the f out of it. all in all Granite shows it even with clay bar and good wax on it every 4-6 months

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Mojito seems to hide pinstriping rather well, at least until it goes down to the dark primer.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Billet Silver here - was prepared to live with pinstripes from my recent Colorado vacation but honestly, don’t notice them even in bright sunshine. Of course, I experienced a light brushing on the trails, not stretches of gouging branches. I would expect to see lots of markings after that, no matter what color my Jeep was. Just have fun!

wellmane450

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Black Here - Terrible. Haha. When I got home from a weekend trail ride and washed the Jeep, I almost cried. I bought a scratch remover kit for my drill and a buffer. Almost all of them are gone now, but that was 5-6 hours of work.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Black shows every tiny scratch... But, that's why I bought my Jeep, to have fun with it, not to worry about scratches :)
Sponsored