Sponsored

How did you break in your JL upon delivery?

Dlit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL Recon
Clubs

Any best practices for proper break in on a new delivery?
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Here is the manual:

Engine Break-in Recommendations ā€” Gasoline Engine (If Equipped)

A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Yeah just drive it. Around town, some freeway driving. Donā€™t be flooring it and donā€™t worry about it.

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Make a beeline for the dirt. Ensure everything works and put a smile on your face.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Not really needed. Just vary RPM during first couple hundred miles be good practice, no cruise control maybe.
Nah, IMO the best idea is to set cruise control otherwise you look like a tool.
BUT use the manual shift in the jeep to shift the gears up and down to vary rpm.
Works great, then you really can vary RPM any time and anywhere while going on the interstate or highway etc.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Remove the backseat, throw down a soft blanket, climb in the back with your girl, andā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.. Yup. Great shock test. šŸ˜‰
Dang itā€¦ I wish I thought of that when I took delivery. The first thing I did was remove the seatā€¦ I could have tried that tactic on my wife. Of course I probably would have been slapped but as long as there is a will there is a way!

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Any best practices for proper break in on a new delivery?
I drove it easy the first 500 miles, varying throttle and speed keeping it under 60 until the gears were set.

Then I slapped her on the ass and took her wheeling. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜Ž

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
mine's the diesel; they say the the engine requires no break-in.
however, no matter how you feel about that, there's a lot more to the vehicle than the engine.

i drove mine gently until it was up to operating temps, then made an effort to continuously vary speed, throttle and load, gradually increasing maximum load. did this for the first few complete heat cycles, throwing some good extended highway and mountain driving into the early trips.
changed the oil, dif fluids and filters early and called it done.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I followed the break-in instructions exactly as described in the owner's manual. I don't understand why people spend good money on vehicles and either don't read the instructions or just choose to do something vastly different. To each his/her own, but I'm pretty sure there's a reason this information is provided. Worth following IMHO.

jonyothan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 2dr 2.0T, '10 BMW 335i
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Just dont red line it for the first 5000 miles. I drove mine super easy until its first oil change

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Remove the backseat, throw down a soft blanket, climb in the back with your girl, andā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.. Yup. Great shock test. šŸ˜‰

Dang itā€¦ I wish I thought of that when I took delivery. The first thing I did was remove the seatā€¦ I could have tried that tactic on my wife. Of course I probably would have been slapped but as long as there is a will there is a way!
Well itā€™s all in the approachā€¦. If you do it all romantic-sexy-like, she might be into it. Park it someplace nice and secluded, under the stars, etcā€¦
But if you tell her, ā€œHey Honey, I wanna test the shocks on the new Jeep and I need a lot of extra weight in the back; hop in!ā€ ā€” probably not gonna work. šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

Last edited: