First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Got my 2.0T because it was the only used JL in my price during the emergency buy I had to make. It was any easy choice.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Which was my point.

I've also seen a gasoline powered vehicle explode once. Only the future electric JL can escape this demise.

I disagree that direct injection automatically means there will be carbon buildup on the valves. Standard maintenance? I must have missed that part in the owner's manual.

Maybe not. But until we know, everything else is just speculation. Personally I find it hard to believe anyone would design an engine without at least attempting to fix the problems found in previous generations.
Youā€™re just in denial of the plain and obvious facts that GDI motors build carbon on valves. There arenā€™t any secret design chances on Jeepā€™s 2.0l that will avoid this.
Also, your users guide is not a maintenance manual.

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
Is it possible that a manufacture has solved the carbon buildup issue? The catch cans that have been installed on 2.0s haven't really been able to catch much of that sweet SN+ oil, making me think that it either doesn't have much blow-by or the PCV oil separator is well designed (or both).
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...2-0t-catch-can-kit.27322/page-24#post-1004586

I know you can get crank windows, but it must really be a base model if it didn't come with a starter motor.
I'm sure you understand.........I'd hope at least.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
But until we know, everything else is just speculation. Personally I find it hard to believe anyone would design an engine without at least attempting to fix the problems found in previous generations.
All apologies, but it's not speculation. They use direct injection for slightly better emissions and gas mileage. With complete disregard for any problems outside the warranty. When it starts misfiring, expect them to blame wear and tear and charge you $800-1500 to clear it up until next time.

Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Which was my point.

I've also seen a gasoline powered vehicle explode once. Only the future electric JL can escape this demise.
The engineers at Samsung in the battery department will tend to disagree with you.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
No replacement for displacement.
I love how this old saying keeps coming up. What's the displacement on a Tesla, in particular the upcoming Model S Plaid that hits 0-60 in under 2.0 seconds?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
ā€œYou can get a quieter 2.0 if you order a Rubicon or Sahara 2.0 WITH the 8.4" Alpine. The 2.0 with the larger infotainment option includes electronic Automatic Noise Cancelling.l

Where are you getting this information? I find no reference to Active Noise Cancellation in the Wrangler owners manual. The GC has that option, and it is stated in the OM. Perhaps there is more sound deadening materials in those two packages?
There are threads about ANC. I also contacted Jeep Cares and the person I talked with confirmed it. I will double check but I believe it was also on my window sticker.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ation-feature-comes-to-jeep-wrangler-jl.2219/

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Youā€™re just in denial of the plain and obvious facts that GDI motors build carbon on valves. There arenā€™t any secret design chances on Jeepā€™s 2.0l that will avoid this.
The thing is, I'm really not. I know it's something to watch out for on direct injection motors, and have never stopped looking for evidence that it's going to be a problem on this specific engine. This is why I specifically asked about the 2.0 here. So far, I have not been able to find anything specifically showing the severity of carbon buildup on a 2.0. Is it building up? Maybe. Will it be a problem at 100,000 miles? Maybe. Could the buildup be so slow that the piston rings fail first? Unknown.

This is Schrƶdinger's intake valve. It can be thought to have massive carbon buildup issues, and no carbon buildup at the same time. Nobody knows until you look in the box intake manifold.

Also, your users guide is not a maintenance manual.
Since we're going there, the owner's manual does have a maintenance plan on pages 431-433 in mine. It goes up to 150,000 miles & 15 years, yet states nothing about intake valve cleaning as being "part of standard maintenance on these engines". Now, maybe I haven't received my maintenance manual yet, but I'm not even sure sure such a thing exists. Please post a link if you have it.

All apologies, but it's not speculation. They use direct injection for slightly better emissions and gas mileage. With complete disregard for any problems outside the warranty. When it starts misfiring, expect them to blame wear and tear and charge you $800-1500 to clear it up until next time.
You may be correct, but we have very different definitions of speculation.

Anyone with a high-mileage out of warranty 2018... your input is needed.

Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Apparently, a byproduct of over 30 years of mechanical experience and its associated skillset, is being able to easily spot the knowers from the guessers/regurgitaters. The former are most certainly the minority here. These threads always remind me of that hotel commercial, where staying a night makes the guy an immediate authority on the subject. Only difference is that's mildly amusing, whereas it's kind of sad here because a fellow member is looking to make an informed purchase.
Welcome to the internet. Armchair experts have been around forever.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
The 2.0t is the way of the future. If I decide I want another 150+ hp out of it that's only a tune and maybe a turbo away. 3.6 will always be a lethargic inefficient gas pig.
I would argue that none of the current engines are the way of the future. I will be shocked if an all-electric Wrangler is available. I personally plan to simply convert mine when kits become available through the aftermarket. I figure the motors will have reached damn good efficiency, but more important battery technology will have improved with solid state being an option.

Pull the engine and fuel tank, hook the motor up to my 6-speed manual, install the battery and switch out the ECM and I am ready to rock n roll. I love my Jeep and why do I want to start over on customizations when it will be exactly what I want in less than a year. The other benefit of waiting is the charging network will be much more robust in 5 years.

That being said, if they come out with synthetic fuel I will just keep filling up and forget the electric conversion a bit longer.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I would argue that none of the current engines are the way of the future. I will be shocked if an all-electric Wrangler is available. I personally plan to simply convert mine when kits become available through the aftermarket. I figure the motors will have reached damn good efficiency, but more important battery technology will have improved with solid state being an option.

Pull the engine and fuel tank, hook the motor up to my 6-speed manual, install the battery and switch out the ECM and I am ready to rock n roll. I love my Jeep and why do I want to start over on customizations when it will be exactly what I want in less than a year. The other benefit of waiting is the charging network will be much more robust in 5 years.

That being said, if they come out with synthetic fuel I will just keep filling up and forget the electric conversion a bit longer.
My exact thoughts. If the synthetic fuel they are developing pans out it will be the way of the future.
Sponsored