Sponsored

How did your factory JL cage hold up in a flop/roll over?

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Well so far it looks like the factory cage is just fine for “normal” use.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
Factory cage is very thin sheet metal . Don't count on it helping with anything.
IDK. From images and videos it looks to me like it holds up pretty well in a typical rock crawling roll over.

But what did you replace yours with?

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
IDK. From images and videos it looks to me like it holds up pretty well in a typical rock crawling roll over.

But what did you replace yours with?
I haven't replaced mine. I REALLY like the Genright cage but that a,big lift to get that thing assembled and installed.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
No first hand experience, but it should hold up a lot better than the JK’s. Their problem area was the A-pillar/windshield frame, and now they are separate pieces, it should be a lot stronger.

Interested to hear people’s stories!
That was the problem I had.

110BE288-538A-4718-8E97-DAD170B8C014.jpeg

BA6B563F-780D-4AD2-B35E-89E14AABCEBE.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
GenRight Cage was ordered a year ago yesterday. Lol.

They're almost ready to ship. Jeep is waiting for the cage and the body work. Body shop scheduled for Dec 1.

The factory sport bar will help survive a crash, but the Jeep will likely be totaled. The person I bought this Jeep from; his insurance company totaled this Jeep. I, in turn, bought from his insurance company.

Jeep Wrangler JL How did your factory JL cage hold up in a flop/roll over? BA6B563F-780D-4AD2-B35E-89E14AABCEBE
You have way more patience than I do, a year plus for a cage? I would have long since paid a local fab shop or bought a bender and figured it out with that lead time.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
You have way more patience than I do, a year plus for a cage? I would have long since paid a local fab shop or bought a bender and figured it out with that lead time.
If that was all I waiting on, I agree. Being #3 on the pre-order list saved me a bunch since I didn't pay any price increases and I got the V-bar, X-bar, and B-pillar chop for free. They also split shipping with me.

I looked many times into buying the equipment, but I couldn't justify the cost or the space it would take up since I don't have cage jobs rolling in and out of here on a regularly basis. If I had a business case, I would have already bought the Rogue Fab stuff.

The price of material was something else I looked into. The tubing is anywhere between $9-13/foot. I need roughly 96 feet of tubing or so.

It's been a long wait, but this project has been waiting on all sorts of stuff. The axles, I waited 211 days for.

Pain Train went to the body shop finally yesterday morning. The X-Bar showed up yesterday and the rest of the cage and my front bumper show up today.

Patience is something I don't have a lot of, but I knew this project was going to be tied up in supply hell when I started so I was mentally prepared to be disappointed for an extended period of time. A few more months and I'll have it on the road finally.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If that was all I waiting on, I agree. Being #3 on the pre-order list saved me a bunch since I didn't pay any price increases and I got the V-bar, X-bar, and B-pillar chop for free. They also split shipping with me.

I looked many times into buying the equipment, but I couldn't justify the cost or the space it would take up since I don't have cage jobs rolling in and out of here on a regularly basis. If I had a business case, I would have already bought the Rogue Fab stuff.

The price of material was something else I looked into. The tubing is anywhere between $9-13/foot. I need roughly 96 feet of tubing or so.

It's been a long wait, but this project has been waiting on all sorts of stuff. The axles, I waited 211 days for.

Pain Train went to the body shop finally yesterday morning. The X-Bar showed up yesterday and the rest of the cage and my front bumper show up today.

Patience is something I don't have a lot of, but I knew this project was going to be tied up in supply hell when I started so I was mentally prepared to be disappointed for an extended period of time. A few more months and I'll have it on the road finally.
Good luck with the build, look forward to seeing the finished product. It's amazing that the supply chain is still so f'd. Electrical switchgear and breakers used to be 6-8weeks, we got a quote for 99 weeks the other day. Ridiculous.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Good luck with the build, look forward to seeing the finished product. It's amazing that the supply chain is still so f'd. Electrical switchgear and breakers used to be 6-8weeks, we got a quote for 99 weeks the other day. Ridiculous.
Jesus... Lol.

Lead times - I have decided that if I can make a baby faster than getting parts; the lead time is unacceptable.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Did you happen to flop or roll your JL off road or on road? If so, sorry, but also, how did the factory cage hold up?
I think folks are answering this question in two distinct ways.

The first is:
"I'm going four wheeling and I don't expect to roll, but in the unlikely event of a roll, will my Jeep protect me and the other occupants?"

To that, I think the answer is solidly yes. There are a couple examples in this thread, and I'll give you this one as well: https://www.4xeforums.com/threads/i...-of-the-4xe-a-problem-for-hard-wheeling.1053/

I've been on the hill where that roll occured, so even though I didn't see the crash, I can attest it was gnarly. Still, the driver was not injured.

