Sponsored

How deep is too deep to water ford with factory air intake?

ErrolSmith

First Name
Errol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Jeep Wrangler JL How deep is too deep to water ford with factory air intake? IMG_7159

If you're installing a snorkel, consider routing the breather extensions into it. Pictured you can see the transmission breather extended into the duct. The diff breathers are extended into the air box.
Hey Punkn
2 things...
1) I notice you've got the RR snorkel.... How are finding that? Any issues with buckling/leaks around the hose clamps? I have seen high-intakes get snapped off the low-intake mount.. Review/thoughts? I love the concept just concerned about execution!
2) How have you got your ARB compressor mounted??? (That looks like the single) I'm looking at the twin-air in the under seat config, but if I can keep it out the cab, that's gotta be better...

Cheers

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Punkn
2 things...
1) I notice you've got the RR snorkel.... How are finding that? Any issues with buckling/leaks around the hose clamps? I have seen high-intakes get snapped off the low-intake mount.. Review/thoughts? I love the concept just concerned about execution!
2) How have you got your ARB compressor mounted??? (That looks like the single) I'm looking at the twin-air in the under seat config, but if I can keep it out the cab, that's gotta be better...

Cheers
No complaints on the RR Snorkel, however I haven't had it installed a very long time. I only use the high snorkel when off roading. I suppose it's possible to get it snagged on some branches and have it rip off, but I'd think the risk would be pretty low. How did you see it happen?

As for the ARB compressor check this video

"The best and worst location to install an ARB Compressor. 2020 Jeep Editions" on YouTube

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have had water over the hood for a few seconds and had the water deep enough that the rear tires floated and water to the bottom of the seat.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
First of all snorkels aren't for water fording, they're for reducing dust intake. That's why they are commonly found on desert vehicles with no water for miles.

A basic rule of thumb is the moment your lower door hinge goes underwater, head immediately for shallower water.

I have had water over the hood for a few seconds and had the water deep enough that the rear tires floated and water to the bottom of the seat.
You can get away with that very briefly if you are pushing forward but you are literally on the very edge of not moving forward anymore.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We crossed the Mojave river with water up to the fenders, no issues in the 25k miles since.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Something that really matters is your axle breather tubes. It will only be as high as they are. Moving all the breathers to be in the engine bay up at near the same height as the intake will increase fording ability.
Axles, t-case, trans, fuel tank breather...

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Ten feet is definitely too deep

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Water can cause all kinds of problems, even at 18” or less. For instance, a failed breather valve on a differential will cause all types of problems if not known...same with the transmission. My thoughts - get a boat if you want to play in water and do you best to avoid deep water altogether with your Jeep. Just not worth the risk....

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Water can cause all kinds of problems, even at 18” or less. For instance, a failed breather valve on a differential will cause all types of problems if not known...same with the transmission. My thoughts - get a boat if you want to play in water and do you best to avoid deep water altogether with your Jeep. Just not worth the risk....
I was just under the jeep, the dif hose is mounted to the underside of the rear floor, with the breather valve on that end, even if it failed you'd have to be up to the rear floor for water to get in. On a stock wrangler I'd guess this point is about 30" high (thus the approved fording depth). With our ~3" of lift and 37's, it's more like 35-36" high. As far as worth the risk, I guess it depends on what's on the other side.
Sponsored