The second is:
"I'm going to wheel my jeep hard enough that rollovers are a reasonably likely occurrence. I want to be able tip my Jeep back ride side up, replace the fluids and maybe the fenders, and get back to it."

For that, well, the factory cage is probably not sufficient. If you roll the factory cage hard, there's a fair chance the jeep will be totalled out, and the cage will have to be replaced at that point.

We can debate whether, if you want to use your jeep in this way, maybe the best starting point for the build might be a salvage-title jeep that's *already* been rolled. But that's a topic for another time.

tl;dr:
The factory cage is fine "one-time-use" protection -- strong enough to protect the occupants, but not strong enough to be re-usable. For that you need a fabricated tube cage.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
I think folks are answering this question in two distinct ways.

The first is:
"I'm going four wheeling and I don't expect to roll, but in the unlikely event of a roll, will my Jeep protect me and the other occupants?"

To that, I think the answer is solidly yes. There are a couple examples in this thread, and I'll give you this one as well: https://www.4xeforums.com/threads/i...-of-the-4xe-a-problem-for-hard-wheeling.1053/

I've been on the hill where that roll occured, so even though I didn't see the crash, I can attest it was gnarly. Still, the driver was not injured.

The second is:
"I'm going to wheel my jeep hard enough that rollovers are a reasonably likely occurrence. I want to be able tip my Jeep back ride side up, replace the fluids and maybe the fenders, and get back to it."

For that, well, the factory cage is probably not sufficient. If you roll the factory cage hard, there's a fair chance the jeep will be totalled out, and the cage will have to be replaced at that point.

We can debate whether, if you want to use your jeep in this way, maybe the best starting point for the build might be a salvage-title jeep that's *already* been rolled. But that's a topic for another time.

tl;dr:
The factory cage is fine "one-time-use" protection -- strong enough to protect the occupants, but not strong enough to be re-usable. For that you need a fabricated tube cage.
I think you are correct. My goal is to avoid even a flop let alone a roll. Im not above taking the bypass or easy line.

But mistakes happen and if I make one it appears I will probably live to make more.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
GenRight Cage was ordered a year ago yesterday. Lol.

They're almost ready to ship. Jeep is waiting for the cage and the body work. Body shop scheduled for Dec 1.

The factory sport bar will help survive a crash, but the Jeep will likely be totaled. The person I bought this Jeep from; his insurance company totaled this Jeep. I, in turn, bought from his insurance company.

835BBB64-1B2B-45AF-BF0E-68FEFCB7C1A6.jpeg
Hey Shawn:

I'm curious. While I imagine this varies with each State, and while I am not certain that this is a route you will take, what steps are involved, if any, in getting a vehicle's title changed from the presumptively salvaged status this one currently has, to a "street legal/worthy" one in your North Carolina?

Perhaps you will exclusively use this vehicle off road where such bureaucratic steps aren't needed.

Thanks.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hey Shawn:

I'm curious. While I imagine this varies with each State, and while I am not certain that this is a route you will take, what steps are involved, if any, in getting a vehicle's title changed from the presumptively salvaged status this one currently has, to a "street legal/worthy" one in your North Carolina?

Perhaps you will exclusively use this vehicle off road where such bureaucratic steps aren't needed.

Thanks.
In NC, the only thing you need to do is set-up an inspection with the Vehicle Theft department before you get the work done and once again when the work is complete. After that, the title will be returned as "Salvage Rebuilt". After this, you can register and insure it.

This one was totaled by the previous owners insurance. However, the title went through the NC process and was mailed to me branded "Salvage Rebuilt" already. I didn't notice this until the inspector showed up here at the house to look at everything.

I had set-up the initial inspection, they showed up, and said you're already good to go. Just finish the vehicle, get it inspected, and register it.

It's an easy process. I just got lucky with a screw up at the title office in Raleigh.

It'll be back on the highway here in 3-4 months. Total of 18-20 months since resurrecting it began.

EDIT - Title is branded "Salvage" prior to the inspection and coming back as "Salvage Rebuilt" after being inspected. "Salvage" titles cannot be insured or registered.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
Looks like significant damage but passengers were OK?

Did you repair the jeep?
Jeep got totaled by insurance, but my wife, my daughter and I all walked away without a scratch, except my wife’s knee from crawling out on the broken glass. Everything was secured in the Jeep so nothing went flying around. I did get ice water front the cooler in the back seat down, or up, my back. I drove it back to our hotel, but wasn’t gonna drive it all the way home like that. Had some people from my Jeep club REALLY come through for me and get me home.
I wasn’t sure if it would leak at the bottom of the windshield , and it’s a daily driver, so I had to take the insurance money and order my 2-door, 3.6, manual Rubicon. Although, I do miss that Jeep
Sponsored